PDA

View Full Version : How'd you hear about WSI?

kjhanson
06-10-2004, 03:45 PM
Just curious as to how all of you found out about Whitesoxinteractive. I've been browsing and lurking for the past 4 years or so now and was just curious as to how more of the recent members or original members were attracted to the site. I'm assuming word of mouth, and possibly from the radio.

greenpeach
06-10-2004, 03:50 PM
I did a Google search at work one day while I was bored. I no longer have that job, but I've still got White Sox Interactive. :D:

A.T. Money
06-10-2004, 03:53 PM
I was running a web site in 2001-2002 and I had a vBulletin license, so I was just in the members area of the vBulletin site and saw this board.

I saw some of a cool hacks and features Far West Chicago had and I emailed him for some help. He was able to send me some code to make my board better.

I no longer have my sites, but I still hang here.

SOXintheBURGH
06-10-2004, 03:53 PM
Someone posted the Lee Elia rant from:

http://www.angelfire.com/il2/cubssuck/home.htm

on my fantasy league, and after falling in love with that site I found a link to WSI and have been hooked ever since.

lowesox
06-10-2004, 04:03 PM
I think I found it under a search engine. The very first thread I found took place right after the Koch deal. (For the more recent posters) Somebody actually reported the deal a few days before it happened. Ever since then, I've been in love with WSI - and I never dismiss anything posted here.

ode to veeck
06-10-2004, 04:28 PM
there was a thread on this very topic in the parking lot only a couple of weeks ago or so .... probably where this one belongs

for me, there's a rumor FWC remotely hacked my work laptop and reset the home IE page to WSI, been here ever since

Tekijawa
06-10-2004, 04:32 PM
It's the same way I found My Fiancee'... I was drunk, smelling like a bonfire, and arguing about baseball when all of a sudden it appeared to me!!!

Rocky Soprano
06-10-2004, 04:33 PM
A fellow member here was also part of a car club I am part of. Once he learned of my love for the palehose he told me of the site. Have been hooked since.

ma_deuce
06-10-2004, 04:43 PM
Maurice told me about it.

Deuce

ma_deuce
06-10-2004, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by kjhanson
Just curious as to how all of you found out about Whitesoxinteractive. I've been browsing and lurking for the past 4 years or so now and was just curious as to how more of the recent members or original members were attracted to the site. I'm assuming word of mouth, and possibly from the radio.

By the way, Kjhanson, welcome to WSI!

SSN721
06-10-2004, 04:51 PM
I read the John Kass article that was quoted on the home page of WSI the week it came out. The way he described the site I had to check it out. Have been hooked ever since. :D:

WinningUgly!
06-10-2004, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by kjhanson
Just curious as to how all of you found out about Whitesoxinteractive. I've been browsing and lurking for the past 4 years or so now and was just curious as to how more of the recent members or original members were attracted to the site. I'm assuming word of mouth, and possibly from the radio. http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/winningugly/WELCOME.JPG

DSpivack
06-10-2004, 06:08 PM
Hmmm, I think it heard about WSI through word of mouth-- possibly from Kermittheefrog, whom I went to HS with.

Funny, I registered in Dec. 2002 but only really started posting a lot last August, and have posted quite a bit since.

mealfred13
06-10-2004, 06:15 PM
I heard about it on ESPN 1000 one day. Not sure who mentioned it, but I know it was on there.

Shoeless Joe
06-10-2004, 06:16 PM
VeeckAsInWreck introduced me to this site not too long ago. It's amazing how quickly this website has grown. I lurked around for awhile and then I decided I can talk nonsense just like everyone else on the board. (Joking!...sort of)

CyYoung5621
06-10-2004, 06:22 PM
I heard it mentioned on the www.whitesox.com message board.

Foulke You
06-10-2004, 06:40 PM
I found about WSI through a Yahoo search under White Sox back in 1998. I was looking for a fan run Sox site to sheck out and there was this neat little Sox site with crude graphics but loaded with attitude. I read the articles written by George Bova entitled "The Glorius Sweep" about the 1998 sweep of the Cubs at Wrigley. BTW, this article still hangs on my fridge. The picture of the Cubs fans in the front row after Caruso's homer is worth keeping it on the fridge. I also enjoyed the "Italian Beef with Vito Fungo" articles too along with many of the other WSI writers who still write for the site now.

Anyway, WSI upgraded to Rivals.com format and I posted there under the unimaginitive name "Matt C" and then I switched over to Foulke You towards the end of the Rivals era. I guess you can say I'm a WSI veteran. It's been well worth coming to for me for almost 6 years now. Here's to the staff of WSI for having the best fan run site of any team out there. :gulp: :gulp:

hose
06-10-2004, 06:47 PM
I was driving through the intersection of Rand and Golf and PHG was standing on the side of the road with a sandwich board and a bull horn." You in the Chevy, check out White Sox Interactive"

hose
06-10-2004, 06:48 PM
WSI booth at Sox Fest.

batmanZoSo
06-10-2004, 07:20 PM
Someone actually posted the same thread in the PL not too long ago.

I heard about it from people at whitesox.com. I've only been posting since last fall, but I've been "around" pretty much since it opened. I had to get away from all the trolls and stupid people of the mlb boards. This place is so much better organized and intelligent in content. Not to mention much more widely read by media folk. My favorite radio guy posts here and the author of one of my favorite books does too.

StockdaleForVeep
06-10-2004, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
Someone actually posted the same thread in the PL not too long ago.

I heard about it from people at whitesox.com. I've only been posting since last fall, but I've been "around" pretty much since it opened. I had to get away from all the trolls and stupid people of the mlb boards. This place is so much better organized and intelligent in content. Not to mention much more widely read by media folk. My favorite radio guy posts here and the author of one of my favorite books does too.

I heard of it from the jamoke above me

1951Campbell
06-10-2004, 08:57 PM
Google search for Sox fan sites. Lurked for 5 years. Is that a record or something?

FarWestChicago
06-10-2004, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by 1951Campbell
Google search for Sox fan sites. Lurked for 5 years. Is that a record or something? I don't know, but that's a lot of lurking. :D:

1951Campbell
06-10-2004, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
I don't know, but that's a lot of lurking. :D:

Well, there was the matter of only having a Hotmail account...

gosox3072
06-10-2004, 09:05 PM
I believe i learned of WSI from RPS who promised me a chatroom after the old version of chisox.com was killed. I think i posted at the new chisox.com for a while but it became kinda gay after awile with all the trolls and with no chatroom. So i came to WSI and i havent looked back since!

SOXPHILE
06-10-2004, 09:10 PM
I was online at work, and was looking up some stuff about the White Sox. I typed in "Chicago White Sox" and hit search. This was one of the sites I found. After looking over it for about a week, I finall got around to registering on the home computer. I'm hooked ! :cool:

vegyrex
06-10-2004, 09:52 PM
It was mentioned at alt.sports.baseball.chi-whitesox
That newsgroup is pretty dead most days. I hardly ever post there anymore.

C-Dawg
06-10-2004, 10:05 PM
Dave Wills mentioned it on AM 1000 one night when there was a rain delay at Cleveland several weeks ago. Soon as I got home that evening I was online and registering.

Hondo
06-10-2004, 10:23 PM
I just stumbled upon it after a search. It was a pain to register because I have a hotmail account but now I'm addicted.
Great columns,info,witty(and not so witty) banter.

I still haven't met anyone from here but hopefully that changes.

Peace.

Brian26
06-10-2004, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by C-Dawg
Dave Wills mentioned it on AM 1000 one night when there was a rain delay at Cleveland several weeks ago. Soon as I got home that evening I was online and registering.

