PDA

View Full Version : Daley in a Cub hat

gosox41
06-12-2004, 09:15 AM
We all know the Mayor is a die hard Sox fan. But the Cubune put a front page picture of Daley in a Cub hate that he wore to the game at Wrigely the other day. The article was about how Daley is moving to the North Side, but says he is still going to remain a Sox fan.

I know the Cubune has posted a picture of Daley before in a Cub hat.

The thing I don't get is if Daley is such a big Sox fan why is he wearing a Cubs hat at all? Where's his Sox Pride. I understand he likes to get out with all parts of Chicago, but can't he go to a game and not wear a Cub hat?

Bob

voodoochile
06-12-2004, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
We all know the Mayor is a die hard Sox fan. But the Cubune put a front page picture of Daley in a Cub hate that he wore to the game at Wrigely the other day. The article was about how Daley is moving to the North Side, but says he is still going to remain a Sox fan.

The thing I don't get is if Daley is such a big Sox fan why is he wearing a Cubs hat at all? Where's his Sox Pride. I understand he likes to get out with all parts of Chicago, but can't he go to a game and not wear a Cub hat?

Bob

Much as I love the freudian typo in the second sentence, I think the answer is pretty simple...

He's a politician...

Here is the point where you smack yourself in the forehead and go "Ohhhhhhh.... THAT'S RIGHT..." :D:

gosox41
06-12-2004, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Much as I love the freudian typo in the second sentence, I think the answer is pretty simple...

He's a politician...

Here is the point where you smack yourself in the forehead and go "Ohhhhhhh.... THAT'S RIGHT..." :D:

But does any Chicagoan really believe Daley is a Cub fan? Outside of the Cubune I don't see how anyone with half a clue who cares about this would not know.

If youdon't like baseball, it probably won't matter if Daley wears a hat. If you do, then most fans should know.

I just hate to see a Sox fan be so easy to don a Cubs hat. It's one thing for a poltician to go to Cub games, but I don't think a die hard Sox fan should be wearing a Cubs hat.

Maybe Daley will get 95% of the vote in the next election now that he's worn that Cub hat instead of 92%.

Overall, it's trivial that a poltician wears a hat of another city team. Look at the governor and what a sell out he is. But there's got to be a tie in here to 'Sox Pride' especially y when a whole commercial was made devoted to it.

Bob

hsnterprize
06-12-2004, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile

He's a politician...

Here is the point where you smack yourself in the forehead and go "Ohhhhhhh.... THAT'S RIGHT..." :D: That's why he went on TV and told Sox fans to "drop their anti-Cub feelings and support the Cubs." He also said those Sox fans who didn't support the Cubs should "get a life." I'm going to call him on that, and see if he'll require the same for Cubs fans in October. My wife said he said that because that came from his heart. I told her...he's being diplomatic. A lot of money is coming into the city because of the Cubs' popularity, and he's trying to be an ambassador to the alleged-Cubs fans filing into town.

Former New York Mayor Rudy Guiliani is a die-hard Yankees fan, and the fans know it too. Whenver he made appearances on the Mets behalf, fans mock him...telling him to "go back to the Bronx." And I wouldn't be surprized if some Cubs fans told Mayor Daley to go back to the south side.

However, the Trib is reporting the Mayor and his wife will be north side residents soon. The first couple of Chicago will move to new luxury condominiums near the new Millennium Park. The article, along with the one with him pictured in a Cubs hat, say his allegiance to the White Sox will not change despite moving into the north side of town.

SEALgep
06-12-2004, 10:31 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if it is used in a new Cubs commercial.

32nd&Wallace
06-12-2004, 11:11 AM
sinc e when is millenium park on the north side of town?

SSN721
06-12-2004, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by 32nd&Wallace
sinc e when is millenium park on the north side of town?

I was gonna ask the same thing myself, isnt it just like 200 north?

32nd&Wallace
06-12-2004, 11:27 AM
Well to most South Siders, anything north of Archer Avenue is considered the North Side.

