PDA

View Full Version : I want Beltran


chisox1388
06-11-2004, 08:25 PM
When first hearing it, I had some mixe feelings about the Sox getting Beltran, but after thinking about i, the should go for it. We need to take every chance we can that will help us become a World Series constender. So here's what we should do:

Trade Crede, Reed, and Rauch and maybe some other mid-level prospect to KC for Beltran. Then go out and get Tony Armas Jr. from the Expos for Rowand, Josh Stewart, and another mid-level prospect. And we will be paying these guys salaries so we won't have to give up too much talent. I would also look for another reliever, but I don't know who's available.

Now I know you're thinking that we shouldn't give up on Crede just yet, and I sort of agree, but one of the things the Royals are looking for is a young major league ready third baseman, which is what Crede is. And with our recent drafting of Josh Fields, a college third baseman, he will take Crede's place by 2006. And with Jeremy Reed, I think he has a chance to be a good player, but his stock is the highest it will ever be right now and will be more valuable to the Royals than Borchard, who is going to take Maggs spot next year.

Now Armas has been sort of injury prone the last couple of years, but when he's healthy he's ot really good stuff. He's still young (26, I think) and would cost a lot less in terms of money and prospects than Garcia would.

Now with Konerko, Koch, Valentin, and Maggs coming off the books, thats about 35 million dollars, which isn't including raises. So, we'd have the inside track on signing Beltran, and if we couldn't sign him, we would get two first round picks next year (as well as the two first rounders for Maggs). Plus, next year's free agent class is really good, and we could go for possibly Berkman and maybe a SS such as Renteria, which would cost about 23 million combined. I would resign Valentin for one more year at about 3 million.We would also have money left to go for a closer.

So this year's lineup:

Harris 2B
Beltran CF
Maggs RF
Thomas DH
Lee LF
Konerko 1B
Uribe SS
Valentin 3B
Olivo C

Buehrle
Loaiza
Garland
Armas
Shoeneweis


Next year's lineup

Harris CF
Renteria SS
Berkman 1B
Thomas DH
Lee LF
Uribe 2B
Valentin 3B
Borchard RF
Olivo C

Same rotation

What do you guys think?

chisox1388
06-11-2004, 11:54 PM
Nobody has anything to say about this?

Madbilly
06-12-2004, 12:13 AM
Sound good, but I thought Paulie was signed for another year. We should sign a third basemen, maybe Glaus. Before he got hurt he was having a good year, and he would come cheap. Renteria would be a good pick up, but it might be easier to get Cabrera form Montreal. Resign Valentin for 2 years at around 4 to 5 million as bench player and DH to give Frank a rest.

The rotation seams decent but I would rather try and get Sheets or pick up a FA over the summer, I believe that there is a decent crop of starters available.

One problem would have to be a closer, Marte might not be ready and Takatsu has yet to it, and by next year hitters should have figured him out.

Personally I would trade Borchard and keep Reed. I think he has a better upside then Borchard.

jordan23ventura
06-12-2004, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by Madbilly
Sound good, but I thought Paulie was signed for another year. We should sign a third basemen, maybe Glaus. Before he got hurt he was having a good year, and he would come cheap. Renteria would be a good pick up, but it might be easier to get Cabrera form Montreal. Resign Valentin for 2 years at around 4 to 5 million as bench player and DH to give Frank a rest.

The rotation seams decent but I would rather try and get Sheets or pick up a FA over the summer, I believe that there is a decent crop of starters available.

One problem would have to be a closer, Marte might not be ready and Takatsu has yet to it, and by next year hitters should have figured him out.

Personally I would trade Borchard and keep Reed. I think he has a better upside then Borchard.


Valentin as a bench player? He's starting to hit as a lefty only. Give him a full season and I expect him to outperform last years numbers. He has range, as discussed before many times. 2-2.5 mil per year will not be enough. If you sign him, he stays on the field because we can't afford that much towards a bench player.

batmanZoSo
06-12-2004, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by chisox1388
When first hearing it, I had some mixe feelings about the Sox getting Beltran, but after thinking about i, the should go for it. We need to take every chance we can that will help us become a World Series constender. So here's what we should do:

Trade Crede, Reed, and Rauch and maybe some other mid-level prospect to KC for Beltran. Then go out and get Tony Armas Jr. from the Expos for Rowand, Josh Stewart, and another mid-level prospect. And we will be paying these guys salaries so we won't have to give up too much talent. I would also look for another reliever, but I don't know who's available.

