PDA

View Full Version : Fields Scouting Video

jabrch
06-11-2004, 04:07 PM
I was watching the mlb.com Josh Fields scouting video. He has a ton of movement in his hands and arms before the pitch and stands unusually far up in the front of the box. I can't think of any good hitters who he looks like. Is this just how he is - or is it stuff we are going to work out of him? How much of a prospect is he? Is he 2 or 3 years away - or more?

Randar68
06-11-2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
I was watching the mlb.com Josh Fields scouting video. He has a ton of movement in his hands and arms before the pitch and stands unusually far up in the front of the box. I can't think of any good hitters who he looks like. Is this just how he is - or is it stuff we are going to work out of him? How much of a prospect is he? Is he 2 or 3 years away - or more?

Consistency is going to be a big thing with him. MANY hitters stand up in the batter's box, particularly fastball-hitters who stand far up in the box to be able to attack breaking pitches before they really start breaking, it's many-times a product of the aluminum bat as well...

If you look at many young hitters, their hands and elbows move WAY more than you'd advocate. Brian Anderson had some busy hands in the batter's box. It is definitely something that will be worked-on by Sox hitting instructors. Playing everyday, year-round, and getting regular instruction will certainly improve those things. The fact that he has a good eye for pitch recognition will only help, and he makes good hard contact at a high enough rate to not be overly concerned by it.

NonetheLoaiza
06-11-2004, 04:48 PM
I hear that alot of people are high on Josh Fields. Barring any major injuries or setbacks, I heard that he could be 3 years away from a regular job. And with the way Crede is hitting now, the sooner the better.