PDA

View Full Version : Interleague Play; For It or Against It?

PINWHEELS
06-11-2004, 01:45 PM
I For One Like It, It Gives Fans a chance to see teams that you normally do not see. The only thing I would change is to have the SOX/cubs series played just once a year instead of twice. That way you get a chance to see all of teams of the NL East (NY Mets).

Randar68
06-11-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by PINWHEELS
I For One Like It, It Gives Fans a chance to see teams that you normally do not see. The only thing I would change is to have the SOX/cubs series played just once a year instead of twice. That way you get a chance to see all of teams of the NL East (NY Mets).

One word: "Poll"

ewokpelts
06-11-2004, 01:47 PM

I'd mix it throughout the season. It'll make traveling better(a team can stay in chicago or nyc for 6 days, instead of 3). And I'd play every NL team.
Gene

OEO Magglio
06-11-2004, 01:49 PM
I love the sox-cubs series's but the rest of interleague play I could care less about.

Dadawg_77
06-11-2004, 01:52 PM
You know currently the Sox get screwed every year by interleague play. Who would you rather face the Brewers or the Cubs? The Sox get six with the Cubs while the Twins get six with the Brewers. If this division is decided by less then six games, that scheduling difference could have a major impact on the divisional race.

fledgedrallycap
06-11-2004, 01:53 PM
I like it. The Cub series is outstanding and it's fun to have teams like the Philly's and Braves come to town. However, if it went away I wouldn't have any sleepless nights.

VeeckAsInWreck
06-11-2004, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
I love the sox-cubs series's but the rest of interleague play I could care less about.

Surely you jest, who wouldn't want to see a Devil Rays-Expos dream matchup! :D:

No but seriously, I like interleague play. Actually Bill Veeck had the idea a long time ago, but the people in charge didn't like Veeck or his ideas. Of course, now Bud Selig gets credit for doing this. :angry:

ewokpelts
06-11-2004, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck
Surely you jest, who wouldn't want to see a Devil Rays-Expos dream matchup! :D:

No but seriously, I like interleague play. Actually Bill Veeck had the idea a long time ago, but the people in charge didn't like Veeck or his ideas. Of course, now Bud Selig gets credit for doing this. :angry:

I'd go to a sched where the sox play EVERY mlb team for a series or two, and preserve the sanctity of division rivalries....i hate unbalnaced scheds.....the yankess dont deserve the 18 games they play with tampa.
Gene

Frater Perdurabo
06-11-2004, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
I'd mix it throughout the season. It'll make traveling better(a team can stay in chicago or nyc for 6 days, instead of 3). And I'd play every NL team.
Gene

I like this plan.

thepaulbowski
06-11-2004, 02:14 PM
I'm tired of interleague play, even against the Cubs. I'd rather have the Sox play all teams outside their division more than once at home and on the road.

pczarapa
06-11-2004, 02:15 PM
I really enjoy the Cub series, but if those were the only 6 games they played in interleague I wouldn't mind.

CHISOXFAN13
06-11-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
You know currently the Sox get screwed every year by interleague play. Who would you rather face the Brewers or the Cubs? The Sox get six with the Cubs while the Twins get six with the Brewers. If this division is decided by less then six games, that scheduling difference could have a major impact on the divisional race.

That Brewers team has some quality talent, and they gave Anaheim fits. I agree when I first saw that, I was disgusted, but I think Miwaukee can get the job done three times like it did last season.

CubKilla
06-11-2004, 02:27 PM
Interleague sucks. They should do away with Interleague and realign both the League's and the Divison's to suit obvious geographical/current rivalries. For instance, I'd be a huge proponent for the following, hypothetical, division.....

Chicago White Sox
Chicago Cubs
Minnesota Twins
St. Louis Cardinals
Milwaukee Brewers
Detroit Tigers

This is a potential win/win for all parties involved, leaving many "natural" rivalries intact, creates the potential for new rivalries and increased MLB stadium/team revenue considering a Sox fan or a Cub fan would be able to go see the White Sox or Cubs in St. Louis or Detroit for a majority of their road games if one was so inclined because an away game would only be 3-4 hours away..... if the current unbalanced schedule remains intact.

