PDA

View Full Version : Koch relegated to mop-up duty?

StillMissOzzie
06-10-2004, 01:06 AM
I told my wife that the only reason Koch pitched tonight, especially in front of the ever-loving home fans, is because there was a run differential of 5. I was partially wrong. When he came into the game, the Sox were only down by 4, but of course, he allowed both runners he inherited to score.

I think Koch is pitching himself out of ANY useful work.

SMO
:angry:

SSN721
06-10-2004, 06:41 AM
Not to defend Koch, but it didnt look like anyone except Takatsu and Cotts were getting people out over the last two days. The pitching has been horrendous from about everyone. So if you will single him out, you have to put blame on everyone else in the pen who all seemed to give up at least 2 or 3 runs each.

samram
06-10-2004, 07:14 AM
I don't think it was just a coincidence that he was in there when the Sox were down by four. He can't be trusted in a game closer than that, and now he probably can't be trusted even when down four. Maybe if the Sox are down 10 or 12, we'll see. :D:

jackbrohamer
06-10-2004, 08:18 AM
He was again the difference in the game (obviously not the only difference), he let 2 inherited runners score and one of his own in 2/3 of an inning, which was the Phils' margin of victory. Lots of players deserve more blame probably, but the Sox have paid a pretty big price trying to restore Koch's confidence.

DaveIsHere
06-10-2004, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by jackbrohamer
He was again the difference in the game (obviously not the only difference), he let 2 inherited runners score and one of his own in 2/3 of an inning, which was the Phils' margin of victory. Lots of players deserve more blame probably, but the Sox have paid a pretty big price trying to restore Koch's confidence.

I fell asleep before it was over last night and had a feeling that the Sox would come back, I heard they lost 13-10 and go figure those 3 runs were given up by BOTCH, we should be going for a sweep tonight :angry:

Baby Fisk
06-10-2004, 08:22 AM
Coming to a ballpark near you:

"Billy Koch: The Long Goodbye..."

thepaulbowski
06-10-2004, 08:55 AM
If he could use the curveball he had last night effectively and spot his fastball, he could become pretty effective again. The key word being if.......

Procol Harum
06-10-2004, 08:57 AM
The only mop-up duty Koch is suited for at this point is in the Cell's housekeeping department....

LongLiveFisk
06-10-2004, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by jackbrohamer
Lots of players deserve more blame probably, but the Sox have paid a pretty big price trying to restore Koch's confidence.

My sentiments exactly...

thank you :cool:

Frater Perdurabo
06-10-2004, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by SSN721
Not to defend Koch, but it didnt look like anyone except Takatsu and Cotts were getting people out over the last two days. The pitching has been horrendous from about everyone. So if you will single him out, you have to put blame on everyone else in the pen who all seemed to give up at least 2 or 3 runs each.

Fair enough, but the rest of the pitching seemed to be very good on in Oakland and Seattle. Koch is personally responsible for the 1-4 mark on the trip. Without Koch, the Sox would have gone 3-2 on the trip and still be alone in first place.

The Sox also probably would have won the division last year had they not traded for Foulke for Koch. I hold Koch personally responsible, with K-Dub sharing responsiblity for making the trade, and Jerry Manuel sharing responsiblity for wheeling him out to pitch during the first half of last season.

A friend e-mailed me and wrote that whenever he and his wife find married life difficult, their mutual hatred for Koch brings them together.

I really like Ozzie Guillen, but if he sticks with Koch I'm going to be very, very angry. :angry:

Dadawg_77
06-10-2004, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo

A friend e-mailed me and wrote that whenever he and his wife find married life difficult, their mutual hatred for Koch brings them together.

Well it is nice to know that Billy brings more then a bat and a ball together.

Fungo
06-10-2004, 09:49 AM
He did shave that strip off his chin though.

SSN721
06-10-2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
Fair enough, but the rest of the pitching seemed to be very good on in Oakland and Seattle. Koch is personally responsible for the 1-4 mark on the trip. Without Koch, the Sox would have gone 3-2 on the trip and still be alone in first place.

The Sox also probably would have won the division last year had they not traded for Foulke for Koch. I hold Koch personally responsible, with K-Dub sharing responsiblity for making the trade, and Jerry Manuel sharing responsiblity for wheeling him out to pitch during the first half of last season.

I really like Ozzie Guillen, but if he sticks with Koch I'm going to be very, very angry. :angry:

Like I said, I am not trying to defend him. I wish he was off the staff as much as anybody here. He is a terrible pitcher. I just think that it is too selective for people to pick out his performance last night and say that was the real reason we lost. It was an awful start that put up the majority of the runs, I blame Garland more then anything, lack of hits in some scoring opportunities, thats all I was saying. I think it was a bad trade of course, but I understand the merits of it and I think having Foulke last year would not have guaranteed the division either. I think last years team had more problems then the lack of a decent closer. Not to start another argument that is just my opinion.

SoxxoS
06-10-2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski
If he could use the curveball he had last night effectively and spot his fastball, he could become pretty effective again. The key word being if.......

And if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.

Tekijawa
06-10-2004, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Fungo
He did shave that strip off his chin though.

No, I think he just gave it to Aaron Rowand.

SOXintheBURGH
06-10-2004, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77

Well it is nice to know that Billy brings more then a bat and a ball together.

SNAP!