PDA

View Full Version : Black Sox Scandal

skottyj242
06-10-2004, 11:34 AM
I know this was brought up in another post earlier but I have a different question. I fell asleep watching "Eight Men Out" last night and me not being a scholar on the subject was wondering one thing: If they played as bad as the movie and book portrated them to, does anyone think that the Reds kind of knew? The movie shows blantant base running gaffes, Charlie Sheen dropping a ball, I mean did the Reds know the fix was on? If anyone knows anything about this it would be greatly appreciated.

vegyrex
06-10-2004, 12:37 PM
Interesting how the Reds made almost as many errors as the Sox did.
Maybe they were trying to lose that series also. :smile:

TDog
06-10-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by vegyrex
Interesting how the Reds made almost as many errors as the Sox did.
Maybe they were trying to lose that series also. :smile:

And the Reds runners that Joe Jackson threw out at the plate obviously weren't really trying to score.

TornLabrum
06-10-2004, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by skottyj242
I know this was brought up in another post earlier but I have a different question. I fell asleep watching "Eight Men Out" last night and me not being a scholar on the subject was wondering one thing: If they played as bad as the movie and book portrated them to, does anyone think that the Reds kind of knew? The movie shows blantant base running gaffes, Charlie Sheen dropping a ball, I mean did the Reds know the fix was on? If anyone knows anything about this it would be greatly appreciated.

The pitchers Cicotte and Williams pitched pretty badly and made some obvious fielding blunders. However, as far as the rest of the defense is concerned, about the only player I can think of who was mentioned as really botching some plays was Happy Felsch in centerfield.

It's hard to go by hitting when one of the worst hitting performances was by Eddie Collins, who was one of the "clean" Sox.