PDA

View Full Version : Quote Of The Day 6/9

Lip Man 1
06-09-2004, 01:21 PM
Ozzie Guillen to Joe Cowley The Daily Southtown:

"I think the fifth starter's killing us. We can find a pitcher, but that's not the one we want. I told Kenny, 'If you're going to bring in a guy, bring in a guy that can be playing in October. Don't bring in a guy just for a couple games.' "

Lip

Hangar18
06-09-2004, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

"I think the fifth starter's killing us. We can find a pitcher, but that's not the one we want. I told Kenny, 'If you're going to bring in a guy, bring in a guy that can be playing in October. Don't bring in a guy just for a couple games.' "

Lip

Team desperately needs 5th Starter .............

Steinbrenner: Long Term Guy to Play in October
Reinsdorf: Short Term Guy to Play a Few Games

Hangar18
06-09-2004, 02:01 PM
Team needs Pitching ...........

Steinbrenner: Actively Pursues Players in OffSeason
Reinsdorf: Passively Waits til MidSeason before acknowledging need

Hangar18
06-09-2004, 02:06 PM
On Marketing ..........

Steinbrenner: Realizes 2 team market, Aggressively "outdoes" other competitor
Reinsdorf: Foolishly Ignores other competitor, Allows itself to be
"outdone" in market

jabrch
06-09-2004, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Lip

Every day I manage to find another reason to like Ozzie.

Hangar18
06-09-2004, 02:10 PM
On pending Free-Agents on his team......

Reinsdorf: Refuses to spend to Keep Players, inevitably and Ironically SPENDING MORE LATER to Re-Acquire same type players

Steinbrenner: Spends money on Players let go by Reinsdorfian type owners, and winning Championships

Iwritecode
06-09-2004, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18

Reinsdorf: Refuses to spend to Keep Players, inevitably and Ironically SPENDING MORE LATER to Re-Acquire same type players

Steinbrenner: Spends money on Players let go by Reinsdorfian type owners, and winning Championships

Really, as much as I complained about KW not keeping our big FA signings from last year, I look back at it now and don't think he really did that bad of a job.

There's no way Everett would have been worth the money (7 million?) the Sox would have had to pay him to bring him back.

Willie has a lot of people saying Robbie who?

Colon, while doing a little bit better than our rotating batch of 5th starters, is sporting a 4-4 record with a 6.00 ERA. Plus, had KW spent the money to keep him, would Scott S. have been giving the same chance to thrive in the starting rotation? Would we even be discussing the possiblity of re-signing Maggs? It seems like so far, Anaheim over-paid for him.

As long as KW can swing a deal for a solid 1-3 starter (that can help to take us deep into the playoffs) without giving up too much I'll forget all about those 3 guys...

jabrch
06-09-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18

Hangar -
Should we have spent the money on Colon? HE WAS A BUST and we all knew he wasn't worth the ridiculous money that Moreno paid him

Should we have signed Ponson? Looks like a bust also.

It seems to me like you really take this anti-JR thing a bit too far. I can't stand him either - there are a lot of things he has done that ruined this teams chances. But I can't blame him for this offseason. Lets see what he lets KW do at the trade deadline. Geez - with all you bash this team, while in first place, I can't imagine what a miserable person you'd be if we were in 4th. (nothing personal - it just seems like you are a bit over the top on this JR thing.)

TaylorStSox
06-09-2004, 02:33 PM
Anybody notice that Hangar is probably the only person that posts in Lip's threads?

The truth is out there.

DaveIsHere
06-09-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by TaylorStSox
Anybody notice that Hangar is probably the only person that posts in Lip's threads?

The truth is out there.

Sad but true

bigdommer
06-09-2004, 04:20 PM
Anyone happen to read the SI article about Ozzie??? It's in the back baseball section. Great article talking about Ozzie influence on the Latin (Uribe), rooks (Harris), and Vets (Thomas and the pitching staff). Coop has a quote about the improvement of Ozzie over JM.