PDA

View Full Version : Will Timo ever play?


TimoPerez
06-11-2004, 06:57 PM
He is finally facing his former division but he doesn't play at all. He isn't in tonight's lineup either.

JRIG
06-11-2004, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by TimoPerez
He is finally facing his former division but he doesn't play at all. He isn't in tonight's lineup either.

Yes, the lengths Ozzie goes to prevent a .244/.268/.321 player from getting into the lineup are absurd.

And to pre-empt your next comment, yes Timo is batting .444 (8-18) with RISP, but Ross Gload is batting .412 (7-17) in the same situations.

TimoPerez
06-11-2004, 07:17 PM
That was not what I was going to say. I was going to say that Timo is NOT a .244 hitter, nor will he ever will be. Given regular playing time, I have no doubt that that will go up to .280 at least. At LEAST.

And to pre-empt your next comment, when he hit .247 in 2001, he was playing injured the whole time. Throughout his career, while healthy, he has always hit at least .280. Easily over .300 against righties.

JRIG
06-11-2004, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by TimoPerez
That was not what I was going to say. I was going to say that Timo is NOT a .244 hitter, nor will he ever will be. Given regular playing time, I have no doubt that that will go up to .280 at least. At LEAST.

And to pre-empt your next comment, when he hit .247 in 2001, he was playing injured the whole time. Throughout his career, while healthy, he has always hit at least .280. Easily over .300 against righties.

Well, not easily more than .300 but somewhat close -- .287 against RHP in his career. But he does so without walking at all and very little power. Not what you need from your right fielder.

And to pre-empt your next comment...well, actually, I don't know what you're going to say. :D:

The Cheat
06-11-2004, 07:23 PM
Timo's GB/FB ratio is more lopsided than Willie Harris.

Willie harris 2.1:1
Timo Perez 2.8:1

The problem is Timo doesn't have half the speed of willie.

TimoPerez
06-11-2004, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
Well, not easily more than .300 but somewhat close -- .287 against RHP in his career. But he does so without walking at all and very little power. Not what you need from your right fielder.

And to pre-empt your next comment...well, actually, I don't know what you're going to say. :D:

I said that while he is healthy his average against righties is easily .300. Healthy excludes most of the 2001 season and a small part of the 2003 season.

And to pre-empt your next comment...never mind... :smile:

soltrain21
06-11-2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by The Cheat
Timo's GB/FB ratio is more lopsided than Willie Harris.

Willie harris 2.1:1
Timo Perez 2.8:1

The problem is Timo doesn't have half the speed of willie.



Good stats, the Chort.


Anyways, I wouldn't mind seeing Timo out there once in a while, but I think we have to go with Gload for now, he is the most capable back up out there.

I would much rather see Timo than Rowand, though.

TimoPerez
06-11-2004, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by The Cheat
Timo's GB/FB ratio is more lopsided than Willie Harris.

Willie harris 2.1:1
Timo Perez 2.8:1

The problem is Timo doesn't have half the speed of willie.

I get to see very few of the White Sox games here in New York, so I couldn't tell you how fast Willie Harris is. What I can tell you is that after watching Timo play for the Mets for four years, he is pretty damn fast. His ground ball to fly ball ratio has never been that extreme, but it is not a terrible thing. He is a line drive, contact hitter, who will hit for a relatively high average. He should definitely be playing more than he is now.

The Cheat
06-11-2004, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by TimoPerez
I get to see very few of the White Sox games here in New York, so I couldn't tell you how fast Willie Harris is. What I can tell you is that after watching Timo play for the Mets for four years, he is pretty damn fast. His ground ball to fly ball ratio has never been that extreme, but it is not a terrible thing. He is a line drive, contact hitter, who will hit for a relatively high average. He should definitely be playing more than he is now.

Willie if fast, but he doesn't use his speed very smartly, YET.

Of the few clutch hits that I can remember Timo having this year, a majority of them were singles between the hole SS/3B. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, I love clutch hits. But, in time those grounders will catch upwith him, they won't be finding the hole as often, and his value will go down even more.

TimoPerez
06-11-2004, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by The Cheat
Willie if fast, but he doesn't use his speed very smartly, YET.

Of the few clutch hits that I can remember Timo having this year, a majority of them were singles between the hole SS/3B. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, I love clutch hits. But, in time those grounders will catch upwith him, they won't be finding the hole as often, and his value will go down even more.

It's possible that he saw a hole between third base and shortstop and was trying to go there. He hits lots of line drives into left field, up the middle, and over the second baseman's head. I don't think the groundballs will harm him very much.

lowesox
06-11-2004, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by TimoPerez
He is finally facing his former division but he doesn't play at all. He isn't in tonight's lineup either.

It would be really funny if you really were Timo Perez, and that's why you started this thread.

TimoPerez
06-11-2004, 08:05 PM
:D: No, but i am, without a doubt, his biggest non-family fan. I might even be his biggest fan if you do include his family!

CWSGuy406
06-11-2004, 11:54 PM
Well - swing and a miss...

TimoPerez
06-12-2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by CWSGuy406
Well - swing and a miss...

101 strikeouts in 1157 career at-bats isn't too shabby.

OzzieBall2004
06-12-2004, 04:29 PM
Well he got his chance for a clutch hit tonight and failed miserably....maybe next time....

If you would have told me wed score 4 off Wagner and 4 off Smoltz and lose both games I'd tell you you're nuts. I guess they came to Chicago to do they're best Billy Koch impersonations.....Too bad they didnt go for the L.

TimoPerez
06-12-2004, 04:56 PM
I wouldn't consider that failing miserably, considering hundreds of playings have struck out against John Smoltz in their careers.

Bucktown
06-12-2004, 05:56 PM
I wouldn't consider that failing miserably, considering hundreds of playings have struck out against John Smoltz in their careers.
It sure wasn't success.

TimoPerez
06-13-2004, 01:33 PM
That it wasn't, but Timo has had many clutch hits this season, as well as throughout his entire career.