PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Postgame Thread - Sox vs. Braves - 6/12/04

RKMeibalane
06-13-2004, 01:50 AM
Due to the message boards being down earlier, I have decided to start this thread in the event that anyone would like to reflect on Saturday's game. I have a few things I would like to say...

Well, Frank was at first base Saturday night, and look what happened.

:jerry

"I can't imagine any reason short of an emergency for playing Frank at first base."

:ozzie

"I think Frank should play first base this weekend."

:hurt

(3-4, 2 HR, 2 RBI, 2 R, BB)

Genius -------------------------------> :ozzie

****ing idiot -------------------------> :jerry

TornLabrum
06-13-2004, 01:52 AM
I don't think you'll see this as a regular thing. What you will see, I think, is Frank playing first base pretty frequently until interleague play is over.

HomeFish
06-13-2004, 01:53 AM
So, is it going to be Konerko at third tomorrow?

RKMeibalane
06-13-2004, 01:54 AM
I don't think you'll see this as a regular thing. What you will see, I think, is Frank playing first base pretty frequently until interleague play is over.
That's fine with me. I don't think Frank necessarily needs to play first base every single game, but I could never understand Manuel's outright refusal to put him there.

In other news, it looks like the Sox have found their closer. Shingo did a great job in the ninth inning. It's too bad it took this long for him to get an opportunity to close.

Whitesox029
06-13-2004, 01:54 AM
all I have to say:
SHING-O!
SHING-O!
SHING-O!
SHING-O!

Deadguy
06-13-2004, 01:55 AM
I hope Frank gets to play 1B in 5 out of the 6 games against Montreal and Florida. Taking a guy out of the lineup who gets on base 47% of the time he comes to the plate would really hurt our offense.

eurotrash35
06-13-2004, 01:55 AM
Pitching wasn't all there again, but I loved Uribe with that huge bases clearing double. The Cell is going to have a new rep after this homestand. Oh, and Shingo, what more can I say?

RKMeibalane
06-13-2004, 01:56 AM
So, is it going to be Konerko at third tomorrow?
Ozzie actually is considering that, given that both Frank and Paulie are swinging the bat well. Add that to the fact that Crede doesn't look comfortable at the plate, and there may be reason enough to put Konerko at third base, a position he hasn't played since 2000.

TornLabrum
all I have to say:
SHING-O!
SHING-O!
SHING-O!
SHING-O!
I think Shingo could feel the love tonight. Amazing how quickly we take to a player who actually does the job he was hired to do or steps into a role he should have been playing in the first place.

batmanZoSo
Due to the message boards being down earlier, I have decided to start this thread in the event that anyone would like to reflect on Saturday's game. I have a few things I would like to say...

:jerry

"I can't imagine any reason short of an emergency for playing Frank at first base."

"I think Frank should play first base this weekend."

:hurt

Genius -------------------------------> :ozzie

****ing idiot -------------------------> :jerry
Talk about swift results, huh? Frank is gonna start snappin.

StockdaleForVeep
Think of it, if season ended today, thomas would end the season with a 1.000 fielding percentage, gold glove nominee anyone? :)

Also as my sig states, harold put shingo in to close and i was amazed as the response sox fans made, u woulda thought this was the game decidin the division, not just a braves interleague game. Thankyou Harold-san, hopefully Oz and KW wont be mad u didnt put in their million dollar blunder in there. HAROLD KNOWS BASEBALL!

RKMeibalane
06-13-2004, 01:59 AM
Think of it, if season ended today, thomas would end the season with a 1.000 fielding percentage, gold glove nominee anyone? :)

:hitless

"This can't be allowed. I am the only one who can set fielding percentage records for the White Sox. I am the greatest!"

TornLabrum
06-13-2004, 01:59 AM
Ozzie actually is considering that, given that both Frank and Paulie are swinging the bat well. Add that to the fact that Crede doesn't look comfortable at the plate, and there may be reason enough to put Konerko at third base, a position he hasn't played since 2000.
Ozzie is definitely not considering playing Konerko at third base. Here is what was said at the WCSF luncheon yesterday:

Ozzie: "What did Konerko start out playing?"

Shout from Audience: "Catcher!"

