PDA

View Full Version : Would this help us?

habibharu
06-11-2004, 04:48 PM
now that maggs is just about gone, how bout we trade him for some top prospects and then trade reed, cotts, and maybe somebody else for beltran? maybe we could even trade maggs to the mets, since they want him so badly, for a traschel and 2 or 3 top prospects. we would essentially be trading maggs for beltran, and also maybe gaining a top prospect

thepaulbowski
06-11-2004, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by habibharu
now that maggs is just about gone, how bout we trade him for some top prospects and then trade reed, cotts, and maybe somebody else for beltran? maybe we could even trade maggs to the mets, since they want him so badly, for a traschel and 2 or 3 top prospects. we would essentially be trading maggs for beltran, and also maybe gaining a top prospect

The Mets don't really have any "top" prospects. Plus if the did, I think they would just rather wait til the offseason and not have to give up anybody for him.

34 Inch Stick
06-11-2004, 05:23 PM
It seems to me like it is the Sox who have given up on negotiations with no intent to really pursue them again. If that is the case, a trade would be appropriate. Let's get the Dodgers on the phone again and see what they have to say.

Like Frank, I want Maggs on the team until he retires. I wish the Sox felt the same way.

habibharu
06-11-2004, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski
The Mets don't really have any "top" prospects. Plus if the did, I think they would just rather wait til the offseason and not have to give up anybody for him. scott kazmir is pretty damn good

hsnterprize
06-11-2004, 05:39 PM
I, like many of you, want Maggs to stay here. He's a great, young talent, and it's a shame contract negotiations have broken off. Knowing the Sox, as it's been stated before, there's a lot of "incentives" in that deal that would turn anyone with 1/2 a brain off. Still, as much as I'd hate to see Magglio go, I heard this on the radio, and I think it's a good premise...

First of all, get Maggs healthy. Then, use him as trade bait. Simple as that...trade him, and the Sox will have some power to make some decent moves. We all know the biggest reason why the Sox haven't been able to make a deal for a pitcher is because they don't really have anyone they're willing to put up in a deal with the other team driving up their asking price. With Magglio, the Sox can set the tempo in possibly trading for a 5th starter AND a closer.

I'm confident the Sox will get some kind of deal done. If it involves #30, then so be it. I hate to see Oh-EE-Oh Magglio go, but if it has to be done, then it has to be done. As long as our team gets better after the deal, then I'm not worried about it.

hold2dibber
06-11-2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by habibharu

(1) No way on earth I'd trade Reed and Cotts for 3 months of Beltran.

(2) No way the Mets would trade Tracshel and 2 or 3 top prospects for 3 months of Maggs.

With that said, if Maggs gets healthy and the Sox are convinced he's going to test the free agent waters, I would start putting out feelers to see if he can garner someone that can help the team win this year. Otherwise, I think they should hang onto him and hope he can help carry the team to the post-season then take the draft picks when he leaves.

Jurr
06-11-2004, 05:52 PM
But, if the Mets can get some indication from Maggs that he'd sign with them at the end of the year, then it would be a good trade.

depy48
06-11-2004, 05:54 PM
NO TRASCHEL

sas1974
06-11-2004, 05:59 PM
We're better w/ Maggs than w/o him. We are going to need him for a playoff run. Keep him, let him walk if that's what he wants and take the picks.

mantis1212
06-11-2004, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
We're better w/ Maggs than w/o him. We are going to need him for a playoff run. Keep him, let him walk if that's what he wants and take the picks.

Come trade deadline time there's two types of teams- those selling for the future and those buying for now. The Sox will be buying for now, and anyone who would want Maggs is also buying for now. How would the fans react if we traded Maggs in the middle of a playoff run for some high-level prospects?

There's nothing wrong with keeping Maggs and letting him walk at season's end- we need Maggs for our playoff run. Everybody saying that we need to get something in return for him by the trade deadline needs to relax, because when/if he leaves we'll get two sandwich picks and $14MM in salary breathing room.

jabrch
06-11-2004, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski
The Mets don't really have any "top" prospects. Plus if the did, I think they would just rather wait til the offseason and not have to give up anybody for him.

Um...Kasmir? Reyes? Nye? Pachot? Wright? I think the Mets have some talent that is MLB ready.

harwar
06-11-2004, 06:33 PM
If we make it into the playoffs(and i think this likely) a guy like maggs will be priceless.
I don't believe we will get what he is worth by trading him.
After the season is over let the feeding frenzy on him begin and we can use the millions we would have spent on Maggs to go shopping.

kjhanson
06-11-2004, 07:40 PM
This trade scenario is pointless and absurd for a few reasons. First off, trading Cotts and Reed for Beltran seems reasonable on the surface, but there are a few variables involved. Obviously, Beltran is not gonna help us anymore than Mags will. He doesnt strike as much fear into opposing pitchers. Also, do you really want to face Neal Cotts and Jeremy Reed for the next ten years? You can't trade talent like that inside the division, especially if the player you're getting in return is going to flee your team and the division altogether in the offseason. Hell, if you could guarantee me a W.S. title this year by making that trade and getting rid of Mags, I'm all for it. Unfortunately I don't think our chances are any better with Beltran than Mags. Now, Beltran AND Mags is a different story, but there are other areas that need to be addressed beforehand.

gosox41
06-12-2004, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
Um...Kasmir? Reyes? Nye? Pachot? Wright? I think the Mets have some talent that is MLB ready.

I don't think the Mets would trade for a player right now and give up 2-3 of their top prospects when they can get the same player in 3 motnhs for 2 draft picks.

Bob

jfo go go sox
06-12-2004, 10:32 AM
The problem with trading Maggs then getting Beltran in a seperate deal is that Beltran is a FA after this season according to the Cubune. So we get rid of Maggs, sit squirrel boy Rowand down and have Beltran for 2.5 months. Then he get pissed at a bad offer from the Sox and signs else where??? This is turning into a typical Sox summer with more agony than needed. :o: