PDA

View Full Version : Maggs Story Overblown and Distracting--Beltran too?

Philo-Sox-er
06-12-2004, 08:20 AM
Here is a story on mlb.com that discusses the disruptive nature of the Ordonez contract talks. It also indicates that they haven't completely severed negotiations, but that they will not discuss it publicly at all. When asked about this, Ordonez said:

But when asked if his agent, Tom Reich, and the White Sox still were talking, Ordonez nodded his head in the affirmative.

"I guess he's talking to the White Sox right now," Ordonez said

They are most upset over how much this is hurting the team's focus.

Furthermore, thanks to Harold Reynolds' comments on Baseball Tonight, saying Beltran will be on the White Sox, further distraction abound. Here is the link with for the full article:

http://www.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20040611&content_id=768273&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp

gosox41
06-12-2004, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by Philo-Sox-er
Here is a story on mlb.com that discusses the disruptive nature of the Ordonez contract talks. It also indicates that they haven't completely severed negotiations, but that they will not discuss it publicly at all. When asked about this, Ordonez said:

They are most upset over how much this is hurting the team's focus.

Furthermore, thanks to Harold Reynolds' comments on Baseball Tonight, saying Beltran will be on the White Sox, further distraction abound. Here is the link with for the full article:

http://www.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20040611&content_id=768273&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp

Personally, I'd like to have Beltran. But I think this team has bigger holes to fill then CF. In fact, the Sox could find a CF right there in the minors. He won't be nearly as good as Beltran but he's better then Gload/Rowand/Perez. Plus Ireally think Harris needs to go back to 2B.

I'd rather see KW devote the Sox resources to finding another starter and a releiver before he gives up a ton of talent for Beltran.

Bob

Philo-Sox-er
06-12-2004, 08:52 AM
I agree, Bob. At least I don't think we need Beltran to win this year--we need pitching. I think we might possibly get Beltran in the offseason if anything--depending on the Maggs contract talks. I don't want them to give up a load of talent to get a rental player for the stretch run.