Realignment could be done to impact other teams/regions similarly.

My plan is radical, many teams would have to change leagues/divisons, but I believe that actions such as this will positively impact baseball, for both the Organizations and the fans, in the long run.

LongLiveFisk
06-11-2004, 02:32 PM

Agree 100%. One 3 game-series with them is enough.

Hondo
06-11-2004, 02:35 PM
If they figure out a way to balance the schedules then I'm fine with it.

I would also like to see them outlaw astroturf,the DH, and play world series games before 10 pm but....

minastirith67
06-11-2004, 02:36 PM
Being something of a traditionalist, I am AGAINST interleague play as it violates the integrity of the different leagues. I am of the opinion that the American League is the best way to play professional baseball, and I hate to see National League clubs take advantage of our Sox and other AL teams when they travel to NL ballparks. Winning the pennant should be the ultimate achievement, and then the World Series is an added piece of cake at the end, should you win it.

Voice of Reason
06-11-2004, 02:59 PM
I hate interleague play because of what it does to the schedules. I don't see a reasonable way to balance it either, I don't like the idea of teams playing everyone in MLB.

misty60481
06-11-2004, 03:10 PM
I dont like the idea of American League & National League rules whoever wins World Series go by there rules --- if American League team wins then DH all next season the American League loses out because most of there pitchers cant hit

Dick Allen
06-11-2004, 03:27 PM
I think interleague play is great, but I wish the NL would adopt the DH to make it even better. Nothing puts me to sleep more than watching a manager walking the 8th place hitter to get to the pitcher.

NonetheLoaiza
06-11-2004, 03:46 PM
I'm torn on interleague play. I love the Cubs/Sox series twice a year, but most of the other match ups are not too good. White Sox vs. Expos? This year provides the Sox with some good matchups, but it doesn't happen every year. All in all, I think the interleague games needs to be trimmed down a couple.

PINWHEELS
06-11-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Dick Allen
I think interleague play is great, but I wish the NL would adopt the DH to make it even better. Nothing puts me to sleep more than watching a manager walking the 8th place hitter to get to the pitcher. Then You take away Almighty Double Switch! :D:

vegyrex
06-11-2004, 04:44 PM
I'm against. I don't like the way it affects the schedule.
Besides there is only so many times you can bitch slap the flubs before it starts getting old. Attendance for the cross town classic was going down after it became apparent the flubs were not going to be able to beat the Sox.

TommyJohn
06-11-2004, 05:33 PM
If I had it my way, I'd do away with Interleague play except for the geographical rivalries, like Cubs-White Sox. I would add a
7th "rubber game" to the series,which could come in handy to
break the couple of 3-3 ties we've had.

I think the Cubs-White Sox series are great fun. What else could
liven up a dull season? Of course, this year the White Sox are in
contention so we have "bigger fish to fry" (to trot out an old
quote) and can have fun rooting the team on to finish in first
place, but the feelings between fans will still be intense.

The series has been great for that emotional intensity. Who can
forget 2000, when the Sox and Cubs split? Les Grobstein rubbed
the last place Cubs' split with the first place Sox in fans faces.
"Co-city Champions!" He chortled. In 2001, when the Sox whipped the first place Cubbies and Les was reminded of it, well..
"the Cubs have the better record! The Cubs have the better re-
cord!! A buh....a buh....a buh!!!!!"

It was in that same 2001 series that Jay Mariotti, the objective
journalist, exposed himself as a hysterical, braying jackass. (Not
that he wasn't one before that.) Remember when the man who
"sees things clearly" lost it and called the Sox "scum?" (Or smut,
I have to admit I'm not sure now. PHG writes that it was "smut.")