Ozzie: "So he started at third base, and then they made him a catcher. There's a reason he's not playing either of those in the majors, and I'm not going to find out why."

He then said that all of the third base talk was media speculation because they have to write about something.

Deadguy
06-13-2004, 02:01 AM
I think Shingo could feel the love tonight. Amazing how quickly we take to a player who actually does the job he was hired to do or steps into a role he should have been playing in the first place.
So that's why nobody wanted to join my Jamie Navarro fan club.

RKMeibalane
06-13-2004, 02:03 AM
Ozzie is definitely not considering playing Konerko at third base. Here is what was said at the WCSF luncheon yesterday:

Ozzie: "What did Konerko start out playing?"

Shout from Audience: "Catcher!"

Ozzie: "So he started at third base, and then they made him a catcher. There's a reason he's not playing either of those in the majors, and I'm not going to find out why."

He then said that all of the third base talk was media speculation because they have to write about something.
There are conflicting reports about this issue then, because the Cubune has an article with quotes from Guillen talking about other teams bunting on the Sox with Frank and Paulie at the corners.

I don't think there's any harm in at least trying this out during Sunday's game. If it doesn't work, then Guillen is justified in keeping either Thomas or Konerko out of the lineup.

RKMeibalane
06-13-2004, 02:07 AM
Here is part of the article I was referring to:

While he has not made the final decision, Guillen is keeping with his initial "doubt" that Konerko will play third for the first time in years. This is an important choice because of the amount of offense being lost by benching either one, and it could come back to haunt Guillen.

"I don't want to take a chance," he said. "We would have Frank and Konerko at the corners and we're going to play two teams (Florida and Atlanta) who like to bunt a lot."

Left unsaid was that neither is a great fielder and neither is very fast, so they could get bunted to death. Who plays at first in Florida will be a tough decision, because each is swinging a hot bat.

It's unlikely that both will play infield positions next week, but not impossible. I think Ozzie should at least try it on Sunday to see if there's any chance it could work. I normally don't advocate tinkering of this magnitude, but Joe Crede is hurting the Sox offense.

TornLabrum
06-13-2004, 02:10 AM
There are conflicting reports about this issue then, because the Cubune has an article with quotes from Guillen talking about other teams bunting on the Sox with Frank and Paulie at the corners.

I don't think there's any harm in at least trying this out during Sunday's game. If it doesn't work, then Guillen is justified in keeping either Thomas or Konerko out of the lineup.
All I can do is report what he told a crowd of 50 people yesterday at the luncheon. Where the Tribune gets their reports...I have no idea.

TornLabrum
06-13-2004, 02:14 AM
Here is part of the article I was referring to:

While he has not made the final decision, Guillen is keeping with his initial "doubt" that Konerko will play third for the first time in years. This is an important choice because of the amount of offense being lost by benching either one, and it could come back to haunt Guillen.

"I don't want to take a chance," he said. "We would have Frank and Konerko at the corners and we're going to play two teams (Florida and Atlanta) who like to bunt a lot."

Left unsaid was that neither is a great fielder and neither is very fast, so they could get bunted to death. Who plays at first in Florida will be a tough decision, because each is swinging a hot bat.

It's unlikely that both will play infield positions next week, but not impossible. I think Ozzie should at least try it on Sunday to see if there's any chance it could work. I normally don't advocate tinkering of this magnitude, but Joe Crede is hurting the Sox offense.
This sounds to me like Ozzie is saying that it isn't going to happen and whoever the reporter is is trying to make a story that it might. I have no idea what's not to understand about, "I don't want to take a chance. We would have Frank and Konerko at the corners and we're going to play two teams (Florida and Atlanta) who like to bunt a lot."

The "would" means if you follow the premise that they would play first and third. This writer is making things up to fit his own premise.

RKMeibalane
06-13-2004, 02:14 AM
All I can do is report what he told a crowd of 50 people yesterday at the luncheon. Where the Tribune gets their reports...I have no idea. I understand that, and I agree that it's not likely this is going to happen. Having said that, it would not surprise me to see Ozzie change his mind. Crede is such a liability at the plate right now that starting him in a National League park leaves the Sox with two weakspots at the bottom of their lineup, with the pitcher also batting.

