PDA

View Full Version : Maggs in the house tonight

whitesoxwilkes
06-11-2004, 11:02 PM
This may be buried in one of the other threads, and if so, feel free to move it (hell, I might myself after I read them all), but Maggs was at the park tonight hanging out on the field during BP in shorts and a tshirt. No noticeable limp at all, but he was showing off the nice neat little inch long scar on the back of his knee.

pinwheels3530
06-12-2004, 02:01 AM
Let's hope his recovery comes along alot faster than reported cause we need him back in the lineup and out there in right field where we watched him grow into a all star franchise player. :smile:

OHHHH I forgot we got the great Jeremy Reed and Joe Borchard ready to take his spot, YEAH RIGHT :angry:

StockdaleForVeep
06-12-2004, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by pinwheels3530
Let's hope his recovery comes along alot faster than reported cause we need him back in the lineup and out there in right field where we watched him grow into a all star franchise player. :smile:

OHHHH I forgot we got the great Jeremy Reed and Joe Borchard ready to take his spot, YEAH RIGHT :angry:

And dont forget the new messiah beltran, i mean he's pretty much ours right now right?

OEO Magglio
06-12-2004, 02:09 AM

We all want maggs to come back. However I don't understand why your taking shots at reed and borchard. I'd love maggs to come back too but atleast if maggs leaves it's a position where the sox have a ton of depth in the minors and can give a kid a chance. If the sox end up letting maggs go which seems very likely they could plug borchard or reed into right field maybe sign a freddy garcia type for 8 mill, sign a solid veteran closer and maybe even get another bullpen arm. Who knows but that seems like a much better thing to do then to sign maggs for 14 mill. I've said this plenty of times, I love maggs but he's not worth 14 mill and that money could be better spent elsewhere.

pinwheels3530
06-12-2004, 02:29 AM
I am taking shots at the sox fans who think that those two are going to take us to the next level. Nothing is guaranteed and they haven't proven anything yet. RESIGN MAGGS!!!!

StockdaleForVeep
06-12-2004, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
We all want maggs to come back. However I don't understand why your taking shots at reed and borchard. I'd love maggs to come back too but atleast if maggs leaves it's a position where the sox have a ton of depth in the minors and can give a kid a chance. If the sox end up letting maggs go which seems very likely they could plug borchard or reed into right field maybe sign a freddy garcia type for 8 mill, sign a solid veteran closer and maybe even get another bullpen arm. Who knows but that seems like a much better thing to do then to sign maggs for 14 mill. I've said this plenty of times, I love maggs but he's not worth 14 mill and that money could be better spent elsewhere.

When borch has been up here, has he done anything worth noting? Has he excelled while bein in the majors when he was called up? Just because someone is great in the minors dont mean they will do good. You cannot simply assume reed is the answer to every offensive problem we have. Magglio has proven what he can do, reed and Borch havent.

If you seriouly want them starting their rookie year, you best say so long to magz now and have them called up\gettin as much exp as they can now and dust off the white flag.

gosox41
06-12-2004, 07:29 AM
I am taking shots at the sox fans who think that those two are going to take us to the next level. Nothing is guaranteed and they haven't proven anything yet. RESIGN MAGGS!!!!

All I think is that Borchard or Reed could come up and hit better then the platoon of Rowand/Perez and Gload. Everyone thinks they are doing a good job. Well they're really not, unless you like players with a low .700 OPS.

Might as well gamble on some prospects you feel are ready, unless of course you want to trade them.

If you don't want to bring one of them up to play RF until Magglio gets back, why not bring one of htem up to play CF, move Harris back to where he belongs at 2B and bench Crede? When Magglio gets back, you in essence gain two bats....Magglio's and Borchard/Reed two players that I'm confident will hit better then Crede.

Bob

TornLabrum
06-12-2004, 08:13 AM
I've heard from a reliable source that the Sox and Maggs think he actually may be back in time for the Cubs series in two weeks. Both the Sox and Maggs think his recovery is coming along faster than expected.

Perhaps this is why the Sox are standing pat for now.

ChiSoxJay
06-12-2004, 08:36 AM

While I agree that dropping 14 million would give us an oppurtunity to strengthen other positions, what about the salaries of Koch, Valentin, and Frank. Wont we be freeing up around 18 million on those 3 guys at the end of the season?? Out of the three, I think we should try hard to resign Frank but not at anything more than what he's making already ($6,000,000). Money freed up on these guys so be spent on pitching.

Who else will be a free agent on the Sox after this season?

I say give Maggs his money and if Reed or Borchard are as good as we think, put them in center and end the Rowand experiment.

:therapy:

Mickster
06-12-2004, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by ChiSoxJay
While I agree that dropping 14 million would give us an oppurtunity to strengthen other positions, what about the salaries of Koch, Valentin, and Frank. Wont we be freeing up around 18 million on those 3 guys at the end of the season?? Out of the three, I think we should try hard to resign Frank but not at anything more than what he's making already ($6,000,000). Money freed up on these guys so be spent on pitching.

Frank and the Sox each have an option for 2004 for Thomas. Frank can execute it at $8m per ot the Sox can execute the option for $8M per. Frank feels he's under paid. He will NOT take less money. Frankly, with the numbers he's been putting up so far this year, he's plainly worth the $8M if he keeps it up.....