Now I know you're thinking that we shouldn't give up on Crede just yet, and I sort of agree, but one of the things the Royals are looking for is a young major league ready third baseman, which is what Crede is. And with our recent drafting of Josh Fields, a college third baseman, he will take Crede's place by 2006. And with Jeremy Reed, I think he has a chance to be a good player, but his stock is the highest it will ever be right now and will be more valuable to the Royals than Borchard, who is going to take Maggs spot next year.

Now Armas has been sort of injury prone the last couple of years, but when he's healthy he's ot really good stuff. He's still young (26, I think) and would cost a lot less in terms of money and prospects than Garcia would.

Now with Konerko, Koch, Valentin, and Maggs coming off the books, thats about 35 million dollars, which isn't including raises. So, we'd have the inside track on signing Beltran, and if we couldn't sign him, we would get two first round picks next year (as well as the two first rounders for Maggs). Plus, next year's free agent class is really good, and we could go for possibly Berkman and maybe a SS such as Renteria, which would cost about 23 million combined. I would resign Valentin for one more year at about 3 million.We would also have money left to go for a closer.

So this year's lineup:

Harris 2B
Beltran CF
Maggs RF
Thomas DH
Lee LF
Konerko 1B
Uribe SS
Valentin 3B
Olivo C

Buehrle
Loaiza
Garland
Armas
Shoeneweis


Next year's lineup

Harris CF
Renteria SS
Berkman 1B
Thomas DH
Lee LF
Uribe 2B
Valentin 3B
Borchard RF
Olivo C

Same rotation

What do you guys think?

It's impractical, unrealistic and most importantly, it's not gonna happen.

1. Scott Boras
2. We're the Sox
3. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. He's too expensive. Center field isn't nearly the only weakness on this team--nor is it the most glaring for that matter.

SEALgep
06-12-2004, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
It's impractical, unrealistic and most importantly, it's not gonna happen.

1. Scott Boras
2. We're the Sox
3. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. He's too expensive. Center field isn't nearly the only weakness on this team--nor is it the most glaring for that matter. Maybe Boras wouldn't mind putting him in Chicago's market. We are the Sox, but the money that would have gone to Maggs could easily go to Beltran. Not saying it's going to happen, but it's not far-fetched.

CWSGuy406
06-12-2004, 01:31 AM
Has Boras/Beltran stated publicly what they expect/want from the market (money-range)?

batmanZoSo
06-12-2004, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Maybe Boras wouldn't mind putting him in Chicago's market. We are the Sox, but the money that would have gone to Maggs could easily go to Beltran. Not saying it's going to happen, but it's not far-fetched.

Of course Boras wouldn't mind, he's gettting a big pay day for this no matter where he ends up. JR's not gonna do it, and I hope he doesn't. It would be just like the Albert Belle thing..makes him look generous, but doesn't make us a World Series contender. In my opinion the only smart things to do is either A, re-sign Maggs, or B, let him go and sign three or four guys in place of him to fill the holes on this club. No Beltran, no Renteria, or anyone like that.

SEALgep
06-12-2004, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
Of course Boras wouldn't mind, he's gettting a big pay day for this no matter where he ends up. JR's not gonna do it, and I hope he doesn't. It would be just like the Albert Belle thing..makes him look generous, but doesn't make us a World Series contender. In my opinion the only smart things to do is either A, re-sign Maggs, or B, let him go and sign three or four guys in place of him to fill the holes on this club. No Beltran, no Renteria, or anyone like that. Why? If you want Maggs resigned, why wouldn't you want Beltran if he was reasonable for us to sign? How is Beltran, with us able to fill the right field slot with either Reed or Borchard, and with additional money spent on pitching not allow us to be a WS contender?

Mohoney
06-12-2004, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by chisox1388
When first hearing it, I had some mixe feelings about the Sox getting Beltran, but after thinking about i, the should go for it. We need to take every chance we can that will help us become a World Series constender. So here's what we should do:

Trade Crede, Reed, and Rauch and maybe some other mid-level prospect to KC for Beltran. Then go out and get Tony Armas Jr. from the Expos for Rowand, Josh Stewart, and another mid-level prospect. And we will be paying these guys salaries so we won't have to give up too much talent. I would also look for another reliever, but I don't know who's available.

Now I know you're thinking that we shouldn't give up on Crede just yet, and I sort of agree, but one of the things the Royals are looking for is a young major league ready third baseman, which is what Crede is. And with our recent drafting of Josh Fields, a college third baseman, he will take Crede's place by 2006. And with Jeremy Reed, I think he has a chance to be a good player, but his stock is the highest it will ever be right now and will be more valuable to the Royals than Borchard, who is going to take Maggs spot next year.

