PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING NEWS: fan stabbed downtown after Cubs game


Viva Magglio
06-09-2004, 10:10 PM
NBC 5 just reported that a fan leaving the ballgame at USCF was stabbed at a Blue Line CTA platform (Washington, I believe). The suspect is a homeless person, and the suspect has been apprehended according to Amy Jacobson. The victim is reported to be in critical condition at Northwestern Memorial Hospital.

eurotrash35
06-09-2004, 10:14 PM
what were they doing leaving the game early?

Viva Magglio
06-09-2004, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by eurotrash35
what were they doing leaving the game early?

Oh, maybe the fact that we were too sucky might have something to do with it.

HomeFish
06-09-2004, 10:25 PM
I semi-regularly take that route, among others, home from games and actually feel safer in the Blue Line stops than I do on the Red and Elevated stops.

But I guess feeling and fact are two different things.

GoSox2K3
06-09-2004, 10:28 PM
That's terrible news. I hope the guy is able to pull through. In the past, I've been leary of taking the el to the loop after Sox night games and then having to walk to Union Station because of all the creeps that hang out down there after hours.

It wouldn't surprise me to see the local media stoop low again and turn this tragedy into another round of Sox bashing. But this has nothing to do with Sox Park safety, that station would have been just as unsafe for someone coming back from a Cubs game or any other evening city outing.

Palehose13
06-09-2004, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by GoSox2K3
It wouldn't surprise me to see the local media stoop low again and turn this tragedy into another round of Sox bashing. But this has nothing to do with Sox Park safety, that station would have been just as unsafe for someone coming back from a Cubs game or any other evening city outing.

Good point. It will be interesting to see how the coverage of the two incidents this year compare.

My thoughts to the victim and his family.

HomeFish
06-09-2004, 10:33 PM
What I hope comes out of this is a call for increased security at those stops. Unfortunately, given that they already identified this incident with the White Sox, it looks like they will be taking the easy way.

owensmouth
06-09-2004, 10:37 PM
Probably will be the front page of the Cubune

HomeFish
06-09-2004, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by owensmouth
Probably will be the front page of the Cubune

Ah yes. The half-page photo of the imposing outline of a knife-wielding madman superimposed on a picture of USCF. I can see it now.

valposoxfan
06-09-2004, 10:40 PM
If it is the front page of the Tribune I hope that there is an absolute firestorm of controversy. What happened at Wrigley directly involved the game and a fans behavior. This had nothing to do with a fan being unruly and stupid. This is just a psycho trying to hurt someone.

cheeses_h_rice
06-09-2004, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Viva Magglio
NBC 5 just reported that a fan leaving the ballgame at USCF was stabbed at a Blue Line CTA platform (Washington, I believe). The suspect is a homeless person, and the suspect has been apprehended according to Amy Jacobson. The victim is reported to be in critical condition at Northwestern Memorial Hospital.

Wow. That's where, until this past week, I caught the Blue Line home after work every day. I sincerely hope this is an isolated incident.

StockdaleForVeep
06-09-2004, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by valposoxfan
If it is the front page of the Tribune I hope that there is an absolute firestorm of controversy. What happened at Wrigley directly involved the game and a fans behavior. This had nothing to do with a fan being unruly and stupid. This is just a psycho trying to hurt someone.



despite the tragedy, i think they will run prior being shelled as a more horrific travesty.

Brian26
06-10-2004, 12:07 AM
Wow. I took the Green Line from Ogilve to the 35th Bronzeville stop after work, and then I took the Red Line home and got off at Grand. There are usually a ton of Sox fans on the Red Line, so I usually don't feel unsafe if I leave right after the game. Still, crap like this is scary. By the way- the Green Line ride to Bronzeville was ok, but there were a couple of crazy dudes on the train. Only two other guys got off the train that were going to the Sox game. Not sure if I really saved anytime taking the Green Line either. I think it might have almost been as quick for me to just walk briskly over to the Red Line and hop on at State.

mantis1212
06-10-2004, 12:24 AM
I fail to see how this has anything to do with U.S. Cellular Field and/or the white sox. That stop is in the Loop, nowhere near the park.

If the media is stressing the fact that this person was coming from a white sox game, that is re-god-damn-diculous.

Very sad that someone has been stabbed, but ka-ka happens in a big city. I doubt this even makes the Metro section

StockdaleForVeep
06-10-2004, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
Wow. I took the Green Line from Ogilve to the 35th Bronzeville stop after work, and then I took the Red Line home and got off at Grand. There are usually a ton of Sox fans on the Red Line, so I usually don't feel unsafe if I leave right after the game. Still, crap like this is scary. By the way- the Green Line ride to Bronzeville was ok, but there were a couple of crazy dudes on the train. Only two other guys got off the train that were going to the Sox game. Not sure if I really saved anytime taking the Green Line either. I think it might have almost been as quick for me to just walk briskly over to the Red Line and hop on at State.

This is an isolated incident and it will be blown out of proporitons and people goin "i dont feel safe anymore" etc etc

Jerko
06-10-2004, 12:46 AM
Didn't someone get shot at the Lawrence stop on the Red line Tuesday?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chicago/chi-0406090050jun09,1,5408385.story[/URL]

I am not saying it's the Cubs' fault, but the Blue line thing is not a Sox problem either then. I don't want ANYONE assaulted on the CTA, but I think Lawrence is closer to the Urinal than Washington is to the Cell.

inta
06-10-2004, 03:40 AM
I feel for whoever got stabbed...
but this has nothing to do with the sox. that stop is in the loop late at night.
it could've been a NASCAR fan coming in from alabama for all that matters.

