PDA

View Full Version : Timing Issues on Maggs' Contract

soxtalker
06-12-2004, 08:00 AM
I have a question on some timing issues on Maggs contract. I don't want to delve into the questions of whether we should sign Maggs, how good he is, if he's greedy, etc. There are other excellent threads that have been debating those issues. I was going to post in one of those, but I thought that the issue would just get buried.

Let's assume that the reports are true that Maggs and the Sox will not get a contract done. Also, assume that there are no hard feelings between him and the club (which, I believe, is what Maggs has said), but that he will test the free-agent waters after the season. In other words, they can't get together on a contract now, as they each view that it is in their respective best interests to allow Maggs to test the waters.

My question is whether timing issues with regard to MLB regulations make it almost impossible for us to sign him. We'll offer arbitration (to ensure draft picks), and he'll decline. Then we'll pass a point when he'll (a) be able to get offers from other teams, but (b) be unable to negotiate with the Sox. He has to pass into this time period in order to get offers from other teams and, thus, set his market value. Maggs can't come back to negotiate with the Sox until a later date, but the Sox will probably have already have spent the budget that they would have allotted to him and/or filled the hole that Maggs' departure creates. This is what R. Alomar went through last year.

Is this correct?

voodoochile
06-12-2004, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by soxtalker
I have a question on some timing issues on Maggs contract. I don't want to delve into the questions of whether we should sign Maggs, how good he is, if he's greedy, etc. There are other excellent threads that have been debating those issues. I was going to post in one of those, but I thought that the issue would just get buried.

Let's assume that the reports are true that Maggs and the Sox will not get a contract done. Also, assume that there are no hard feelings between him and the club (which, I believe, is what Maggs has said), but that he will test the free-agent waters after the season. In other words, they can't get together on a contract now, as they each view that it is in their respective best interests to allow Maggs to test the waters.

My question is whether timing issues with regard to MLB regulations make it almost impossible for us to sign him. We'll offer arbitration (to ensure draft picks), and he'll decline. Then we'll pass a point when he'll (a) be able to get offers from other teams, but (b) be unable to negotiate with the Sox. He has to pass into this time period in order to get offers from other teams and, thus, set his market value. Maggs can't come back to negotiate with the Sox until a later date, but the Sox will probably have already have spent the budget that they would have allotted to him and/or filled the hole that Maggs' departure creates. This is what R. Alomar went through last year.

Is this correct?

No, if the Sox offer arbitration, they can still negotiate with him if he declines. They are only barred from negotiating with him if they fail to offer the arbitration.

At least that is as I understand it. If I am wrong, I am sure someone will correct me soon...

soxtalker
06-12-2004, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
No, if the Sox offer arbitration, they can still negotiate with him if he declines. They are only barred from negotiating with him if they fail to offer the arbitration.

At least that is as I understand it. If I am wrong, I am sure someone will correct me soon...

Ah, if that is the case, I can see where that could affect the dynamics of the negotiations. If the two sides disagree on Maggs' value, one way to settle this is to let the market decide in the winter.

SEALgep
06-12-2004, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by soxtalker
Ah, if that is the case, I can see where that could affect the dynamics of the negotiations. If the two sides disagree on Maggs' value, one way to settle this is to let the market decide in the winter. Supposedly the Mets are willing to give him a huge contract.

jfo go go sox
06-12-2004, 09:37 AM
This may be the best thing for both sides at this point. Besides, do the Mets really have the money after spending over 100 million last year for last place? This way everyone will know what the market value is and then we will see how our management will treat Maggs. This way everyone can concentrate on this season and not screw it up.

P.S. - What fifth starter????

:wright

Lip Man 1
06-12-2004, 11:38 AM
The Mets cut their team salary somewhat this year so they wouldn't be subject to the luxury tax, I think it's in the range of 90-95 million.

They were still hovering around the .500 mark until the current road trip. By most accounts that's a surprise since many expected them to be very bad again. Management may feel if this plays out for the rest of the season that they aren't that far away and may try to get the pieces they need to make an immediate impact next season.

Lip