Now Armas has been sort of injury prone the last couple of years, but when he's healthy he's ot really good stuff. He's still young (26, I think) and would cost a lot less in terms of money and prospects than Garcia would.

Now with Konerko, Koch, Valentin, and Maggs coming off the books, thats about 35 million dollars, which isn't including raises. So, we'd have the inside track on signing Beltran, and if we couldn't sign him, we would get two first round picks next year (as well as the two first rounders for Maggs). Plus, next year's free agent class is really good, and we could go for possibly Berkman and maybe a SS such as Renteria, which would cost about 23 million combined. I would resign Valentin for one more year at about 3 million.We would also have money left to go for a closer.

So this year's lineup:

Harris 2B
Beltran CF
Maggs RF
Thomas DH
Lee LF
Konerko 1B
Uribe SS
Valentin 3B
Olivo C

Buehrle
Loaiza
Garland
Armas
Shoeneweis


Next year's lineup

Harris CF
Renteria SS
Berkman 1B
Thomas DH
Lee LF
Uribe 2B
Valentin 3B
Borchard RF
Olivo C

Same rotation

What do you guys think?

I make these trades in a heartbeat, but would K.C & Les Expos do these deals?

batmanZoSo
06-12-2004, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Why? If you want Maggs resigned, why wouldn't you want Beltran if he was reasonable for us to sign? How is Beltran, with us able to fill the right field slot with either Reed or Borchard, and with additional money spent on pitching not allow us to be a WS contender?

Beltran is gonna cost more than Maggs, that's why. It takes away from the rest-of-the-team improvment fund. And I know this team, if we were to sign a huge free agent like that, I don't see them going after any pitchers, do you?

And we can just as easily keep Maggs and put Reed in center.

Bah..neither Maggs nor Beltran will be on the Sox next year from the looks of it anyway.

SEALgep
06-12-2004, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
Beltran is gonna cost more than Maggs, that's why. It takes away from the rest-of-the-team improvment fund. And I know this team, if we were to sign a huge free agent like that, I don't see them going after any pitchers, do you?

And we can just as easily keep Maggs and put Reed in center.

Bah..neither Maggs nor Beltran will be on the Sox next year from the looks of it anyway. How much more? From what Maggs appears to want, they'll be within a mill or two each other. You think we are going to attempt to sign Beltran and just ignore pitching? We should still be able to go after a very good FA pitcher, in addition to the number of prospects who are going to be ready. I guess I just have a little more faith than you do.

batmanZoSo
06-12-2004, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
How much more? From what Maggs appears to want, they'll be within a mill or two each other.

I could see it being a 2-4 mill difference. Maggs injury can't help his cause either.

You think we are going to attempt to sign Beltran and just ignore pitching?

Remember 97? It can happen...

I guess I just have a little more faith than you do.

You must. :smile:

pinwheels3530
06-12-2004, 02:55 AM
I WANT MAGGLIO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CWSGuy406
06-12-2004, 02:56 AM
I think I'd rather get Finley than Beltran - we'd give up less, and Finley is a solid defensively, solid at the plate, playoff experienced vet who could really help us down the stretch.

I'm hoping Kenny has his eye on Finley...

mediasblancas
06-12-2004, 03:27 AM
They're throwing Beltran's name around as part of their dirty corrupt negotiating tactics with Maggs. Don't be fooled. And Tony Armas Jr., please. Now if they had been serious Javier Vazquez would have been here.

kittle42
06-12-2004, 07:01 AM
Ah....the ridiculous trade idea thread....

:threadsucks

gosox41
06-12-2004, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by chisox1388
Nobody has anything to say about this?

I have a few comments.

1. I would like to see the above scenario happen but it won't.
2. PK Is under contract for another season, though I would trade him today for the right deal.
2. No way do the Sox pick up all that salary.
3. It's going to take a lot to get Beltran, whether you pya his salary or not. This isn't Roberto Alomar, this is a bonafide superstar.



Bob

DickAllen72
06-12-2004, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by chisox1388
When first hearing it, I had some mixe feelings about the Sox getting Beltran, but after thinking about i, the should go for it. We need to take every chance we can that will help us become a World Series constender. So here's what we should do:

Trade Crede, Reed, and Rauch and maybe some other mid-level prospect to KC for Beltran. Then go out and get Tony Armas Jr. from the Expos for Rowand, Josh Stewart, and another mid-level prospect. And we will be paying these guys salaries so we won't have to give up too much talent. I would also look for another reliever, but I don't know who's available.

