PDA

View Full Version : Valentin almost traded for Ramon Ortiz?

dougs78
06-12-2004, 09:13 AM
According to this blurb in the LA Times (http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb/angels/la-sp-angrep12jun12,1,3642716.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-mlb-angels) , the Sox offered Valentin to the Angels for Ramon Ortiz.

I'm not sure how to feel about this. I think Ortiz could help us, but if we do it then I don't know if we'd continue pressing for Garcia or Sheets. I do NOT think Ortiz is what will put us over the top.

ChiSoxJay
06-12-2004, 09:22 AM
AGREED..Glad this one didn't happen!!!!!

Philo-Sox-er
06-12-2004, 11:27 AM
From rotoworld.com:

Ramon Ortiz requested a trade this week, and the White Sox and Orioles reportedly have expressed interest.
Chicago is believed to have offered Jose Valentin for Ortiz, and the Orioles would like to package left-handed reliever Buddy Groom in a deal. Neither offer really helps Anaheim as much as leaving Ortiz in the bullpen does. He's been very effective since being moved to a relief role. Jun. 12 - 9:25 am et

RedPinStripes
06-12-2004, 11:33 AM
Ramon Ortiz? Unloess it's Russ Ortiz, I want no part of him. That would have been a god aweful trade. He's Danny Wright all over again. And ya know why Ortiz wants to be traded? Because he sucks and the organization lets him know about it.

34 Inch Stick
06-12-2004, 12:53 PM
I hope KW is only keeping the Ortiz/Contreras types in the mix as an alternative to a truely good starting pitching acquisition.

OEO Magglio
06-12-2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
I hope KW is only keeping the Ortiz/Contreras types in the mix as an alternative to a truely good starting pitching acquisition.
I believe he's looking at both of them to become closers. Contreras has an awesome arm and would probably flourish in the closers role. Ortiz also has an electric arm and has a 1.35 era coming out of the pen this year.

HomerCoach
06-12-2004, 01:04 PM
As much as i'd love to trade Valentin, he's worth more than Ramon Ortiz!

NonetheLoaiza
06-12-2004, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
I believe he's looking at both of them to become closers. Contreras has an awesome arm and would probably flourish in the closers role. Ortiz also has an electric arm and has a 1.35 era coming out of the pen this year.

Agreed. I think Contreras would thrive as a closer. He has the stuff to take care of business in the 9th. I wouldn't mind if that trade would have happened (depends on who we would have given up). As far as Ortiz, Jose (even though it seems HR or K with him) is more valuable to our team right now.

On another note, I do like what I am hearing in the rumors with KW. You've got to hand it to him, he WANTS to win a World Series, and will make the deals to give us the best possible chance, all while keeping our farm system fairly respectable.

FoulTerritory
06-12-2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by NonetheLoaiza
Agreed. I think Contreras would thrive as a closer. He has the stuff to take care of business in the 9th. I wouldn't mind if that trade would have happened (depends on who we would have given up). As far as Ortiz, Jose (even though it seems HR or K with him) is more valuable to our team right now.

On another note, I do like what I am hearing in the rumors with KW. You've got to hand it to him, he WANTS to win a World Series, and will make the deals to give us the best possible chance, all while keeping our farm system fairly respectable.

I don't like Contreras as a closer at all. He is a walk factory. He walks more people than Beely Botch.