Last but not least, there have been plenty of exciting moments
for both teams on both sides of town. Remember CLee's grand
slam, the 8-0 deficit erased, the extra inning thriller in 2000, the
homer-in-the-basket by Caruso? Granted, they probably would
not be as well remembered if they came against, say, the Devil
Rays; but the fact that it came against the "city" rivals is part of
what makes it so much fun. If both teams are in contention at the
end of June it will make the games that much better.

idseer
06-11-2004, 06:07 PM
against it.

Foulke You
06-11-2004, 06:40 PM
I like it for the Sox vs Cubs series but I wouldn't shed a tear if the rest went away. I can't get too amped up over Sox vs. Phillies or Sox vs. Expos.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-11-2004, 07:17 PM
No interleague games.
No divisions.
Balanced schedules.
No wild-cards or any other also-rans.
One playoff round: the World Series.

After 6 months of nearly daily ballgames, the undisputed best team in baseball should never be left to chance or stupid gimmicks, ala the NFL. Their 16-game schedule doesn't mean crap. Baseball's 162 game schedule does. Don't cheapen it.

You want all this other nonsense? Set up a separate punchout tournament. The Sox can play the Cubs every year and only the winner gets to advance to the "next round" where a tournament champion is eventually decided.

StillMissOzzie
06-12-2004, 12:31 AM
While my first wish would be for radical realignment that does away with the DH, my only gripe with interleague play is the way the DH gets treated. NL teams have an inherent advantage, becaue they get to IMPROVE their team by using a DH when they play in the AL park. Of course, they could choose not to, but I haven't heard of it yet. When the AL team plays in the NL park, they heve to DOWNGRADE their team by having the pitcher bat, which they haven't done all year.

On the other hand, we'll need that pitcher BP for the WS!!!

SMO
:gulp:

Railsplitter
06-12-2004, 12:46 AM
Against. The Sox could end up helping the Cubs! Also, from a geographic stand point at least, Boston- San Diego makes no sense.

batmanZoSo
06-12-2004, 12:47 AM
I'm totally for Interleague play. I think it's stupid that after 103 years, this is is the first time the Braves have visited the south side. What is that? This is the only sport where one could even conceive such a thing.

I'm in favor of melding the leagues together to an extent...either DH in both or DH in none (because that really screws up things for AL teams in NL parks). Preferrably DH in both leagues. Pitchers batting is a joke..NL-minded purists can go suck a lemon. I want to see skill, not see some pitcher go up there literally as overmatched as I would be. When those goofs say "real baseball" I just die laughing.

And there should be no designated divisional play like we have now. It should be just like other sports--you play everybody. I'm sick of the same stadiums, the same teams every year. And get rid of this unbalanced schedule. How many times do we have to play in that dump up north, or depressing Kansas City. Would you like to see the Sox play in Dodger Stadium more often? Or SBC Park? I never understood the "sacredness" of the two Leagues. To me it's just baseball, not American League and National League. With all the player league changes every year, there really isn't a dividing line at all anymore.

Nellie_Fox
06-12-2004, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
No interleague games.
No divisions.
Balanced schedules.

After 6 months of nearly daily ballgames, the undisputed best team in baseball should never be left to chance or stupid gimmicks, ala the NFL. Their 16-game schedule doesn't mean crap. Baseball's 162 game schedule does. Don't cheapen it. Yes. Yes, yes, yes. You want the Cubs against the Sox? Go back to the old "City Series (http://www.baseballyarn.com/ovcs.htm) " that they used to hold off and on in the teens, twenties, thirties and forties after the regular season ended if neither team was in the WS. Play a best of seven for the city championship.

By the way, the Sox dominated the old series, 18-6-1

nasox
06-12-2004, 01:49 AM
No interleague games.
No divisions.
Balanced schedules.

After 6 months of nearly daily ballgames, the undisputed best team in baseball should never be left to chance or stupid gimmicks, ala the NFL. Their 16-game schedule doesn't mean crap. Baseball's 162 game schedule does. Don't cheapen it.

You want all this other nonsense? Set up a separate punchout tournament. The Sox can play the Cubs every year and only the winner gets to advance to the "next round" where a tournament champion is eventually decided.

