PDA

View Full Version : Thought this was funny

gosox41
06-12-2004, 09:36 AM
Don't know if it has been mentioned, but I got this from Gary Miller's article on ESPN.com:

As noted here earlier, Koch's possible successor, "Mr. Zero," Shingo Takatsu has no recollection of ever being referred to by that nickname in his record-setting days in Japan. Shingo also admits to difficulty remembering much English. Recently when his interpreter, Hiro Abei, was back in Japan, Abei left a list of six essential phrases for pitching coach Don Cooper and the Sox staff to be able to communicate with their pitcher. One through five were normal baseball phrases, but the sixth may have been the most essential. Seems Shingo has a habit of walking around with his shoes untied, and has even forgotten to tie them coming out of the bullpen, so the phrase for "start warming up" included "tie your shoes", so Takatsu would completely comprehend exactly what time it was, and the urgency of his task.

Just thought it was good for a laugh.

Bob

Lip Man 1
06-12-2004, 12:44 PM
Bob:

I remember hearing Shingo say that a few months ago. It may have been when he did the Q&A for White Sox. com about the part where he never had that nickname in Japan.

Maybe one of the Sox staffers made it up for the PR value.

Lip

Nard
06-13-2004, 04:50 AM
They said during one of the ESPN broadcasts that the rest of the guys were gonna give him a beer shower after his first MLB win, but because there was a double header coming up right after it, they had to do with just a "beer shampoo."

Here's hoping they got him nice and thorough after his first MLB save. :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

Also, it must get pretty lonely up in the pen when you can't talk to anyone. Did anyone see him in Peeping Shingo mode with those binoculars? I hope he was checking out some hot moms behind home plate as well as studying the batters' habits.

gosox41
06-13-2004, 08:29 AM
They said during one of the ESPN broadcasts that the rest of the guys were gonna give him a beer shower after his first MLB win, but because there was a double header coming up right after it, they had to do with just a "beer shampoo."

Here's hoping they got him nice and thorough after his first MLB save. :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

Also, it must get pretty lonely up in the pen when you can't talk to anyone. Did anyone see him in Peeping Shingo mode with those binoculars? I hope he was checking out some hot moms behind home plate as well as studying the batters' habits.
There were a lot of nice lookig women last night, so I don't blame Shingo for looking through binoculars at them.:tongue:

Seriously, I think Shingo had his interpreter in the 'pen with him last night. I saw him walking back to the dugout after the game was over and thenagain at Shingo's post game press conference.

Bob