Brian26
06-12-2004, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by SSN721
I was gonna ask the same thing myself, isnt it just like 200 north?

So he's only moving to Millenium Park? That's really only a stone's throw from where he was before (around Michigan and Roosevelt).

scottmt
06-12-2004, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
I wouldn't be surprised if it is used in a new Cubs commercial.

Do the Cubs have commercials? I haven't thought a whole lot about it, but all I ever see are ads for upcoming telecasts for the Cubs. I see the Sox ads all over the place. Of course, I guess there's no point spending money on advertising if your customers are willing to fill up your park no matter how exorbitant the ticket prices.

dpbyron
06-12-2004, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by gosox41

Bob

Politics

SSN721
06-12-2004, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
So he's only moving to Millenium Park? That's really only a stone's throw from where he was before (around Michigan and Roosevelt).

I thought he was on one of the avenues, like Prarie or Indiana.

ewokpelts
06-12-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by hsnterprize
That's why he went on TV and told Sox fans to "drop their anti-Cub feelings and support the Cubs." He also said those Sox fans who didn't support the Cubs should "get a life." I'm going to call him on that, and see if he'll require the same for Cubs fans in October. My wife said he said that because that came from his heart. I told her...he's being diplomatic. A lot of money is coming into the city because of the Cubs' popularity, and he's trying to be an ambassador to the alleged-Cubs fans filing into town.

Former New York Mayor Rudy Guiliani is a die-hard Yankees fan, and the fans know it too. Whenver he made appearances on the Mets behalf, fans mock him...telling him to "go back to the Bronx." And I wouldn't be surprized if some Cubs fans told Mayor Daley to go back to the south side.

However, the Trib is reporting the Mayor and his wife will be north side residents soon. The first couple of Chicago will move to new luxury condominiums near the new Millennium Park. The article, along with the one with him pictured in a Cubs hat, say his allegiance to the White Sox will not change despite moving into the north side of town.

Millenium Park aint the north side.
That's lakefront, in downtown. North of Madison, yes...but not north side.
Gene

32nd&Wallace
06-12-2004, 01:57 PM
I think this has to do with showing up the Governor after his comments about refusing to wear a White Sox hat.

SEALgep
06-12-2004, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by 32nd&Wallace
I think this has to do with showing up the Governor after his comments about refusing to wear a White Sox hat. Now we're getting somewhere.

Hangar18
06-12-2004, 02:19 PM
Its fitting that PRAVDA ....I mean the Cubune would us that in their headline (mayor moving to north side) Last I checked,
Millenium Park was DOWNTOWN, not the NorthSide. Da Mayor probably SHOULDNT HAVE WORN THAT HAT, when I go to cub games, I dont wear a cub hat ............... neither should he.
But ultimately, the last laughs on Cub Fans, who are going to publicize that pic, and pretend that even HE likes the cubs.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-12-2004, 02:27 PM
I guess there is a political angle to this, but Daley will never admit to it. He and Blago are supposed to be on the same team, the Big-D Party, the one that cast the Illinois GOP into the nether regions (with plenty of help from George Ryan, of course). :smile:

Let's please separate the two angles here. First, Daley wearing a Cubs cap is only a thumb of the nose to Blago. Those new Sox TV commercials about the mayor liking our team better than theirs makes it more topical, too. This is all in good fun. It's barely a mile north of his old residence in the South Loop south of Roosevelt Rd.

Of course the Cubune has to turn it into something more. The corporate shills that run the newspaper division know damn well that Millennium Park (200 North) is inside the Loop, aka downtown, and is neither North Side or South Side. Naturally that isn't good enough for them, so they paste Daley's face laughing with a Lovable Losers cap onto page 1 of their Company Newsletter, the one they distribute to several hundred thousand homes each morning.

To hear the shills inside Cubune Tower tell it, there is no West Side to Chicago and no downtown either. Why? Because their baseball division is nervous that the Sox are finally hyping the fact that our beloved leader, hizzoner the mayor, is a Sox Fan.