I like everything but the one series playoffs is not going to happen: too much lost revenue. Think of how pissed all the owners would be, the stadium workers/concessions managers, etc., the tv networks (ESPN and FOX). Maybe, just maybe, a two series Championship Series and WS would work but I even doubt that.

I hate interleague play. It just isn't the way baseball should happen. Stupid, that's all it is, even with the 6 game whacking of the Cubs we get every year.

TommyJohn
06-12-2004, 05:41 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
Yes. Yes, yes, yes. You want the Cubs against the Sox? Go back to the old "City Series (http://www.baseballyarn.com/ovcs.htm) " that they used to hold off and on in the teens, twenties, thirties and forties after the regular season ended if neither team was in the WS. Play a best of seven for the city championship.

That will never happen again. Those days are long over. Players
won't want to risk injury to play in a meaningless postseason
series. Players back then liked the series because it meant extra
money, but that won't be an issue now.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-12-2004, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by nasox
I like everything but the one series playoffs is not going to happen: too much lost revenue. Think of how pissed all the owners would be, the stadium workers/concessions managers, etc., the tv networks (ESPN and FOX). Maybe, just maybe, a two series Championship Series and WS would work but I even doubt that.

I hate interleague play. It just isn't the way baseball should happen. Stupid, that's all it is, even with the 6 game whacking of the Cubs we get every year.

Hey, who said it had to be practical?! :smile:

What made the World Series the undisputed greatest annual event in American sports was the 6-month build up: 2 champions finally meeting after disposing of 9 league rivals not because of a bunch of stupid gimmicks (divisions, wild cards, unbalanced schedule, record against common opponents, number of fingers up their butt), but because all their wins across 162 games proved them the absolute best team.

Biggest moron in baseball -----> :tool
"When I move the Brewers to the N.L., can I please rename them the Braves, too?"

Instead of stressing what makes baseball BETTER THAN the NFL, the morons running MLB dumbed it down to look just like the NFL. That's how we ended up with the mess we have today.

Still, if the TV networks want playoff games, give them playoff games with a separate punchout tournament. The first round games (like Cubs/Sox) can be held around the All-Star Game in July. Winners would advance to the second round games played in September (when regular season attendance for also-rans would be waning anyway). The World Series would be played in early-October after the regular season schedule ended. After that would come the punchout tournament's finale, the quarter-finals, semi-finals, and finally the championship. The whole thing would be over by Halloween, same as ever.

I might suggest the semi-finals and championship be held in one host city's ballpark, imitating the NCAA's Final Four. It would be baseball's Super Bowl. a big corporate blowout event with staging and other NFL-type hype planned months (years?) in advance of the actual games.

TV executives would eat that **** up. The people at MLB are too dumb to know it.

BTW, nice to read a post by NellieFox.

Lip Man 1
06-12-2004, 11:50 AM
I've learned to live with it but I agree with George that something has to be done to balance the schedules better.

Just look at the difference in the teams the Twins and the Sox play. If this race is going to be as close as some say it is, it's unfair that one team gets to play teams that are performing better then the teams the other club plays.

I also would like if they are going to make this a permanent part of the game to rotate the teams that are going to be played in an orderly basis.

The first few years the Sox only played teams from the N.L. Central. They stopped that when the fans started saying (correctly I might add) and the players union that Interleague play was supposed to be about seeing every team every three years. Now however the Sox are playing teams out of the N.L. East twice in the past three years and haven't played the N.L. Central Division since 2001. They need to get some consistency in this interleague scheduling. The Sox should be playing teams out of the Central this year.

2001- N.L. Central
2002- N.L. East
2003- N.L. West
2004- N.L. East (??)

By the way George, Selig came out a few days ago and said he has decided not to consider expanding the number of teams in the post season. He said he was giving it serious consideration from as far back as last year but has decided against doing it.