CF- Harris
2B- Uribe
1B- Thomas/Konerko
LF- Lee
SS- Valentin
RF- Gload/Rowand/Perez
3B- Crede
C- Olivo
P- Starting Pitcher

As opposed to:

CF- Harris
2B- Uribe
1B- Thomas
LF- Lee
SS- Valentin
3B- Konerko
RF- Gload/Rowand/Perez
C- Olivo
P- Starting Pitcher

TornLabrum
06-13-2004, 02:17 AM
I understand that, and I agree that it's not likely this is going to happen. Having said that, it would surprise me to see Ozzie change his mind. Crede is such a liability at the plate right now that starting him in a National League park leaves the Sox with two weakspots at the bottom of their lineup, with the pitcher also batting.
The problem I see is that if you do play Thomas and Konerko at the corners, you substitute two defensive liabilities for one offensive liability. If Crede's hits tonight are an indication that he's coming out of his funk, then the whole thing will be moot anyway.

From reading the Tribune quote, I'd say it's already moot except in the mind of one writer.

RKMeibalane
06-13-2004, 02:23 AM
The problem I see is that if you do play Thomas and Konerko at the corners, you substitute two defensive liabilities for one offensive liability. If Crede's hits tonight are an indication that he's coming out of his funk, then the whole thing will be moot anyway.

From reading the Tribune quote, I'd say it's already moot except in the mind of one writer.
Crede coming of his funk might be the only way this issue gets pushed aside. As long as his batting average hovers near the Mendoza line, there are going to be people in the media who want to get his bat out of the lineup. Of course, Ozzie reminded us earlier this year that he doesn't really care what the media thinks.

"I make out the ****ing lineup!"

The Cheat
06-13-2004, 02:23 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if we see Joe Borchard called up before Tuesday.

One of the Konerko/Thomas tandem is going to be sitting.

Uribe moves to third. Willie to Second. Rowand/Timo/Gload in CF. Borchard in RF.

Borchard can give the sox the power bat that is missing without Frank/Konerko in the line-up, and adds the dimension of switchhitting.

RKMeibalane
06-13-2004, 02:26 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if we see Joe Borchard called up before Tuesday.

One of the Konerko/Thomas tandem is going to be sitting.

Uribe moves to third. Willie to Second. Rowand/Timo/Gload in CF. Borchard in RF.

Borchard can give the sox the power bat that is missing without Frank/Konerko in the line-up, and adds the dimension of switchhitting. It's possible. Borchard has been swinging the bat well in Charlotte, and he has recovered from the quadricep injury that was hampering him earlier this month. I think this is going to be the time where the Sox really feel the loss of Maggs. Having his bat in the lineup would offset the absence of either Frank or Paulie. Instead, we're left watching the likes of Aaron Rowand, Time Perez, and Ross Gload in right field. Ugh! I hope this isn't a preview of next season.

RKMeibalane
06-13-2004, 02:33 AM
According to ESPN, the Sox are scheduled to face AJ Burnette on Tuesday, with Garland going for the Sox. Dontrelle Willis is starting tomorrow's game in Detroit, so the Sox won't have to worry about him.

StockdaleForVeep
06-13-2004, 02:46 AM
Im hopin if Oz knows if PK can pinch hit.

RKMeibalane
06-13-2004, 02:50 AM
Im hopin if Oz knows if PK can pinch hit.
It looks like Ozzie is going to decide who starts based on matchups. We'll have to wait and see what happens.

nitetrain8601
06-13-2004, 02:54 AM
Anyone see the crowd tonight? 34,000. That's a very nice crowd, even for fireworks night.

TornLabrum
06-13-2004, 03:10 AM
Anyone see the crowd tonight? 34,000. That's a very nice crowd, even for fireworks night.
I was in the crowd. The crowd was in the game, except for the couple in front of us who brought their three very young children to the game. I think I missed about a third of the game with their moving around and blocking my view.

TaylorStSox
06-13-2004, 03:35 AM
There's no way that Konerko plays 3rd. That's way too much of a defensive liability. It really doesn't matter what kind of offense you have when you can't defend the corners. Konerko's an awful 3rd baseman. Awful.

StockdaleForVeep
06-13-2004, 04:07 AM
I was in the crowd. The crowd was in the game, except for the couple in front of us who brought their three very young children to the game. I think I missed about a third of the game with their moving around and blocking my view.

