PDA

View Full Version : Impressive Foulke Stat

hold2dibber
06-11-2004, 11:43 AM
At the risk of starting another 300-message thread concerning the Koch/Foulke trade, I thought I'd point out an impressive stat reported in this morning's Trib. Among all players with at least 100 career saves, Foulke is 6th in terms of career save percentage (behind only Gagne, Smoltz, Rivera, Henke and someone else I can't remember). There are more than 100 players with at least 100 saves and he is 6th! I think you can make a pretty convincing argument that Foulke is one of the best closers ever.

Hangar18
06-11-2004, 11:50 AM
Just think ............. Reinsdorfs Policies (Follies) caused this.
Just a few million more, and we make the PLAYOFFS last season, and were in 1st NOW by 5 games instead of behind by 1 1/2

Tekijawa
06-11-2004, 11:55 AM
Just remember Cotts came over in that trade too so ALL is not lost!

Rocky Soprano
06-11-2004, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Just a few million more, and we make the PLAYOFFS last season, and were in 1st NOW by 5 games instead of behind by 1 1/2

Since when are we behind by 1 1/2?

jabrch
06-11-2004, 11:58 AM

and none of it had to do with the fact that Foulke stunk up the joint the year he was traded? Or that JM benched him? This is all JRs fault? Let it go Hangar - let it go.

Hangar18
06-11-2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Rocky Soprano
Since when are we behind by 1 1/2?

Unfortuneately........

http://www.suntimes.com/index/baseball.html

CWSGuy406
06-11-2004, 12:28 PM
Unfortuneately........

http://www.suntimes.com/index/baseball.html

Well - no, it's a half a game... http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/standings/index.jsp

Sun-Times flop... They have the record right, but it's only a half a game.

TDog
06-11-2004, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by CWSGuy406

Math must not be their thing.

FarWestChicago
06-11-2004, 12:48 PM
http://www.flyingsock.com/daver/deadhorse.gif

Brian26
06-11-2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
and none of it had to do with the fact that Foulke stunk up the joint the year he was traded? Or that JM benched him? This is all JRs fault? Let it go Hangar - let it go.

Yeah, and who the hell can forget the MAJOR meltdowns Foulke had? The home game against the Yankees in early 2002. The two meltdowns at the Twinkee Dome in 2001 and 2002 (Denny Hocking, anyone?). Game 1 of the Seattle playoffs series. There were plenty of reasons not to believe Foulke was going to do much else here. Hindsight is 20/20, but let's be honest with ourselves, folks.

Rocky Soprano
06-11-2004, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by CWSGuy406
Well - no, it's a half a game... http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/standings/index.jsp

Yup, only 1/2 game. I knew my math was not wrong. :D:

gosox41
06-11-2004, 02:05 PM

YOu know I blame others besides JR.

]But it's just because I have a personal vandetta and for no other reason, like say, the GM made a bad move. [/COLOR]

Bob

gosox41
06-11-2004, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Yeah, and who the hell can forget the MAJOR meltdowns Foulke had? The home game against the Yankees in early 2002. The two meltdowns at the Twinkee Dome in 2001 and 2002 (Denny Hocking, anyone?). Game 1 of the Seattle playoffs series. There were plenty of reasons not to believe Foulke was going to do much else here. Hindsight is 20/20, but let's be honest with ourselves, folks.

I'll be honest. All closers have meltdowns. If you look at some of those games, the hitters didn't even hit the ball hard off him. Of course I can say that for Koch, but he has given up more HR's (which tend to be harder hit balls then a seeing eye grounder) and more BB's then Foulke. How many meltdowns has Koch had? Why trade a player who has alleged meltdowns for one who has more?

Bob

hold2dibber
06-11-2004, 03:52 PM

Stunk up the joint? Yeah, his 2.90 ERA, .225 BAA, and 1.01 WHIP were horrible in '02. He had a rough stretch and JM and the fans (and possibly KW) GROSSLY overreacted.

hold2dibber
06-11-2004, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Yeah, and who the hell can forget the MAJOR meltdowns Foulke had? The home game against the Yankees in early 2002. The two meltdowns at the Twinkee Dome in 2001 and 2002 (Denny Hocking, anyone?). Game 1 of the Seattle playoffs series.

Did you read the first post? He has the sixth best save converted ratio OF ALL TIME! Anyone can find examples of games blown by a closer - any closer. Yeah, that Mariano Rivera sucks - he choked in game 7 of the WS in '01. Cherry picking a few blown saves does not change the fact that Foulke was, and is, one of the best in the business. He doesn't allow many base runners and he converts an extremely high percentage of save opportunities. Pointing out a few examples of blown saves (and other than the Hocking game and the playoff game, I don't think the other ones were particularly "critical" games) doesn't change a thing.

There were plenty of reasons not to believe Foulke was going to do much else here.

The only reasons to think that was because JM was a jackass. The fact that he finished '02 with great numbers and the fact that he had converted about 90% of his saves over the past 3 years certainly were reasons to believe that Foulke was going to continue to be a upper-echelon closer.

maurice
06-11-2004, 06:04 PM
This stat is even more impressive if it includes the scores of appearances Foulke had as a middle reliever, where he was not eligible to be credited with a save but was eligible to earn a blown save.