Lip

ewokpelts
06-12-2004, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Interleague sucks. They should do away with Interleague and realign both the League's and the Divison's to suit obvious geographical/current rivalries. For instance, I'd be a huge proponent for the following, hypothetical, division.....

Chicago White Sox
Chicago Cubs
Minnesota Twins
St. Louis Cardinals
Milwaukee Brewers
Detroit Tigers

This is a potential win/win for all parties involved, leaving many "natural" rivalries intact, creates the potential for new rivalries and increased MLB stadium/team revenue considering a Sox fan or a Cub fan would be able to go see the White Sox or Cubs in St. Louis or Detroit for a majority of their road games if one was so inclined because an away game would only be 3-4 hours away..... if the current unbalanced schedule remains intact.

Realignment could be done to impact other teams/regions similarly.

My plan is radical, many teams would have to change leagues/divisons, but I believe that actions such as this will positively impact baseball, for both the Organizations and the fans, in the long run.

Eddie Einhorn beat you to this one. He's been telling Selig about this for years.
Gene

santo=dorf
06-12-2004, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski
I'm tired of interleague play, even against the Cubs. I'd rather have the Sox play all teams outside their division more than once at home and on the road.

So you would rather see the Sox go on another 1-8 West Coast road trip than see them play a team they have never played in their 103-year old history or stack up some wins against the Expos?

I love interleague play. I'm glad they stop having the same divisions playing each other every year (NL Central vs. AL Central.) It's also great to see World Series rematches each year too. Like last year when we took 2 of 3 from the Dodgers, which was a more important series to win than that 1959 series with them.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-12-2004, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by santo=dorf
So you would rather see the Sox go on another 1-8 West Coast road trip than see them play a team they have never played in their 103-year old history or stack up some wins against the Expos?

I love interleague play. I'm glad they stop having the same divisions playing each other every year (NL Central vs. AL Central.) It's also great to see World Series rematches each year too. Like last year when we took 2 of 3 from the Dodgers, which was a more important series to win than that 1959 series with them.

You've got your argument in favor of interleague play bass ackwards. The Sox are at a *disadvantage* because of unbalanced schedules and interleague games. The Twins are fattening up on the Brewers while we play the Flubs. The Twins are fattening up on the Devil Rays (or at least ought to be) because of an unbalanced schedule. Those are reasons for getting rid of interleague games, right?

santo=dorf
06-12-2004, 02:25 PM
You've got your argument in favor of interleague play bass ackwards. The Sox are at a *disadvantage* because of unbalanced schedules and interleague games. The Twins are fattening up on the Brewers while we play the Flubs. The Twins are fattening up on the Devil Rays (or at least ought to be) because of an unbalanced schedule. Those are reasons for getting rid of interleague games, right?

How come no one was complaining about the Twins playing the Brewers before 2001? The Brewers were a better team than the Cubs in 1999 and 2000, and the Twins were horrible. It's a cyclical process. We had an advantage over the Twins for a couple of years, and now they have an advantage over us.I just want to the Sox to win as many of the 162 games possible and not have to come up with excuses as to why we were X amount of games behind the Twins. Some of you are complaining about the Yankees playing the D-Rays 19 times a year. We were all looking forward to playing the Tigers last year, and look what happened. Keep in mind that the Yankees usually have to play a 90 game win team 19 times a year also. I'm sick of hearing this unbalanced schedule fluff.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-12-2004, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by santo=dorf
How come no one was complaining about the Twins playing the Brewers before 2001? The Brewers were a better team than the Cubs in 1999 and 2000, and the Twins were horrible. It's a cyclical process. We had an advantage over the Twins for a couple of years, and now they have an advantage over us.I just want to the Sox to win as many of the 162 games possible and not have to come up with excuses as to why we were X amount of games behind the Twins. Some of you are complaining about the Yankees playing the D-Rays 19 times a year. We were all looking forward to playing the Tigers last year, and look what happened. Keep in mind that the Yankees usually have to play a 90 game win team 19 times a year also. I'm sick of hearing this unbalanced schedule fluff.