Torn, u made me think up a question. Whats more annoying, young children(usually crying) or jerk bfs\regular guys who think they know somethin about baseball and decide to enlighten their friends\gfs who actually know nothing of the game\team.

TornLabrum
06-13-2004, 10:53 AM
Torn, u made me think up a question. Whats more annoying, young children(usually crying) or jerk bfs\regular guys who think they know somethin about baseball and decide to enlighten their friends\gfs who actually know nothing of the game\team.
People who stand in the aisle in front of you carrying on a conversation while the game is in a critical situation?

samram
06-13-2004, 10:57 AM
According to ESPN, the Sox are scheduled to face AJ Burnette on Tuesday, with Garland going for the Sox. Dontrelle Willis is starting tomorrow's game in Detroit, so the Sox won't have to worry about him.
And I believe they will face Beckett on Thursday, although they won't have to face Penny, unless Florida skips someone's spot.

SoxFan76
06-13-2004, 11:38 AM
Man, a day of graduation parties caused me to miss this game. Whenever I don't watch, it seems like the Sox not only win, but a lot of other good things happen within the game. GREAT news about the crowd. I am so happy to hear that. How many fans to the Cubs bring in? 38-39 I believe. Sorry, didn't want to mention the you-know-whos, but if the Sox want any respect in this town, they need to keep bringing in 34 thousand fans. Frank had a great game, Carlos extended the hitting streak, everything is good so far. Pitching struggled a little bit, but they have been so good this year, maybe the starting rotation as a whole is going through a little slump. If that's possible for 4 pitchers to go through a slump.

I'm just now getting to see the boards, I wasn't in any condition to leave the last graduation party last night so I had to stay there. It looks great.

Brian26
06-13-2004, 12:25 PM
It's great that the Sox were able to win that game last night on WGN - a national forum. The atmosphere at Comiskey seemed almost like a playoff-intense atmosphere. The club looked really like a family congratulating Shingo when he got the save. The park was jammed and it looked like THE place to be last night.

FarWestChicago
06-13-2004, 12:29 PM
It's great that the Sox were able to win that game last night on WGN - a national forum. The atmosphere at Comiskey seemed almost like a playoff-intense atmosphere. The club looked really like a family congratulating Shingo when he got the save. The park was jammed and it looked like THE place to be last night.I was able to watch the game while performing the mother of all upgrades. I was so burned out after several hours of work. That big finish really helped.

http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/banana.gif

A.T. Money
06-13-2004, 12:39 PM
I was in this crowd as well, and let me tell you...it was awesome!

I was telling my girlfriend, that before the strike, this was how all Saturday night games were.

A.T. Money
06-13-2004, 12:41 PM
I was able to watch the game while performing the mother of all upgrades. I was so burned out after several hours of work. That big finish really helped.

http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/banana.gif
You did good man, you did good.

I know how tough it can be too believe me...I've been there. :bandance:

Brian26
06-13-2004, 12:45 PM
I was in this crowd as well, and let me tell you...it was awesome!

I was telling my girlfriend, that before the strike, this was how all Saturday night games were.
It's funny that you mention that...Last night I was thinking about how much the game reminded me of a 1993/1994 White Sox game. It seemed like back then, EVERY Sox Saturday night home game was on WGN, and they ALWAYS won, usually with big, dramatic hits. The park would always be jammed, there would always be a slight haze floating over the field due to all the fireworks, and Hawk would always give the totals at the end with fireworks going off in the background.

maurice
06-14-2004, 01:06 PM
Exciting game and a great crowd. Deuce, Mrs. (Lt.) Deuce, Mrs. (Dr.) Maurice, and I had a great time. I had some fun riding Andruw Jones, and somebody in the bleachers brought a blowup doll instead of a beach ball.

:duck:

rahulsekhar
06-14-2004, 01:32 PM

anyone else think a not-too-unlikely scenario is that when we get out of the NL parks, Frank's going to bo so hot that Ozzie's going to HAVE to keep playing him at 1B? A week of games like this weekend and it's going to be another in a long line of evidence that Frank @1B can be about the most dangerous hitter inthe game, second only to Bonds.