PDA

View Full Version : HomerBall will catch up with us soon!

joeynach
06-10-2004, 09:59 AM
I hate this home run frenzy. It gets our guys going up there trying to hit the ball out of the park everytime. It changes their swing from smooth contact swings to huge joe valentin strikeout or hit a homer swing. Guys like crede, jose, frank, paulie all go into this. They try and crush it everytime then usually wind up poping out, Jose style. Tonight its all going to come crashing down. THe score is going to be like 3 to 1 or something. The phillies pitchers will adapt and stop pitching so many fasballs and the sox hitters wont and try and hit home runs at every at bat. Except for Jose who does this everytime; strikeout, popout, or solo homer.

patbooyah
06-10-2004, 10:08 AM
i was peering over at the scorecard of the guy who sat next to me - something like half of the outs last night came from popups.

joeynach
06-10-2004, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by patbooyah
i was peering over at the scorecard of the guy who sat next to me - something like half of the outs last night came from popups.

Exactly when they go up there thinking they can hit the ball out of the park there swings get huge. Its much better when they shorten up there swings to generate bat speed and try and hit the ball up the middle or try and hit it hard into the gaps or down the lines. It will result in more wins that way, but they get greedy. Im worried they are going to lose tonight or the next night like 3 to 1 with like 4 or 5 hits.

SEALgep
06-10-2004, 10:31 AM
When the ball is flying out like the last couple nights, I don't feel it's out of the question to go for it. When it's not, we still tend to do it too much at times, but the ball is absolutely flying right now.

MRKARNO
06-10-2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by joeynach
Exactly when they go up there thinking they can hit the ball out of the park there swings get huge. Its much better when they shorten up there swings to generate bat speed and try and hit the ball up the middle or try and hit it hard into the gaps or down the lines. It will result in more wins that way, but they get greedy. Im worried they are going to lose tonight or the next night like 3 to 1 with like 4 or 5 hits.

The conditions for home runs the past two nights have been very very good and so the hitters took advantage. I think the players will be able to find out in BP how the conditions are relative to the past two days.

Dadawg_77
06-10-2004, 10:40 AM
The Sox are power hitters. You can't change the spots on the leopard so sit back, strap it down and enjoy the run. We are an Earl Weaver team.

SEALgep
06-10-2004, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
The conditions for home runs the past two nights have been very very good and so the hitters took advantage. I think the players will be able to find out in BP how the conditions are relative to the past two days. And it's not like the Phillies aren't going for the fences either, with much success from both sides.

MRKARNO
06-10-2004, 10:46 AM
I mean we've seen a few of those homers going to the other way so I dont think that they've swinging for the fences really, just swinging the bat well in general.

jabrch
06-10-2004, 10:53 AM
We lead the league in runs scored. OK - I know we won't hit HRs like we did the last two days - but for crying out loud enjoy things when they go well rather than bitch about what is going to not go well later. Are we hitting too many HRs? NO NO NO Its not like we are doing it the detriment of our batting averages. 7 of our 9 starters (include either Magglio or Gload) are hitting over .285. The same group has a minimum OBP of .369. 6 guys (including our SS) are slg over .521. Our team OPS is .834 and we have 4 guys over .890.

Its not like we are just hitting HRs and not getting hits or taking walks.

Dadawg_77
06-10-2004, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
We lead the league in runs scored. OK - I know we won't hit HRs like we did the last two days - but for crying out loud enjoy things when they go well rather than bitch about what is going to not go well later. Are we hitting too many HRs? NO NO NO Its not like we are doing it the detriment of our batting averages. 7 of our 9 starters (include either Magglio or Gload) are hitting over .285. The same group has a minimum OBP of .369. 6 guys (including our SS) are slg over .521. Our team OPS is .834 and we have 4 guys over .890.

Its not like we are just hitting HRs and not getting hits or taking walks.

But we don't play enough small ball.

pssondacubs
06-10-2004, 10:57 AM
Sox home runs didn't account for 13 Philadelphia runs. PITCHING AND BAD MANAGEMENT OF THE PITCHERS lost the game, AGAIN. I agree that base hits are what the batters should be looking for in most instances, but 10 runs should be enough to win any game.

CHISOXFAN13
06-10-2004, 10:59 AM
Only one team has hit more home runs than the White Sox. The Yankees, who are currently 37-20. Seems to be working well for them.

SEALgep
06-10-2004, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
But we don't play enough small ball. We play small ball, but you don't throw down a bunt all the time. We attempt steals and bunt the ball. You have to play small ball at the right time.