Well ****, that's easy to answer. The reason Sox Fans weren't complaining back in 2001 was because the Sox had the advantage over the Twins thanks to unbalanced schedules and interleague games. DUH!

If you wanted to hear complaints, you should have gone to "Twins Interactive" and given your special spin on events. I can hear it now... "Don't worry guys. It all comes out even eventually... you just have to wait 3-4 years... spending 6 months playing all these games this summer is just for fun... sure, you're getting the fuzzy end of the lollipop, but we'll just put a big fat asterisks next to the Sox division championship... 162 games decided nothing that you ought to worry about..."

Nellie_Fox
06-13-2004, 01:46 AM
Schedules should not "even out" over a matter of years. Each team should have an equal chance within each season.

Interleague play also plays havoc with the wild card. Now, I hate the wild card even more than I do interleague, but it's there. If your rival for the wild card spot is playing their interleague games against an easier division than you are, you're at a disadvantage.

Dadawg_77
06-13-2004, 11:20 AM
Schedules should not "even out" over a matter of years. Each team should have an equal chance within each season.

Interleague play also plays havoc with the wild card. Now, I hate the wild card even more than I do interleague, but it's there. If your rival for the wild card spot is playing their interleague games against an easier division than you are, you're at a disadvantage.
Hey Nellie where have you been, long time no see. I missed the sumo updates.

Interleague play is a good as a gimmick to drive up attendance, but it is bad in the fact teams play different teams. I would get rid of it and use those extra series as more divisional games. Also would like to see the entire month of Sept be divisional play.

Nick@Nite
06-13-2004, 11:33 AM
I was at the Mets - Royals games Friday night and yesterday... trust me, you're not missing much.

Nick@Nite
06-13-2004, 11:59 AM
No interleague games.
No divisions.
Balanced schedules.
Yeah... I'd also do away with the DH.

RKMeibalane
06-13-2004, 12:12 PM
Here is my proposal for divisional reallignment and a new scheduling format:

1. Something needs to be done about the relative number of teams in both leagues. As of now, there are only fourteen American League teams, compared to sixteen National League teams. The only option is to move the Arizona Diamondbacks to the American League West, which would allow for Houston to be shifted over to the NL West, where they belong. This leaves each league with fifteen teams. Therefore, there must be an interleague series every day in order to avoid teams having extra off days. I say that moving the D-Backs is the only option because Bud Selig won't dare move the Brewers back to the American League.

Moron ----------------------------------------> :tool

2. As result of the changes made in the idea above, teams should play one three-game series against teams from the opposite league each year, and one four-game series against their geographic rival. For example, the White Sox should play a total of forty six games against National League opponents, with a four-game series against the Cubs.

3. Teams should play two three-games series each against teams from different divisions within the same league. For example, the Sox would face the Texas Rangers twice each season. This is somewhat similar to the arrangment used now, although the Sox do face certain teams from the AL West more than twice. This comes to a total of sixty games played outside the division.

4. The remaining fifty six games on the schedule will be allocated for games played within each team's division. The Sox would face each of the four teams in their division a total of fourteen times each season.

Checking the numbers, we have 46 + 60 + 56 = 162

minastirith67
06-13-2004, 09:46 PM
It sounds like George wants to install a sort of European football cup tournament into baseball. After some thought, I think this is an excellent idea, as long as the competition is separate from the actual season. Wild card system should be done away with. I miss the old joy and glory of winning the pennant.

doublem23
06-13-2004, 09:50 PM
Interleague sucks... Baseball should either do something radical, like reorganize the leagues and divisions or be done with interleague... No more of this "on the fence" crap.

MikeW
06-13-2004, 10:08 PM
Being a traditionalist, I would have to say I don't like interleague play. It was a novelty for awhile, but I think it has run its course. I miss playing the Yankees and Boston more than 6 times a year.