Too ****ing bad, Cubune. Nobody but the lemmings who know nothing about the city or its history are buying your bull****.

:hizzoner
"Hey Cubune, there is always mistletoe hanging from my coattails! SOX PRIDE!!!"

hsnterprize
06-13-2004, 08:25 AM
Millenium Park aint the north side.
That's lakefront, in downtown. North of Madison, yes...but not north side.
GeneTechnically, the North Side/South Side dividing line is Jackson Boulevard. Millenuim Park may not be on the "north side" as we'd imagine it, but it is technically on the "north side" of Chicago. It's only 2 blocks north of Madison Street, but that about covers it depending on who you talk to.

Besides, I think the press is only hyping it up because he's lived at south side addresses all his life. And then when you add the Cubs hat picture to the mix, then it starts to get interesting. The next time I see him, I'll ask him about that.

hsnterprize
06-13-2004, 08:35 AM
Its fitting that PRAVDA ....I mean the Cubune would us that in their headline (mayor moving to north side) Last I checked,
Millenium Park was DOWNTOWN, not the NorthSide. Da Mayor probably SHOULDNT HAVE WORN THAT HAT, when I go to cub games, I dont wear a cub hat ............... neither should he.
But ultimately, the last laughs on Cub Fans, who are going to publicize that pic, and pretend that even HE likes the cubs.I've heard hizzoner say a few times that he "loves the Sox, and respects the Cubs." Now, on it's face...I don't have a problem with that. I at least respect they're playing decent baseball even though as a fan, I can't stand them. Like we've said before...he's trying to be diplomatic here. I wonder if he and 44th Ward Alderman Tom Tunney have something going here? Tunney, for those of you who aren't in the know, is the alderman of the ward that includes Wrigley Field. If anything big happens around there...up on it.

Frankfan4life
06-13-2004, 12:43 PM
Now we're getting somewhere.I also think it might be a counter to the new Sox Pride commercial.

I live about 300 North and I don't consider myself a real "northsider." I mostly say I live downtown or West Loop.

whitesoxwilkes
06-13-2004, 12:53 PM
Da Mare's current digs are on Indiana Av, just north or south of 18th Street...can't remember even though I run or bike past there just about every other day.

It's a big townhouse that always has a Chicago Police car idling out front.

Whitesox029
06-13-2004, 01:11 PM

BobIt's one of two things...one, the tribune is good with photoshop, or two, Daley is being politically smart, unlike Blagojevich. Gov. B. is gonna lose some Sox fan votes, like it or not, because he said he'd never wear a Sox hat. Daley doesn't want to lose the votes, so he's going to appear to remain open to rooting for the Cubs, even if he doesn't actually.

TornLabrum
06-13-2004, 01:27 PM
It's one of two things...one, the tribune is good with photoshop, or two, Daley is being politically smart, unlike Blagojevich. Gov. B. is gonna lose some Sox fan votes, like it or not, because he said he'd never wear a Sox hat. Daley doesn't want to lose the votes, so he's going to appear to remain open to rooting for the Cubs, even if he doesn't actually.
I don't think even the Tribune would go so far as to fake a picture. For one thing, da mare would be all over it in a matter of seconds. Daley is being politically savvy. He knows the Cubs are good for the city, so he'll compromise a bit, but he's always made it abundantly clear where his heart truly lies.

As far as what constitutes being the north side, I'd say that it has to be north of at least North Ave.

AnkleSox
06-14-2004, 12:05 AM
Most of the people I know that live in the loop, even north of Madison, are Sox fans. Hell, I go to DePaul, and I've met a LOT of sox fans in Lincoln Park. Granted, there are a bunch more Cubs fans, but I was really surprised at the amount of Sox fans.

Obviously Daley is just trying to keep himself respected by both sides. Baseball fans, especially Sox and Cubs fans, can be pretty brutal about their opinion of someone based on what team they like.

It's weird though, the Daley family is notorious for being crooked, but everyone loves the mayor anyway.

