PDA

View Full Version : Frank at First Base This Weekend

RKMeibalane
06-12-2004, 03:30 PM
If Frank Thomas is to see any significant action next week in Florida and Montreal, it will be as a first baseman. With that in mind, the Sox plan to give the veteran designated hitter a start or two at first base this weekend.

"Any player who misses many games and (suddenly) goes to the position in the field you're going to feel uncomfortable no matter how good you are," Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said Friday before his team began a three-game series against Atlanta at U.S. Cellular Field. "I think Frank should play first base before we start the next series."

Thomas has been primarily a DH since 1998. He played 27 games at first base last season, his most since appearing in 30 games at the position in 2000.

"I don't think Frank is a bad first baseman," Guillen said. "He's not Gold Glove (caliber). I think Frank, when I played with him, did his job."

Frater Perdurabo
06-12-2004, 03:50 PM
I like this move very much.

But my pro-Frank-at-first militancy has subsided slightly now that Paulie is hitting more than his weight and actually is contributing, unlike last season when he was a complete boat anchor.

Nellie_Fox
06-13-2004, 02:28 AM
It has always been obvious to the most casual observer that Frank is a better hitter when he also plays in the field. Tonight he went 3 for 4 with a walk and two home runs. With Frank at first and Shingo closing, this team could go on a tear.

RKMeibalane
06-13-2004, 02:31 AM
It has always been obvious to the most casual observer that Frank is a better hitter when he also plays in the field. Tonight he went 3 for 4 with a walk and two home runs. With Frank at first and Shingo closing, this team could go on a tear.
Unfortunately, it wasn't obvious to Jerry Manuel last season. :angry:

:jerry

"I can't imagine any reason short of an emergency for playing Frank at first base."

CubKilla
06-13-2004, 05:09 AM
Unfortunately, it wasn't obvious to Jerry Manuel last season. :angry:

:jerry

"I can't imagine any reason short of an emergency for playing Frank at first base."
At least Guillen is a man of his word and he actually started Frank at 1B on the day he said he would. Dummy would mention giving someone a start here-and-there and it would never happen.

my5thbench
06-13-2004, 06:58 AM
Frank looked just fine & he got 2 dingers for his Mom's

birthday.....atta'boy big hurt!!