Now I know you're thinking that we shouldn't give up on Crede just yet, and I sort of agree, but one of the things the Royals are looking for is a young major league ready third baseman, which is what Crede is. And with our recent drafting of Josh Fields, a college third baseman, he will take Crede's place by 2006. And with Jeremy Reed, I think he has a chance to be a good player, but his stock is the highest it will ever be right now and will be more valuable to the Royals than Borchard, who is going to take Maggs spot next year.

Now Armas has been sort of injury prone the last couple of years, but when he's healthy he's ot really good stuff. He's still young (26, I think) and would cost a lot less in terms of money and prospects than Garcia would.

Now with Konerko, Koch, Valentin, and Maggs coming off the books, thats about 35 million dollars, which isn't including raises. So, we'd have the inside track on signing Beltran, and if we couldn't sign him, we would get two first round picks next year (as well as the two first rounders for Maggs). Plus, next year's free agent class is really good, and we could go for possibly Berkman and maybe a SS such as Renteria, which would cost about 23 million combined. I would resign Valentin for one more year at about 3 million.We would also have money left to go for a closer.

So this year's lineup:

Harris 2B
Beltran CF
Maggs RF
Thomas DH
Lee LF
Konerko 1B
Uribe SS
Valentin 3B
Olivo C

Buehrle
Loaiza
Garland
Armas
Shoeneweis


Next year's lineup

Harris CF
Renteria SS
Berkman 1B
Thomas DH
Lee LF
Uribe 2B
Valentin 3B
Borchard RF
Olivo C

Same rotation

What do you guys think?

I love it. I hope it all works out just as you've written.

DickAllen72
06-12-2004, 11:19 AM
The most productive positions to spend big money on are CF, SS and stud pitchers.

Catchers and 2b are also important.

Build a winner with stud athletes up the middle and pitching, not slow corner infielders, DH's or corner outfielders.

That's why I'd go for Beltran if we can get him from KC.

SEALgep
06-12-2004, 11:29 AM
The more I think about it, and I could certainly be wrong, I feel like Crede is going to be part of a deal for Beltran. Willie goes back to second and Uribe moves to third. I don't know if that's how they're thinking, but it wouldn't surprise me. However, if the Valentin proposal was true, that would make moving Crede far-fetched. We'll have to see I guess.

OEO Magglio
06-12-2004, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
The more I think about it, and I could certainly be wrong, I feel like Crede is going to be part of a deal for Beltran. Willie goes back to second and Uribe moves to third. I don't know if that's how they're thinking, but it wouldn't surprise me. However, if the Valentin proposal was true, that would make moving Crede far-fetched. We'll have to see I guess.
If kenny won't trade borch or reed, I'm thinking crede would have to be in a deal that landed the sox beltran. That being said I still think there's no chance carlos will end up on the southside though.

Lip Man 1
06-12-2004, 12:33 PM
One thing we do know for certain is that the speculation surrounding Beltran is over. Royals GM Allard Baird in a story moved by the AP yesterday and now on the ESPN.com web site, said he is actively taking calls on trading him.

Baird said he wanted to give things time to see if Kansas City could get back into the race. They had won 6 of 10 before dropping that DH to Montreal.

Now however he said it's time to start making moves.

The AP story said Anaheim, Boston and the Yankees are known to have expressed definate interest.

Lip

SEALgep
06-12-2004, 12:52 PM
I don't see why Anaheim is interested?

Lip Man 1
06-12-2004, 01:09 PM
Perhaps because of their injuries or perhaps if they acquire Beltran that would lead to a follow up trade involving some of their 'spare' outfielders and starting pitchers for other areas.

Getting Beltran could put them in a position of trading strenght by increasing their depth.

Lip

pinwheels3530
06-12-2004, 02:30 PM
Can we show a little support for Magglio a 300 hitter with good power who is a all star right fielder. FOULKE Beltran we need a ACE pitcher

Brian26
06-12-2004, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
The AP story said Anaheim, Boston and the Yankees are known to have expressed definate interest.

Lip

Three teams that don't even need him. I think the White Sox actually have a hell of a shot at making this happen. I trust Kenny. The man has passion.

chisoxt
06-12-2004, 04:19 PM
Trade Crede, Reed, and Rauch and maybe some other mid-level prospect to KC for Beltran

You are nuts!!!!!! You are giving up way too much for a rent a player.

nitetrain8601
06-13-2004, 02:46 AM
You are nuts!!!!!! You are giving up way too much for a rent a player.
He wouldn't be rented. If you listen to the idea, he most likely would be given a long term deal before Maggs.

fquaye149
06-13-2004, 04:20 AM
He wouldn't be rented. If you listen to the idea, he most likely would be given a long term deal before Maggs.
two words:

Scott Boras