TornLabrum
06-14-2004, 07:10 AM
Most of the people I know that live in the loop, even north of Madison, are Sox fans. Hell, I go to DePaul, and I've met a LOT of sox fans in Lincoln Park. Granted, there are a bunch more Cubs fans, but I was really surprised at the amount of Sox fans.

Obviously Daley is just trying to keep himself respected by both sides. Baseball fans, especially Sox and Cubs fans, can be pretty brutal about their opinion of someone based on what team they like.

It's weird though, the Daley family is notorious for being crooked, but everyone loves the mayor anyway.
Not exactlyl right. The Daley family is known for being associated with crooked people. I don't think anybody has ever called either Mayor Daley personally crooked.

steff
06-14-2004, 08:49 AM

Off Canal or Indiana I believe.

hsnterprize
06-14-2004, 08:55 AM
Leave it up to WGN to hype up "hizzoner" talking up the Cubbies. Mayor Daley spoke at a Puerto Rican event in Humboldt Park over the weekend. After he gave his speech and said "Thank you very much." He went along to say, "Viva Puerto Rico! Viva Chicago!" And then he said in a short quip, "Viva White Sox!" As everyone laughed and applauded, someone said "I don't know about those White Sox." Then the mayor went back to the mic and said, softly I might add, "Viva Cubs." The crowd applauded again, and this time, someone said "Mayor, you're on the north side. This is Cubs Country."

If anything, this proves "the mayor (STILL) like us better."

GoSox2K3
06-14-2004, 01:04 PM
Now wait a minute! Just about every Cub fan I've ever met and the local press repeatedly say that nobody is a Sox fan and that only a couple thousand people go to each Sox game. Are you sure you're telling the truth? Are you saying that Cub fans and the Cub-loving media are spreading disinformation? That can't be true because I know that Cub fans wouldn't steer me wrong

By the way, I was at the game yesterday and there certainly were alot of "nobodies" in attendance!

TornLabrum
06-14-2004, 07:13 PM
Now wait a minute! Just about every Cub fan I've ever met and the local press repeatedly say that nobody is a Sox fan and that only a couple thousand people go to each Sox game. Are you sure you're telling the truth? Are you saying that Cub fans and the Cub-loving media are spreading disinformation? That can't be true because I know that Cub fans wouldn't steer me wrong

By the way, I was at the game yesterday and there certainly were alot of "nobodies" in attendance!
Which reminds me. It's after Memorial Day, isn't it?

alohafri
06-14-2004, 08:49 PM
I think this has to do with showing up the Governor after his comments about refusing to wear a White Sox hat.
That was my immediate thought as well, 32nd.

ode to veeck
06-14-2004, 09:39 PM
But does any Chicagoan really believe Daley is a Cub fan? Outside of the Cubune I don't see how anyone with half a clue who cares about this would not know
No way "Little Richie's" heart isn't still with the White Sox. Like Voodoo and I before him, he'll move to the North Side & still be a die hard Sox fan.

North of Archer avenue includes like Pilsen and the old Canal District, both have tons of hard core south siders / Sox fans

ode to veeck
06-14-2004, 09:44 PM
Lip wrote:

As far as what constitutes being the north side, I'd say that it has to be north of at least North Ave.
I'd have to take issue with this definition too, you just left out 1/2 of Old Town and I'd have to throw the Gold Coast and even Streeterville into the Northside bucket as well. Division / Rush area, esp on Thur through the weekends is actually more accurately part of the surburbs ... at least by inhabitants

ma_deuce
06-14-2004, 10:03 PM
http://www.foursport.ca/godfather.jpg

"I know it was you who was wearing the Cubs hat, Richie. You broke my heart. You broke my heart!"

SSN721
06-15-2004, 09:03 AM
http://www.foursport.ca/godfather.jpg

"I know it was you who was wearing the Cubs hat, Richie. You broke my heart. You broke my heart!"

lol Maybe Daley will be living next to Johnny Olaf and Hyman Roth. :cool: