PDA

View Full Version : Feder: Shakeup at AM1000. Sox related?

ewokpelts
06-10-2004, 12:43 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/output/feder/cst-fin-feder10.html

Jerry's mentioned. His courtship with the score may have to do with it.
Gene

archangelgabe66
06-10-2004, 12:55 PM
The fact that Jerry is negotiating with "The Score" has everything to do with the shake up at AM-1000. The station is not licensed to transmit over 10,000 watts at night, which is when most the Sox games are played.

The Score is a 24-hour 50,000 watt station that could be heard in at a maximum of 38 states in the U.S. and four provinces in Canada. This type of reach is only beneficial to using the radio outlet as a tool to market the team. (I will leave the marketing side out of the majority of this tread out.)

WMVP is losing money and Disney doesn't like that they paid more than an acceptable rights fee to the Sox. Jerry may be willing to split the advertising revenue with the Scrore in exchange for a wider coverage of the area.

Hangar18
06-10-2004, 01:46 PM
........ not to mention that on Sundays, you can hear the "The Cubs Show" with Bruce LeVineline

ewokpelts
06-10-2004, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
........ not to mention that on Sundays, you can hear the "The Cubs Show" with Bruce LeVineline

:moron

Hangar 18! Thatis most unacceptable! How dare you trivialize the great Levine and his cutting edge progamming! Let's not forget you're public enemy #1 in Rockford!

Brian26
06-10-2004, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18

Actually, Levine talks about the Cubs on Talking Baseball with Rooney, but the station really does have a separate show called the "Cubs Show" just before that...I forget who the host is.

DrCrawdad
06-10-2004, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Actually, Levine talks about the Cubs on Talking Baseball with Rooney, but the station really does have a separate show called the "Cubs Show" just before that...I forget who the host is.

I heard it for the first time (this season) on Sunday. The show is forgettable.

owensmouth
06-10-2004, 07:09 PM
I think Disney's doing some of this all over the country. It's just their method of shaking up the ratings. They'll try one thing and if it doesn't work, try something else until they see higher ratings.

If the Sox were to go to the Score, do you think that their Cub loving ******** would either change their stripes or be fired? I doubt it.

If ESPN were to decide to not contest the upcoming contract, that is to say, not make an offer to keep the White Sox games, then they'd go to a more balanced reporting of the Sox and the Cubs.

However, that would almost guarentee the loss of the Bulls broadcast also, leaving them in much the same position as FSN will soon be.

awesomefan
06-10-2004, 09:04 PM
OWENSMOUTH: What kind of position will FSN soon be in?

I've been havin' lots of trouble with my Fox Sports Net channels lately regarding their scheduling.

duke of dorwood
06-10-2004, 10:02 PM
The Sox will not stay with ESPN-I hate that they'll be on 670. My hope is they go to WBBM-

Reinsdorf vs Mariotti-and ESPN Radio will lose

So will we-I doubt Dave Wills goes with

TornLabrum
06-10-2004, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by archangelgabe66
The fact that Jerry is negotiating with "The Score" has everything to do with the shake up at AM-1000. The station is not licensed to transmit over 10,000 watts at night, which is when most the Sox games are played.

The station broadcasts at 50 KW at night, not 10 kW. It has a directional signal. It is best heard in the southeast, iirc.

petekat
06-10-2004, 10:59 PM
yeah, WMVP comes in clear up and down I-95 on the east coast, was able to hear most of the Koch sunday night meltdown (grrr) while driving through the rural carolinas. Sox actually have quite the following in the SE, not surprising due to the Knights and Barons. We road tripped to Atlanta several yrs ago when the Sox were in town, big crowds in Silver and Black

Randar68
06-10-2004, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood

You realize that the Sox choose the on-air-talent for such things. Rooney/Farmer, Hawk/DJ, Wills...

I don't know Wills' contract info and how that tall goes down, but he has been a good "company man"

Huisj
06-10-2004, 11:35 PM
if they switch to 670, it'll sure help my reception in michigan. AM1000 comes in fine at night, but during the day it's all filled with lots of interference, but 670 is still quite good during the day.

although i guess for this summer it doesn't really matter. I'm out in colorado for the rest of the summer, so I sadly won't be hearing any rooney or farmer for a few more months.

Brian26
06-10-2004, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
The station broadcasts at 50 KW at night, not 10 kW. It has a directional signal. It is best heard in the southeast, iirc.

Exactly right, Torn.

Steve and Garry used to always blame Howard Stern for ripping off their material since their overnight rebroadcast on AM 1000 could be heard in New York. Meanwhile, the station can't be picked up in Dekalb after sundown. Go figure...

owensmouth
06-11-2004, 04:15 AM
OWENSMOUTH: What kind of position will FSN soon be in?

With the development of the new cable sports station next year, FSN will have only MLS games to carry live. The White Sox, Cubs, Bulls and Blackhawks are all going cable.

FSN will be left as a sports station without any sports. The same fate that ESPN could be facing without either the Sox or Bulls.

Notre Dame football and U of I Chicago basketball just isn't enough of a replacement. If they think their ratings are bad now, they ain't seen nothing yet.

Randar68
06-11-2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by owensmouth
Notre Dame football and U of I Chicago basketball just isn't enough of a replacement. If they think their ratings are bad now, they ain't seen nothing yet.

Weiner asked for this war. JR has been an owner in this town for 20+ years now, he picked the wrong fight.

ESPN radio is going down the dumps faster than you can say "Rome is Burning"

fledgedrallycap
06-11-2004, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
The Sox will not stay with ESPN-I hate that they'll be on 670. My hope is they go to WBBM-

Reinsdorf vs Mariotti-and ESPN Radio will lose

Duke,

I could be wrong, but I believe Willsy is technically an employee of the White Sox.

adsit
06-11-2004, 11:21 AM
Exactly right, Torn.

Steve and Garry used to always blame Howard Stern for ripping off their material since their overnight rebroadcast on AM 1000 could be heard in New York. Meanwhile, the station can't be picked up in Dekalb after sundown. Go figure...

I remember them making that claim. What I didn't know then is that, around NYC at least, the skywave of AM1000 is all but obliterated by the sideband of WINS AM1010. Though I don't doubt Steve and Garry did a lot of Stern's "show prep," it would have been next to impossible for Stern, or anyone else, to get a good signal up here. At best, it would have been like trying to pick up a soft-spoken conversation in a noisy room.

For whatever reason, that signal on 1000 has always been crappy, even when it was WCFL and one of the most profitable stations in town. As a transplant in the Northeast, I'm all for getting the Sox off there, for that reason alone. Even though 670 and 780 get stepped on in NY as well (by WFAN and WABC), it's not nearly as bad once you're out of the metro. Of course, WGN comes in loud and clear. Another Cub conspiracy!!! Alert the media!!!

TDog
06-11-2004, 01:02 PM
Back in the 1970s, I picked up WBBM as far away as Albuquerque (shortly before making a left turn toward Las Cruces). WMAQ, which was on 670, was clear in the Texas Panhandle during that trip. The most easily picked up Chicago radio station around the country, though, was WLS. It listed is night-time coverage area as North and South America, although I couldn't pick it up west of the Rockies.

bennyw41
06-11-2004, 01:32 PM
I have a close friend who does work for/on ESPN Radio, and I don't think they all think the Sox games do much for their station.

tebman
06-11-2004, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by TDog
Back in the 1970s, I picked up WBBM as far away as Albuquerque (shortly before making a left turn toward Las Cruces). WMAQ, which was on 670, was clear in the Texas Panhandle during that trip. The most easily picked up Chicago radio station around the country, though, was WLS. It listed is night-time coverage area as North and South America, although I couldn't pick it up west of the Rockies.

Chicago is lucky in that it has five old-line 50,000-watt AM stations: WSCR (ex-WMAQ), WGN, WBBM, WLS, and WMVP (ex-WCFL). At night their signals really are huge (except that WMVP is directional to the east at night because it shares the 1000kHz frequency with KOMO in Seattle).

As long as the Sox stay on one of those stations, we'll be able to hear them across multiple states. The limitiing factors are the quality of the radios and the increasing level of background electrical noise that the FCC has chosen to ignore for the last 20 years.

Enjoy the easy reception while you can. The FCC has authorized a new digital-transmission scheme for the AM and FM bands that will make the current system obsolete in a few years. Nobody in the business knows what the effect will be on long-range reception. The only thing they know for sure is that the equipment manufacturers will be selling a *New Digital Radio* that will make it all the zillions of existing radios unusable.

- tebman

na_na_na_na
06-11-2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by tebman
The only thing they know for sure is that the equipment manufacturers will be selling a *New Digital Radio* that will make it all the zillions of existing radios unusable.

- tebman [/B]

Actually the analog transmission will continue side by side with the digital signal. So you won't need to upgrade your equipment for a long time.

ChiSoxBobette
06-11-2004, 02:41 PM

I don't care who's doing that other teams show, it sould'nt be on the espn radio network if espn radio is going to continue to advertize itself as the flagship station of the White Sox, the scrubs have wgn radio I dare anyone to listen in on thier sports broadcasting and hear a show about the White Sox let alone a show that sometimes lasts a couple of hours. Plus to have that idiot moronotti get his own show on espn radio is just another slap in the face to White Sox fans, the other day on whatever the hell espn tv show the dork is on he's talking about guys who should make the all-star team and he says Konerko , this was at a time when Pauly was'nt even hitting very good as opposed to now when he's playing pretty good, hey moronotti what about Uribe , what about Buehrle , WHAT ABOUT BIG FRANK!As far as I'm concerned JR and the White Sox can't get away from espn radio fast enough.

GO WHITE SOX!

tebman
06-11-2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by na_na_na_na
Actually the analog transmission will continue side by side with the digital signal. So you won't need to upgrade your equipment for a long time.

That's true -- the digital and analog signals are side-by-side now. I hope you're right about not needing to upgrade for a long time. But with the serious adjacent-channel interference problems caused by the add-on digital signal, they might be forced to speed up the transition to full digital since the FCC has committed to the technology.

I hope I'm wrong, because I'll miss nighttime AM radio when it's gone.

- tebman

TornLabrum
06-11-2004, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by adsit
I remember them making that claim. What I didn't know then is that, around NYC at least, the skywave of AM1000 is all but obliterated by the sideband of WINS AM1010. Though I don't doubt Steve and Garry did a lot of Stern's "show prep," it would have been next to impossible for Stern, or anyone else, to get a good signal up here. At best, it would have been like trying to pick up a soft-spoken conversation in a noisy room.

For whatever reason, that signal on 1000 has always been crappy, even when it was WCFL and one of the most profitable stations in town. As a transplant in the Northeast, I'm all for getting the Sox off there, for that reason alone. Even though 670 and 780 get stepped on in NY as well (by WFAN and WABC), it's not nearly as bad once you're out of the metro. Of course, WGN comes in loud and clear. Another Cub conspiracy!!! Alert the media!!!

WGN is a former clear channel station, as are WSCR (when it was WMAQ), WGN, WLS, and I think WBBM. Even now only a few low-power local stations operate at night time on their frequencies.

On the other hand, another 50 kW station out west in Oregon or Utah or someplace operates on 1000 AM. These stations go directional at night to prevent their interfering with each other's broadcasting regions.