PDA

View Full Version : Mental errors in Wed. night's game

soxtalker
06-10-2004, 09:21 AM
I was at the game last night, and I think that I noticed at least three mental errors. One, which has been mentioned in the papers (though not emphasized) was the failure of Uribe to throw to the plate during the run down that ended the Phili big inning. Then, I believe it was Carlos Lee forgetting that there were two outs a couple of times. I forget the innings, but once he hesitated between second and third on a little fly ball that dropped into center. He scored, but it was much closer than it needed to be. Then, he caught a fly ball in left to end an inning, but came up throwing as if it wasn't the third out.

The Uribe mental error cost us a run, though it obviously didn't cost us the game. The two situations involving Lee didn't cost us anything. But I was a bit disappointed.

Hangar18
06-10-2004, 10:41 AM
a score reporter alluded to something like this ......... but since
he was only on for 15 minutes, he wasnt able to talk at length.
What else Happened? man, glad I dont listen to the Score to
Get my SOX/Sports news

Dadawg_77
06-10-2004, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by soxtalker
I was at the game last night, and I think that I noticed at least three mental errors. One, which has been mentioned in the papers (though not emphasized) was the failure of Uribe to throw to the plate during the run down that ended the Phili big inning. Then, I believe it was Carlos Lee forgetting that there were two outs a couple of times. I forget the innings, but once he hesitated between second and third on a little fly ball that dropped into center. He scored, but it was much closer than it needed to be. Then, he caught a fly ball in left to end an inning, but came up throwing as if it wasn't the third out.

The Uribe mental error cost us a run, though it obviously didn't cost us the game. The two situations involving Lee didn't cost us anything. But I was a bit disappointed.

The running play may not have been Lee forgetting two out, but looking to see if he should keep running. Catching the ball and throwing it hard isn't damning as you rather have it that way then not thinking it was the third out on the second out.

The run down was horrible play. With two outs you force the runner back to first and keep the runner at third, getting the guy out at first in a run down isn't the most pressing thing.

Brian26
06-10-2004, 11:03 AM
Just to defend Carlos a little bit, although there is NO defense since he's in the game...

The scoreboard said 1 out. So, when I saw the flyout, I thought that was the 2nd out too, and I wasn't surprised when he came up throwing.

I know that's not an excuse for Carlos. It's one thing to be sitting in the stands not paying 100% attention, it's another thing to be IN THE GAME and not know. I think that might be the reason, though, why he thought there was only 1 out.