HomerCoach
06-10-2004, 11:00 AM

Exactly why we should keep Reed rather than Borchard. Reed does the little things.

jabrch
06-10-2004, 11:01 AM

enough to win games - enough to be in first place - enough to do it when we need to.

Ozzie always, from the day he was hired, said that everyone will need to be able to do the little things. And they have - when asked. The panic attacks started then with the "Ozzie is gonna make Frank bunt crap" then it was "Ozzie is going to run too much - or hit and run too much, or bunt too much". Now it is "we hit too many HRs." This team is extremely balanced with the exception being LHP (and Valentin hitting in the middle of the order instead of #2 helps)

This team can do whatever it takes to win (and it has) - from bunting to sacrificing, to hitting 6 HRs. Its funny that despite that, people want to bash the GM and the coach for every little thing.

SEALgep
06-10-2004, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by pssondacubs
Sox home runs didn't account for 13 Philadelphia runs. PITCHING AND BAD MANAGEMENT OF THE PITCHERS lost the game, AGAIN. I agree that base hits are what the batters should be looking for in most instances, but 10 runs should be enough to win any game. It was enough for the Phillies. Where does the bad management come in. To me it looked like we played like ****. Don't see how that is Ozzie's fault.

Paulwny
06-10-2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
The conditions for home runs the past two nights have been very very good and so the hitters took advantage. I think the players will be able to find out in BP how the conditions are relative to the past two days.

What was the humidity the last 2 nights?, the effect of humidity on a batted ball thread that was previously discussed.

batmanZoSo
06-10-2004, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by joeynach
I hate this home run frenzy. It gets our guys going up there trying to hit the ball out of the park everytime. It changes their swing from smooth contact swings to huge joe valentin strikeout or hit a homer swing. Guys like crede, jose, frank, paulie all go into this. They try and crush it everytime then usually wind up poping out, Jose style. Tonight its all going to come crashing down. THe score is going to be like 3 to 1 or something. The phillies pitchers will adapt and stop pitching so many fasballs and the sox hitters wont and try and hit home runs at every at bat. Except for Jose who does this everytime; strikeout, popout, or solo homer.

Why can't it come crashing down for the Phillies? What makes them able to muster 3 three runs? We've got the better pitcher going. Why can't our pitchers adapt?

South Side
06-10-2004, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
It was enough for the Phillies. Where does the bad management come in. To me it looked like we played like ****. Don't see how that is Ozzie's fault.

It might have been when Garland gave up 7 runs in the 4th and Ozzie put him back in?? I don't think we played bad last night... We scored 10 runs, that should win you a ball game.

Lip Man 1
06-10-2004, 12:35 PM
Dadawg says: "We are an Earl Weaver team."

Without of course the Earl Weaver Championships, without the Earl Weaver twenty game winners (four in 1971) and without the Earl Weaver Hall of Famers like Brooks Robinson, Frank Robinson, and Jim Palmer.

Outside of that, the comparisons are striking.

Lip

Dadawg_77
06-10-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by South Side
It might have been when Garland gave up 7 runs in the 4th and Ozzie put him back in?? I don't think we played bad last night... We scored 10 runs, that should win you a ball game.

What

Dadawg_77
06-10-2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Dadawg says: "We are an Earl Weaver team."

Without of course the Earl Weaver Championships, without the Earl Weaver twenty game winners (four in 1971) and without the Earl Weaver Hall of Famers like Brooks Robinson, Frank Robinson, and Jim Palmer.

Outside of that, the comparisons are striking.

Lip

I meant a Earl Weaver team in the fact of how the Sox Offense is driven. Yeah, the Sox don't have the pitching part, nor the great fielding part, but offensively the Sox are driven the same way those O's teams were.

mdep524
06-10-2004, 12:39 PM
I think the homer-ball is a legitimate concern. For example Olivo stood on thrid base with NOBODY out in the 3rd inning last night and did not score. That swung the momentum of the game.

Still, when the ball is flying out of the park crazy-style like it did last night, the Sox are at an advantage, not a disadvantage. Let's see what happens when they play in Florida next week, a huge park which favors pitchers and has few homeruns. Hopefully the Sox won't meltdown on O.

As a side note, Willie Harris is really doing a great job at the plate- hitting, taking pitches, working counts. But one question, when was the last time he stole a base? That was supposed to be his biggest strength, I wonder why he's not running at all. :?: