PDA

View Full Version : A letter I wrote to Brooks Boyer...

hsnterprize
06-10-2004, 09:39 PM
Mr. Boyer, and to all involved in reaching out to the kids of Utica, Illinois...

I watched a news report on Channel 2 News this evening showing members of the White Sox Training Academy going to Utica and giving clinics to kids in the shadows of the community recovering from tornadoes that struck and nearly destroyed their town. It was indeed a pleasure to see the silver and black reaching out to those kids, and as the reporter put it, giving the parents a break from the cleanup. As a White Sox fan, there's nothing more satisfying than to see members of my favorite baseball team reaching out to people in need.

I know your organization reached out to people on a regular basis, but this instance was more special to me from a fan's perspective. You see, I don't know anyone in Utica, or anyone personally affected by the tornadoes. However, I do know about your "Them vs. Us" commercial, and the "Sox Pride" logo that flashes in front of the screen before the 30 second spot is finished. Even though the commercial is a funny "comparison" between the Sox and Cubs, take a moment to think about what "Sox Pride" is. Many of us fans have our own unique definitions of Sox pride, but one thing I think all of us can agree on is the silver and black reaching out to the community. And even though the sight of big league baseball players giving kids in a small Illinois town something to smile about is good no matter what the uniform colors of the players, it gives me and other Sox fans personal satisfaction to see the uniforms of those helping out were White Sox unis.

Your organization deserves serious kudos for doing what you did. From a Sox fan...thanks. You've given me and many other Sox fans a true sense of "Sox Pride."

Original signed...

P.S. Speaking of "Sox Pride", here's an idea to really run with that theme. Why not have people do "man on the street" interviews asking Sox fans what "Sox Pride" means to them. It wouldn't be too hard to run TV, radio, and print ads with different fans' perspectives on what it takes to be a Sox fan. I'm sure anyone who's legitimately approached with the idea would be more than glad to help...myself included. I'm a Sox fan at heart, and I'm more than happy to share that with people. Why? Because in the light of all that "Cub" in the world, it's great to finally see my favorite baseball team standing up and being counted. And as long as you and others within your organization keep up the efforts, we fans will do the same. It's really quite simple...you show us you care about putting a winner on the field, and we'll show you we care by supporting the team with dollars and cents.

I hope he gets the message.

SoxFan76
06-10-2004, 10:41 PM
Believe me, Brooks will get the message. He responds to everybody. I don't know how he does it, but I love this guy. He is the best thing to happen to this organization in a long time.

nitetrain8601
06-11-2004, 12:00 AM
Beautiful post. Makes me wanna get a tissue. Seriously though, I think it was a great message and a great move by the Sox. I'd like to see the Cubs do something for the community besides put up another bar.

nitetrain8601
06-11-2004, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by hsnterprize
P.S. Speaking of "Sox Pride", here's an idea to really run with that theme. Why not have people do "man on the street" interviews asking Sox fans what "Sox Pride" means to them. It wouldn't be too hard to run TV, radio, and print ads with different fans' perspectives on what it takes to be a Sox fan. I'm sure anyone who's legitimately approached with the idea would be more than glad to help...myself included. I'm a Sox fan at heart, and I'm more than happy to share that with people. Why? Because in the light of all that "Cub" in the world, it's great to finally see my favorite baseball team standing up and being counted. And as long as you and others within your organization keep up the efforts, we fans will do the same. It's really quite simple...you show us you care about putting a winner on the field, and we'll show you we care by supporting the team with dollars and cents.

Looks like they listened to you partially. There's a poll on whitesox.com that asks what does Sox pride mean to you?

bennyw41
06-11-2004, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by SoxFan76
Believe me, Brooks will get the message. He responds to everybody. I don't know how he does it, but I love this guy. He is the best thing to happen to this organization in a long time.

Reinsdorf has an edict that ALL of his employees respond to fans, no matter how crazy, or legitimate they are. Its a nice corporate value of theirs.

Randar68
06-11-2004, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by bennyw41
Reinsdorf has an edict that ALL of his employees respond to fans, no matter how crazy, or legitimate they are. Its a nice corporate value of theirs.

Rob Gallas must have had an Anti-Trust exemption on that one...

bennyw41
06-11-2004, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
Rob Gallas must have had an Anti-Trust exemption on that one...

I don't know what Rob's practice was in responding to fans was, but I know for FACT that if you send a message to Bob Grim, Scott Reifert or any other person in the front office, they will do their best to respond with a real answer. Its just the way they do business.

sas1974
06-11-2004, 09:39 AM
I would have to agree in that reference to correspondence, they are very professional. After the White Flag trade, my dad canceled his season tix and wrote a letter to the Times about why he did it. The letter ended up on JR's desk. He called our house to talk to my father about it. It didn't change his mind, but I think it showed a lot that he actually called.

CubKilla
06-11-2004, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by bennyw41
I don't know what Rob's practice was in responding to fans was, but I know for FACT that if you send a message to Bob Grim, Scott Reifert or any other person in the front office, they will do their best to respond with a real answer. Its just the way they do business.

Have they ever told you to "Shut up!", or blamed you for not being able to sign FA's because you don't go to the game?

:)

bennyw41
06-11-2004, 10:59 AM
Never

hsnterprize
06-11-2004, 04:21 PM
Here's what he said...

Harlin,

Thanks for the note you sent to Fan Feedback.

Sox Pride can mean so many things. That’s what makes our fans unique. That is what I am trying to celebrate with our ads. I think, more than anything, Sox fans are proud beings and the ad (and future ads) will instill that sense of pride. The Utica event was phenomenal. We had a chance to affect the lives of these kids and I think we accomplished that goal. I am proud to be part of it as I am proud to part of this organization.

Now, if we can just figure out how to play a home game in October……

All the best and, again, thanks for the note.

Brooks

Brooks Boyer
Vice President, Marketing
Chicago White Sox
333 West 35th Street
Chicago, IL 60616
Phone: (312) 674-5379
Fax: (312) 674-5102

For season or group tickets for White Sox baseball, please call (312) 674-1000.

WSIers...I think we have a winner. He GETS IT!!!!!

Rocky Soprano
06-11-2004, 04:29 PM
Nice to see him respond. I sent him an e-mail like a week ago and never got a response. Maybe he was busy or the e-mail never got there. Nevertheless, I am happy to see that it seems the right person was hired for the job.

Keep up the GREAT JOB Mr. Boyer!

South Side
06-11-2004, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Rocky Soprano
Nice to see him respond. I sent him an e-mail like a week ago and never got a response. Maybe he was busy or the e-mail never got there. Nevertheless, I am happy to see that it seems the right person was hired for the job.

Keep up the GREAT JOB Mr. Boyer!

You'll probably get one now. :smile:

Vernam
06-11-2004, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by hsnterprize
Mr. Boyer, and to all involved in reaching out to the kids of Utica, Illinois...

Great letter! I really was moved by news coverage of the Sox visit to Utica. Just a classy thing to do for kids in that town. My optimism keeps growing about where the organization is headed.

Brooks responded to a mail I sent, too, about marketing them as Apple vs. Microsoft, etc. His reply made it obvious he'd actually read my mail.

VC

Fungo
06-16-2004, 08:46 AM
Does Brooks have a new email address now or is it still whitesoxbaseball@whitesox.mlb.com ?

Just wondering if those of you who emailed him noticed if the address was different from what was originally posted here on the site. If so, could someone please post the new email address. Thanks in advance.

Cellview22
06-16-2004, 09:45 AM
Great letter, hsnterprize!

I'll second Soxfan76 who said Boyer responds to everybody and is the best thing that's happened to this organization. I sent him a letter in the mail about 2 months ago, and just last week I got a letter back from him.
It was on a white card with the black Sox logo across the front and "Chicago White Sox" text at the bottom. In it, He had hand-written:

"'Thanks for the note and for your suggestions. We do many give away promotions but we will strive to do more. We want to make every game an "event" and provide value for each ticket. We will be aggressive in attempting to increase our sponsored promotions. Again, thanks for the note. All the best and Go Sox! Brooks"

Definitely a keep-sake. It made my day!