PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Tonight Extra on Sox Game

Philo-Sox-er
06-09-2004, 02:00 PM
Here is what ESPN's Baseball Tonight Extra had to say about the Sox-Phillies game last night:

The Daily Rundown
There was plenty of great pitching by Pedro Martinez, Roger Clemens, Ben Sheets and Kelvim Escobar, but the most unusual game on Tuesday was the 14-11 White Sox win over the Phillies.

The White Sox tallied six first-inning runs against Ryan Madson, who entered his first big-league start with a 1.07 ERA in 33 2/3 innings of relief. It looked like the major-league record for home runs in a game was in jeopardy through the first five innings, but things settled down after that, at least a little bit.

Notable accomplishments by the White Sox on Tuesday:

Came within one home run of the club record for home runs in a game (April 23, 1955 vs. Kansas City).

Tied the team record for most home runs in a game at their home ballpark with six.

Frank Thomas breaks Luke Appling's club record of 440 career doubles.

Carlos Lee extends his hit streak to 23 games, and hits his first home run since April 27.

Put it on the board!

SOXintheBURGH
06-09-2004, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Philo-Sox-er
Here is what ESPN's Baseball Tonight Extra had to say about the Sox-Phillies game last night:

Put it on the board!

I thought Gammons and friends didn't like us?

Who wants to start the countdown for Carlos to break DiMaggio's record?

HomerCoach
06-09-2004, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by SOXintheBURGH
I thought Gammons and friends didn't like us?

Who wants to start the countdown for Carlos to break DiMaggio's record?

Gammons likes a winner.
Don't start a DiMaggio thread, as soon as you do the streak will end.

MRKARNO
06-09-2004, 02:38 PM
Forget Dimaggio, Lee hasnt even gotten to Castillo and Pujols territory (30ish games).

I am on record as saying that the day after lee gets his first home run during the streak that it will end so I think the streak will end tonight.

Dadawg_77
06-09-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Forget Dimaggio, Lee hasnt even gotten to Castillo and Pujols territory (30ish games).

I am on record as saying that the day after lee gets his first home run during the streak that it will end so I think the streak will end tonight.

What about a Dommnick Dimaggio, anyone know what his longest hit streak was?

SOXintheBURGH
06-09-2004, 02:46 PM
Yeah sorry.. forget about teal a lot... he isnt even half way there.

TommyJohn
06-09-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
What about a Dommnick Dimaggio, anyone know what his longest hit streak was?

34 games. So we can say "Lee needs 11 more games to catch
DiMaggio!" We wouldn't be lying.

BeerHandle
06-09-2004, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Philo-Sox-er

Put it on the board!

It is about time that the Sox get a little more coverage.

DSpivack
06-09-2004, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by BeerHandle
It is about time that the Sox get a little more coverage.

Is it just me or are the Sox getting a LOT of coverage in the national media lately?

Whitesox029
06-09-2004, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by SOXintheBURGH
Yeah sorry.. forget about teal a lot... he isnt even half way there.
Although he is now officially more than halfway to the previous record, which was Willie Keeler in 1897 with a 44-game streak.

MRKARNO
06-09-2004, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Whitesox029
Although he is now officially more than halfway to the previous record, which was Willie Keeler in 1897 with a 44-game streak.

Which Pete Rose tied.

nitetrain8601
06-09-2004, 07:23 PM
Didn't Luis Castillo have a 41 game hitting streak until it was broken because the Marlins won a game in the bottom of the 9th with him on the on deck circle.