PDA

View Full Version : [B]5th starter dilemma[/B]

OzzieBall2004
06-10-2004, 06:48 PM
Im growing impatient with the need for a 5th. I'm willing to give Munoz a shot, but even if he throws a gem, I think a proven winner with playoff experience is a must. Not to mention the Braves gave up 18Ks and a perect game in a row. Also, with the exception of Shoenweis, no one on the staff has pitched in the postseason. And even Shoenweis did it out of the pen. Buehrle has said he's not a leader and doesn't want to be, he's just a quiet winner. We need a guy that can motivate the staff and get us over the hump. Ozzies enthusiasm goes a long way, but in my opinion a vocal veteran would do a lot of good.

Unregistered
06-10-2004, 06:51 PM
None of these guys would set foot in the #5 slot for us. I choose Garland.

EDIT: Assuming we acquire one of these guys, that is... :cool:

OzzieBall2004
06-10-2004, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered
None of these guys would set foot in the #5 slot for us. I choose Garland.

EDIT: Assuming we acquire one of these guys, that is... :cool:

I know they wouldnt be the fifth, but theyd fill our need for a 5th starting pitcher. Thats all I was saying

eurotrash35
06-10-2004, 07:01 PM
sheets is the clear choice to me

hold2dibber
06-11-2004, 12:16 AM
KW may covet Sheets, but if anyone thinks the Sox will actually get him, they're nuts (or they better be ready to say goodbye to Reed AND Cotts AND Anderson). Ohka, if I heard right, broke his arm tonight and is out for 6 to 8 weeks.

I guess that leaves Garcia - and I'd love to have him, but there's no way I give up Reed, or even Borchard, for a rent-a-player.

nitetrain8601
06-11-2004, 12:51 AM
I think if we get Freddy Garcia, he will be resigned unless he just doesn't want to come back. I heard that's what JR is willing to do if they make the playoffs and meet expectations.

batmanZoSo
06-11-2004, 12:57 AM
I voted for Garcia because they want Reed for Ben Sheets. And this guy has had precisely one half of a good year in his career. Moving on....

batmanZoSo
06-11-2004, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by nitetrain8601
I think if we get Freddy Garcia, he will be resigned unless he just doesn't want to come back. I heard that's what JR is willing to do if they make the playoffs and meet expectations.

He will be re-signed if he indeed helps us make the playoffs. JR tries to build Championships in small, safe increments. If we fail again, he'll say screw it. (and so will I for that matter)