:wills

"Ah, young lad, that's what we call "power of the spoken word" in the radio business. Now, if I were to tell you about Pete and Rosemary's fantastic deals down at Grandstand on 35th and Wallace, would you be there tonight purchasing something good? By the way, Pete tells me they're finally getting that gorgeous powder blue 1972 White Sox Bill Melton road jersey. Make sure you stop my Jimbo's after you his Grandstand for a delicous pepper and egg sandwich, or maybe they'll whip you up one of those combo's with a COLD Miller Lite. And for ALL of your jewelry needs, I always trust Jared the Galleria of Jewelry. I just recently purchased a gorgeous tennis bracelet there, and maybe I'll wear it in the Bullpen Sports Bar tomorrow night while I'm enjoying some of the Bertucci's Boys fine eats while I'm thinking about making money to pay off my ROSE MORTGAGE home loan that I took out because I just bought two new INTREPIDS at SOUTH OAK DODGE in Matteson..."

:rooney

"Ed, You got the hook ready?"

:farmer

"I'll let him live if he signed his organ-donor card."

voodoochile
06-10-2004, 10:35 PM
It's all West's fault...

compy75
06-10-2004, 10:41 PM
I started out my Sox talk on the AOL boards and heard about it from Hal there. The AOL got so cliquish and inside joke saturated that I finally moved over here to post full time. I have read here for awhile but only recently started posting regularly...

Daver
06-10-2004, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
It's all West's fault...

In my case it's your fault.

You're to blame and there is no denying it.

voodoochile
06-10-2004, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Daver
In my case it's your fault.

You're to blame and there is no denying it.

which of course brings us back to west... :D:

TornLabrum
06-10-2004, 10:49 PM
which of course brings us back to west... :D:

In my case I heard about it from PHG on the White Sox mailing list. Contributed occasional stuff (like rating food at the ball park). Started writing my column during the Rivals days. Started posting here regularly after the ESPN crowd came over.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-10-2004, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
In my case I heard about it from PHG on the White Sox mailing list. Contributed occasional stuff (like rating food at the ball park). Started writing my column during the Rivals days. Started posting here regularly after the ESPN crowd came over.

Torn is a big fan of the chicken dinner, another culinary ballpark-first from our Sox. His ballpark food ratings were always very thorough and thoughtfully written. Now you know how he got the full-time gig.

:)

delben91
06-10-2004, 11:18 PM
I was posting on the ESPN boards and within a week got tired of the trolling. So I asked if anyone knew of any more civilized Sox boards and I believe good ole dagobeef referred me to the Rivals site. About 2 weeks after I showed up at Rivals, they switched over to the current version, and I've been hanging around every since.

I keep waiting to be kicked out for lack of sensical contributions, but it hasn't happened yet. :D:

As for people I've met off the board, I ran into voodoo, IWriteCode...and one other member who's handle escapes me. Hopefully I'll get a chance to get up to Chicago again someday and meet some more of these WSI characters.

jackbrohamer
06-11-2004, 11:01 AM
I did a Google.com search for that song "let's go go go white sox we're with you all the way..." a couple years ago and this was one of the first sites to come up. They used to play the song in the 1970s on Ch. 32 when they had the Sox games on, but that's a different story

Gammons Peter
06-11-2004, 11:06 AM
I'm a huge Steve Dahl fan and I was searching for some cool Disco Demolition pictures

minastirith67
06-11-2004, 03:33 PM
There were FAR too many trolls on whitesox.com and heard this site referred to. Did a google search and here I am! Keep up the good work, PHG, West, Voodoo, Daver, and anybody else I might have forgotten! You guys do a great service for decent Sox fans...thank you!

Iwritecode
06-11-2004, 03:44 PM
It's all West's fault...

Yep.

TomParrish79
06-11-2004, 03:52 PM
Someone over at Whitesox.com mentioned it, and then I cam over here, and the rest is history.

Much better than whitesox.com though.

mikef1331
06-11-2004, 04:53 PM
I found WSI when I was doing a search on Google for Old Comiskey pictures.