RKMeibalane
06-13-2004, 10:30 PM
Interleague sucks... Baseball should either do something radical, like reorganize the leagues and divisions or be done with interleague... No more of this "on the fence" crap.
That's not going to happen as long as Selig is calling the shots. The man is obsessed with the idea of trying to make baseball more like football or basketball. The next thing you know, he's going to have eight teams in each league make the playoffs, and then set up the traditional NBA-style matchups for the first round. The playoffs will end up being two months long, with the World Series taking place around Thanksgiving. Ugh!

TheBull19
06-14-2004, 06:04 AM
I have to agree w/ Ozzie, the AL teams are at a disadvantage when playing at NL parks since our hitters never get to hit or bunt, but I dislike the DH even more so I wouldn't have problem w/ interleague after they take my advice and reverse the DH rule. It destroys the otherwise perfect symmetry of the game, 9 players, 9 innings, 3 outs, 3 strikes, 3 bases, 90 feet between bases, 60 ft to the mound, 120 from home to second - it throws off the whole multiples of 3 thing.

TheBull19
06-14-2004, 06:20 AM
What made the World Series the undisputed greatest annual event in American sports was the 6-month build up: 2 champions finally meeting after disposing of 9 league rivals not because of a bunch of stupid gimmicks (divisions, wild cards, unbalanced schedule, record against common opponents, number of fingers up their butt), but because all their wins across 162 games proved them the absolute best team.

I agree but I'd just be happy w/ the two division per league set-up. It still really meant something to win the division and the league championship and world series set-up still would ensure you aren't getting any 2nd rate teams in there w/ 30 teams in the league. You'd still be dispatching 6 or 7 teams, just like when there were 8 teams per league. Could you imagine just the 2 teams advancing w/ 15 teams per league - there'd be twenty plus teams out of contention by the half. That could be disastrous for attendance and put the league in a tailspin if you ask me, but I don't like the 5 team divisions and wild-card format either.

Illini678
06-14-2004, 09:00 AM
As a baseball purist, I am another one who would like to see interleague play go away. "Interdivisional" rivalries such as Sox-A’s, Sox-Angels, Sox-Yankees, etc. have diminished so we can play teams like the Phillies and the Braves, with whom we have no historical connection. Although I admit some of the geographical rivalries are exciting, there are not enough of them to go around to make interleague play worthwhile. A team’s priority is to make the playoffs and advance to the World Series. They shouldn’t be wasting games playing against teams in the other league.

In a perfect world, baseball would go back to two divisions in each league, with seven teams each. Contract the Expos (MLB has made a mockery out of what was once a great franchise) and the Devil Rays (a mistake right from the beginning). Either Milwaukee or Colorado would then move to the AL (most likely Colorado since Selig would not want to give up the gates against the Cubs, which is the only time fans actually come to Miller Park). Teams would play either 16 or 17 games against division rivals and 9 games against teams in the other division. No interleague games would be played. Once again there will be exciting pennant races (not like the wild card pennant races between the forth and fifth best teams in the league) for the first time since ‘93 (the Braves-Giants race of that year) and an LCS and World Series between FIRST place teams (although the Marlins and Angels were exciting, I cringe at the idea of a team that didn’t even win its division playing in the World Series).

Will this ever happen? Absolutely not. Selig will continue to erode the game’s traditions until it is a mirror image of the NBA. Money speaks louder than tradition. With Selig, you have to look at what would be the most logical decision that would be best for the game, and then expect him to do the complete opposite. Of course, my opinion probably represents only a small minority of baseball fans.

TomParrish79
06-14-2004, 09:23 AM
I like interleague play, I think its good for teams to play each other that wouldnt normally play unless they both made it to the World Series, and for some teams its a good chance to get more people into the stadium.

But as a Sox fan , I really dont wanna see Philadelphia EVER again, those boys can freakin hit that pill!!!

pinwheels3530
06-14-2004, 09:29 AM
For it, when are the Dodgers coming to the southside???

PINWHEELS
06-14-2004, 10:56 AM
I was at the Mets - Royals games Friday night and yesterday... trust me, you're not missing much.We sure are, a couple of wins!