PDA

View Full Version : Gload: Did he loaf after Franco's blooper?

Vernam
06-12-2004, 01:08 AM
I replayed it twice to make sure, and I'm prepared to say Gload dogged it tonight when Franco hit that duck snort down the RF line. He seemed to think it was going foul and kind of loped after it. When it landed fair, he got in gear, but it wasn't enough to keep the 45-year-old (!) from taking second. It's hard to imagine such a lack of hustle from some guy who theoretically should just be glad to be in The Show.

That's the kind of stuff I don't expect Ozzie to put up with. It helped key a big inning. That, and the home plate ump's blown call on that turned strike three (and out three) into ball four for Andruw Jones. You know the rest. :(:

The team is now officially flat. I thought they played well out west despite the poor results, and they had a chance to win the Phillies series if not for the rainout. But that old lifelessness seems to be back.

VC

guillen4life13
06-12-2004, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by Vernam
I replayed it twice to make sure, and I'm prepared to say Gload dogged it tonight when Franco hit that duck snort down the RF line. He seemed to think it was going foul and kind of loped after it. When it landed fair, he got in gear, but it wasn't enough to keep the 45-year-old (!) from taking second. It's hard to imagine such a lack of hustle from some guy who theoretically should just be glad to be in The Show.

That's the kind of stuff I don't expect Ozzie to put up with. It helped key a big inning. That, and the home plate ump's blown call on that turned strike three (and out three) into ball four for Andruw Jones. You know the rest. :(:

The team is now officially flat. I thought they played well out west despite the poor results, and they had a chance to win the Phillies series if not for the rainout. But that old lifelessness seems to be back.

VC

I was at the game earlier and all of us in the group I was in thought Gload dogged that play. He was jogging to the ball, not sprinting or even showing any effort or interest. I was a little pissed off by that play.

scottmt
06-12-2004, 02:40 AM
I saw the same thing. He also one-hopped an unnecessary throw to home that should have gone to the cut-off man to prevent the runner from advancing. I've seen enough of the three-headed monster in right.

:LTP
"When's the next train out of Charlotte?"

:ozzie
"Forget about chu! Kenny, get me a fourth catcher!"

:KW
"I'm calling the Angels right now. Buffalo Grove's own Josh Paul is coming back home! He's hitless on the year, but I've got a feeling he's due."

gosox41
06-12-2004, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by scottmt
I saw the same thing. He also one-hopped an unnecessary throw to home that should have gone to the cut-off man to prevent the runner from advancing. I've seen enough of the three-headed monster in right.

:LTP
"When's the next train out of Charlotte?"

:ozzie
"Forget about chu! Kenny, get me a fourth catcher!"

:KW
"I'm calling the Angels right now. Buffalo Grove's own Josh Paul is coming back home! He's hitless on the year, but I've got a feeling he's due."

That's funny.

Bob

SSN721
06-12-2004, 09:34 AM
To me it looked like Gload dogged it on a couple plays. The whole team last night seem to lack any kind of spark at all. Except of course in the bottom of the ninth, but it was one of the worst games I have seen from them this year. I was really dissapointed in what looked like a lack of effort. It seemed like the nice double play turned in the ninth was the only solid defensive play I saw all night.

Vernam
06-12-2004, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by scottmt
Oh yeah, I could have also mentioned the throw home that Gload airmailed about 30 feet over Konerko's head, letting the batter get from 1st to 2nd when the runner had stopped at 3rd. DJ's comment was silly: "I'm not saying that was a bad play -- let's wait and see if the guy ends up scoring." :o:

VC

mdep524
06-12-2004, 01:06 PM
I'm glad this thread came up because I definitely wanted to make a point to say how the Sox' outfield defense really let them down last night. It was really ugly. Both Gload and Harris showed why they are primarily infielders.

HomerCoach
06-12-2004, 01:10 PM
Magglio would not have dogged it!

SoxFan76
06-12-2004, 01:15 PM
To me, Carlos Lee looks like the laziest player on the roster. Every time the ball is hit to him, he takes his sweet time throwing it back into the infield. First thing they teach you when you play the outfield is to get the ball back in as soon as you can.