Lip Man 1
06-12-2004, 11:41 AM
As far as other free agents I think (as of right now) it's Loazia, Schowenweis and Valentin.

Hal. I'd love to see Mags back for the Cub series. That would be a much need boost.

Lip

CubKilla
06-12-2004, 11:55 AM
I'd love maggs to come back too but atleast if maggs leaves it's a position where the sox have a ton of depth in the minors and can give a kid a chance.

That's this Organization's MO..... let the All-Star caliber player walk when his contract is up for renegotiation and talk up the "kids."

Makes me wanna wretch :angry:

If this Orgaization gave a **** it would resign Maggs and make a run at Beltran during the '04-'05 offseason. If Beltran couldn't be swayed, then give Reed or Borchard their chance to start in CF. Time for the Sox Organization to start acting like a ML team in the countries 3rd biggest market.

OEO Magglio
06-12-2004, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
That's this Organization's MO..... let the All-Star caliber player walk when his contract is up for renegotiation and talk up the "kids."

Makes me wanna wretch :angry:

If this Orgaization gave a **** it would resign Maggs and make a run at Beltran during the '04-'05 offseason. If Beltran couldn't be swayed, then give Reed or Borchard their chance to start in CF. Time for the Sox Organization to start acting like a ML team in the countries 3rd biggest market.
Well thats the thing. I don't think jr is going to shell out more money to pick up any quality fa's if maggs is resigned. I'm saying with this organizations budget its better to fill 2 or 3 wholes instead of shelling out 14 million to maggs.

joecrede
06-12-2004, 12:24 PM

If you would, please explain why Maggs hasn't "taken us to the next level."

TornLabrum
06-12-2004, 12:26 PM
Well thats the thing. I don't think jr is going to shell out more money to pick up any quality fa's if maggs is resigned. I'm saying with this organizations budget its better to fill 2 or 3 wholes instead of shelling out 14 million to maggs.

Besides Albert Belle, who was a spite signing, what quality free agents has Uncle Jer ever signed (and don't say Fisk because that was over 20 years ago)?

joecrede
06-12-2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla

Keith Foulke is an All-Star they traded, but I'm struggling to think what other All-Stars they let get away.

pinwheels3530
06-12-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
If you would, please explain why Maggs hasn't "taken us to the next level."

His number speak for themselves, he's has quality character and the one of the two most popular players on the team.

I don't think the SOX have been doing so good with him out of the lineup. So do you think their missing his presence right now? When he comes back he will give us a jolt that we desperately need right now, once again Borchard and Reed haven't prov en anything

OEO Magglio
06-12-2004, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Besides Albert Belle, who was a spite signing, what quality free agents has Uncle Jer ever signed (and don't say Fisk because that was over 20 years ago)?
Here's what I'm saying, with the 14 mill the sox have I believe they would be able to sign garcia or a pitcher like him for maybe 8 mill, maybe a closer for 4 mill and then another solid reliever for 2 mill. You plug borchard or reed into right field. Plus you have koch and jose coming off the books thats another 11 million. I know there are players who are getting pay raises so that gets rid of some of that money. But with that much money gone and still a solid core in place you could fill a lot of wholes in the pitching staff and have a very nice team for next year.

joecrede
06-12-2004, 01:30 PM
His number speak for themselves, he's has quality character and the one of the two most popular players on the team.

All that may be true, but why haven't we "gone to the next level" with him?

pinwheels3530
06-12-2004, 01:32 PM

and we won't with reed or borchard!!

pinwheels3530
06-12-2004, 01:39 PM

Look the point is everyone here is talking up Reed and Borchard like they are the greatest thing to happen to chicago baseball. Let's get Maggs healthy again get him back in the line up, trade one of the great outfielders for what we need SOME PITCHING.

IF THE SOX MAKE IT TO THE PLAYOFFS THIS YEAR WHO WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE IN THE LINEUP MAGGS OR ONE OF THE TWO GREATEST OUTFIELDERS OF ALL TIME? NO CONTEST MAGGS!!!!!

StockdaleForVeep
06-12-2004, 02:20 PM
Look the point is everyone here is talking up Reed and Borchard like they are the greatest thing to happen to chicago baseball. Let's get Maggs healthy again get him back in the line up, trade one of the great outfielders for what we need SOME PITCHING.

IF THE SOX MAKE IT TO THE PLAYOFFS THIS YEAR WHO WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE IN THE LINEUP MAGGS OR ONE OF THE TWO GREATEST OUTFIELDERS OF ALL TIME? NO CONTEST MAGGS!!!!!

Also we hyped up rauch and crede just like the scrubs did Bobby Hill, now hill isnt in chicago, we all hate rauch and all of you are demanding crede get sent down or traded.

joecrede
06-12-2004, 03:03 PM

Ordonez is a very good player, he is not a franchise player though. The Sox will hinder their chances of winning a championship more by signing him to a Guerrero-like contract than they would by letting him leave.

CWSGuy406
06-12-2004, 03:04 PM

No, Reed and Borchard aren't as good as Maggs. But with Reed in right, and the newly signed Freddy Garcia on the hill, backed up by a solid reliever, and a closer who can actually, dare I say close the game, that is worth more than having Maggs IMO...