PDA

View Full Version : The White Sox in red pinstripes.

TommyJohn
06-11-2004, 12:33 AM
I was perusing mlb.com today and checked out their video library.
They have a demo game, the 1975 All-Star game, at Milwaukee.
I checked out the top of the 9th, because Rich Gossage pitched
that inning.

It was great fun to watch a White Sox in action in the red pin-
stripes. Also playing that inning at shortstop was Bucky Dent,
three years away from becoming the most heinous criminal in
in Boston history after Albert DeSalvo. (Or is Dent even more
hated than him?)

The only downside was the outcome. Gossage gave up the
game-winning hit to Bill Madlock, then of the C.....C.....C.....
Cubs.(He didn't get the loss, though.)

As I said, though, fun watching the White Sox in red.

DSpivack
06-11-2004, 03:11 AM
Great googily moogily are those things hideous!

BigEdWalsh
06-11-2004, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by DSpivack
Great googily moogily are those things hideous!

Surely, you jest! :smile:

Those were my favorite Sox uniforms of all time! Maybe because I was young then, had little responsibilities (ie., no family, kids, etc.) and could afford to go to a LOT of games, not to mention the fact that I lived in the area and went to school downtown. Ahhhh, those were the days. :gulp:

Railsplitter
06-11-2004, 08:51 AM
Those were the Sox unis when I first started watching them, so I have a little nostalgia for them. I was surprised to learn, much later, that those unis first came out in 1971, which was more or less when I first started watching.

Brian26
06-11-2004, 10:18 AM
Personally, the White Sox should never have red as the major color in their unis since there is a Red Sox team in the same league. The current black and silver is perfect...but I understand your nostalgia for the jersey.

Lizard
06-11-2004, 01:36 PM
Those jerseys are the best ever! I have one and always wear it to one of the Sox-Cubs games at Sox Park.

RedPinStripes
06-11-2004, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Personally, the White Sox should never have red as the major color in their unis since their is a Red Sox team in the same league. The current black and silver is perfect...but I understand your nostalgia for the jersey.

*cough cough*

FarWestChicago
06-11-2004, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
*cough cough* Yeah, and we needed a link color, too. :smile:

vegyrex
06-11-2004, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
The current black and silver is perfect...

Yes it is. The Sox should never change uniforms ever again.

cheeses_h_rice
06-11-2004, 10:34 PM
For hideosity, the red & white pinstripes unis got nothin' on the 1977 "Olde Tyme Chicago" look (not to mention SHORTS). :smile:

Also, the first autographs I ever got were guys like Bucky Dent and Rich Gossage in the mid-70s.

I have a photo of me and my brothers all wearing our giveaway Aamco Transmission red & white pinstripe T-shirts from a game in 1975 or so; have to remember to ask my mom to dig that one out...

Ah, memories.

:gulp:

nasox
06-11-2004, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Yeah, and we needed a link color, too. :smile:

Nothing was ever wrong with a little blue, huh? :D:

HomeFish
06-11-2004, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
For hideosity, the red & white pinstripes unis got nothin' on the 1977 "Olde Tyme Chicago" look (not to mention SHORTS). :smile:

I never saw them in person, but the 1977 uniforms look fine to me. If we had to leave the current ones, they'd be my first pick.

Nellie_Fox
06-12-2004, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by HomeFish
I never saw them in person, but the 1977 uniforms look fine to me. If we had to leave the current ones, they'd be my first pick. The floppy collared pajamas with "clam-digger" pants? Please. The only good thing about those uniforms was that they had white socks.

Stay with the current ones or go back to the '59, black and red on cream, unis. Otherwise, forget any of the bad experiments in between.

Brian26
06-12-2004, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
Otherwise, forget any of the bad experiments in between.

Exactly. Just keep the current unis. They are PERFECT.

HITMEN OF 77
06-12-2004, 12:01 PM
I have a complete game from 1970 of the Sox vs Boston at Fenway. Those 1969-1970 White Sox road uni's were the best by far.

RedPinStripes
06-12-2004, 12:40 PM
What the hell is going on here? A thread where the red pin stripes are getting bashed and the ****ing collared softball uni's are gettin love?

Yup. it made no sense why the Sox ever wore "RedPinStripes". One of the stranger things this organization has done over the years that makes no sense. And that's why i took this name! :D:

HITMEN OF 77
06-12-2004, 12:59 PM
I like the red pin stripes, don't care too much for the softball uni's however.

Railsplitter
06-12-2004, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by HITMEN OF 77
I have a complete game from 1970 of the Sox vs Boston at Fenway. Those 1969-1970 White Sox road uni's were the best by far.

The home unis weren't bad either. The pattern was like the Tigers' home outfits, one in blue and with the descending "SOX" inbstead of the old English "D" I would have preferred the current Sox threads to be like this, sort of a negative of the black alternate uniform

Brian26
06-13-2004, 04:59 PM
Were those the grey jerseys with white lettering outlined in blue? I think they were really hard to see because white on grey isn't the best color combo. If the letters and number were blue with white outlining, it might have worked better.

Nick@Nite
06-13-2004, 09:00 PM
The floppy collared pajamas with "clam-digger" pants? Please. The only good thing about those uniforms was that they had white socks.

Stay with the current ones or go back to the '59, black and red on cream, unis. Otherwise, forget any of the bad experiments in between.
Agree!

Lip Man 1
06-14-2004, 01:20 PM
The 1969 - 1970 Sox road uniforms were almost impossible to see on TV or for that matter even if you were sitting in the stands. Light blue on Gray????? with a thin ribbon of Tan???

The only thing wrong with the Sox red pinstripe uniforms from 1971 - 1975 were the fact that the top had a zippered front. Add buttons to those jerseys and they would have been perfect.

I like very much the current Sox home whites and the "Black Sunday" jerseys as well as the road gray ones. The white with black sleeves you can throw in the dumpster. The Sox have absolutely zero connection with those type jerseys. Those were the jerseys of the Reds, Pirates, Kansas City A's and Indians when I was growing up.

The only thing I would change of the home white jersey would be to add a touch of red trim around the Sox logo on the front. A fitting tribute to the "Golden Age," of White Sox baseball 1951 through 1963.

Lip

Railsplitter
06-14-2004, 01:26 PM
I like very much the current Sox home whites and the "Black Sunday" jerseys as well as the road gray ones. The white with black sleeves you can throw in the dumpster. The Sox have absolutely zero connection with those type jerseys. Those were the jerseys of the Reds, Pirates, Kansas City A's and Indians when I was growing up.

Lip
Ironically, the sleevless jersey was inspired by somebody who eventually played for the Sox: Ted Klusewski (sp?) His arms were so big the uniform sleves were cut off to accomidate them

ode to veeck
06-15-2004, 07:19 PM
Nellie wrote: The floppy collared pajamas with "clam-digger" pants? Please. The only good thing about those uniforms was that they had white socks.

I am with Nellie the Purist on this one all the way ... OK I lied, I have a soft spot for the shorts, but that's it.