I've taken that route plenty of times late at night when i went to school downtown for night classes. never a problem aside from homeless people.

this incident has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE SOX.

voodoochile
06-10-2004, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by Jerko
Didn't someone get shot at the Lawrence stop on the Red line Tuesday?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chicago/chi-0406090050jun09,1,5408385.story[/URL]

I am not saying it's the Cubs' fault, but the Blue line thing is not a Sox problem either then. I don't want ANYONE assaulted on the CTA, but I think Lawrence is closer to the Urinal than Washington is to the Cell.

By about 3 miles...

SSN721
06-10-2004, 06:39 AM
Is that how they framed this story? NBC actually reported it as White Sox fan stabbed on Blue Line? I dont see how its relevant, but I wouldnt be suprised if someone was stabbed at the Belmont stop coming back from a Cubs game they might say the same thing if the person was dressed up in Cubs regalia. How the Tribune reports it will be interesting to see though. My sympathies go out to this person and his family for this terribel incident.

hsnterprize
06-10-2004, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by owensmouth
Probably will be the front page of the Cubune Then they'd better get the story right...because NBC 5 didn't. The man was coming from a CUBS game, and not U.S. Cellular Field.

The unidentified man was treated and released from Northwestern Memorial Hospital. He was approached by a homeless man asking for money at the blue line stop near Randolph and Dearborn. The rider said no, and an argument ensued. The attacked then pulled out a knife, stabbed the victim, and got away.

Fortunately, the victim was treated and released from the hospital with superficial wounds to the neck and face. Police also say they know who the suspect is.

Now...this obviously doesn't have anything to do with the Cubs, so don't spin this into a "bad Cubs fans" story. A guy coming home from a game shouldn't have to worry about being attacked when waiting for a train...no matter what side of town he/she leans towards.

HomerCoach
06-10-2004, 07:09 AM
Can legal action be taken by the Sox as to how this story is presented as being White Sox and USCF related, when it is actually not? Even if it's just to send a message that enough is enough.
:giantsnail

thepaulbowski
06-10-2004, 07:13 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-0406100220jun10,1,1724349.story?coll=chi-news-hed

Palehose13
06-10-2004, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-0406100220jun10,1,1724349.story?coll=chi-news-hed

I guess that ends all of our speculation.

GoSox2K3
06-10-2004, 08:45 AM
Even that doesn't sound right because the Flubs played an afternoon game yesterday. I'm guessing the game ended around 5:00.

Jerko
06-10-2004, 08:58 AM
Lost in my zeal to defend the White Sox, I didn't even bother to realize that that Blue Line stop where this happened is in the damn tunnels of the building I work in! What a brazen ass, that place is packed all the time. We're gonna need train wardens soon at this pace.

Palehose13
06-10-2004, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by GoSox2K3
Even that doesn't sound right because the Flubs played an afternoon game yesterday. I'm guessing the game ended around 5:00.

I'm guessing he stayed to drink away his sorrows...

woodenleg
06-10-2004, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by mantis1212
I fail to see how this has anything to do with U.S. Cellular Field and/or the white sox. That stop is in the Loop, nowhere near the park.

If the media is stressing the fact that this person was coming from a white sox game, that is re-god-damn-diculous.

I doubt this even makes the Metro section

This person must have been a gang member looking for trouble.

I hope he / she makes a full recovery.

ewokpelts
06-10-2004, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by GoSox2K3
That's terrible news. I hope the guy is able to pull through. In the past, I've been leary of taking the el to the loop after Sox night games and then having to walk to Union Station because of all the creeps that hang out down there after hours.

It wouldn't surprise me to see the local media stoop low again and turn this tragedy into another round of Sox bashing. But this has nothing to do with Sox Park safety, that station would have been just as unsafe for someone coming back from a Cubs game or any other evening city outing.

take a madison or adams bus from the red line. I work in the west loop(by northwestern station), and the hood aint that bad
Gene

maurice
06-10-2004, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Viva Magglio
NBC 5 just reported that a fan leaving the ballgame at USCF was stabbed

Wow. They really claimed that he was on his way home from a 7pm Sox game, even thought the incident occurred miles from the park around 8pm?!?

This is really getting out of hand. It's like they just automatically add the words "Sox fan" to articles now without requiring any confirmation, relevance, or even a common sense look at the facts.

NBC5 (http://www.nbc5.com/news/3402440/detail.html?z=dp&dpswid=2265994&dppid=65192) changes their tune without acknowledging the error.

Brian26
06-10-2004, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
take a madison or adams bus from the red line. I work in the west loop(by northwestern station), and the hood aint that bad
Gene

It's actually very good. I feel much safer over by the train stations than I do on State and Randolph at night.

woodenleg
06-10-2004, 05:08 PM
'Tornado rips through trailer park ; 5 Sox fans dead'

duke of dorwood
06-14-2004, 10:48 PM
What I hope comes out of this is a call for increased security at those stops. Unfortunately, given that they already identified this incident with the White Sox, it looks like they will be taking the easy way.
Being downtown every day-something has to be done about these clowns standing everywhere with cups asking for $.

Some are getting aggressive and this incident doesnt surprise me.