PDA

View Full Version : Brooks re: commercial & Hawk

Palehose13
06-09-2004, 01:59 PM
I wrote Brooks Boyer an e-mail last night commending him for the new commercial and sending along ideas from the "Hawkisms catching on?" thread (with a link). You guys had really great uses of Hawkisms and I thought it would be cool to have a series of Hawkisms used in everyday life (like the NFL "It must be football season" commercials). I just think that the Sox need to market Hawk more. This is the reply I got. Not sure if it is cookie cutter or not, but it was cool to get a response so quickly!

Valerie,

Thanks for the kind words for your support of the Sox.

Since coming here, I have realized that the Sox have a very unique position in this market. We are simply trying to celebrate that positioning and part of it is providing a unique fan experience at every game. Hopefully this ad helps instill a sense of pride in our fans and tells them it is cool to be a Sox fan. The Sox bandwagon is more than welcoming.

I like your idea about using Hawk and I plan to do so next year when we break our new campaign. Unfortunately, most of the production budget was spent prior to my arrival so it has to wait. Thanks for sending some ideas along.

All the best,

Brooks

Baby Fisk
06-09-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Palehose13
Valerie,

Since coming here, I have realized that the Sox have a very unique position in this market. We are simply trying to celebrate that positioning and part of it is providing a unique fan experience at every game. Hopefully this ad helps instill a sense of pride in our fans and tells them it is cool to be a Sox fan. The Sox bandwagon is more than welcoming.

I like your idea about using Hawk and I plan to do so next year when we break our new campaign. Unfortunately, most of the production budget was spent prior to my arrival so it has to wait. Thanks for sending some ideas along.

All the best,

Brooks

You mean you didn't use your WSI handle? These should be used at all times, like some secret masonic identifiers that only we can recognize. :cool:

BTW, sounds like more than a cookie cutter reply. Nice work!

SEALgep
06-09-2004, 02:05 PM
That's a good idea Palehose13. Hopefully Brooks does implement it next year. So far so good with this year though.

eurotrash35
06-09-2004, 02:05 PM
Doesn't sound cookie cutter at all. Good job! :)

fledgedrallycap
06-09-2004, 02:06 PM
It's somewhat of a cookie cutter, because I sent one as well and recieved the same basic message in return; but he did add a paragraph of real thought.

All I know is a little effort to return an e-mail goes an aweful long way.

Dadawg_77
06-09-2004, 02:09 PM
The first part is cookie cutter the second part seems to change once in awhile.

Palehose13
06-09-2004, 02:09 PM
Thanks guys, but I can only take credit for sending it to Brooks. Most of the replies on that Hawkisms thread deserve the credit. In my e-mail I quoted them and sent the link for the thread.

After reading that thread, I envisioned a series of commercials based on that thread (I especially like the grocery store scenario). I think they would be funny and might appeal to the "middle of the road" fan and get them to watch games...then may be come to the ball park.

Uh...yeah...it's Valerie, but you can call be Val...or ph13. :D:

delben91
06-09-2004, 02:11 PM

Uh...yeah...it's Valerie, but you can call be Val...or ph13. :D:

ph13...it's just so much more...mysterious I guess :D:

SEALgep
06-09-2004, 02:12 PM
How about a Yoga setting, and having Hawk come out of the blue and yell STRETCH! Lol. :D:

Or a kid getting in trouble at school, teacher puts his name on the board, kids goes "You can put it on the board yes!"

Must be White Sox Season.

Cheesey, but they could do something cool. Kind of like the NFL season commercials Palehose13 suggested. I like the idea.

Palehose13
06-09-2004, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Cheesey, but they could do something cool. Kind of like the NFL season commercials Palehose13 suggested. I like the idea.

I looove it when you get cheesey.

**edit: I just remember sitting in the bar for Bear games and when those NFL commercials came on, most people just stopped what they were doing to watch and get a laugh even though they had seen it a hundred times before. Copying, kind of...but what hasn't been rehashed? ;)

Rocky Soprano
06-09-2004, 02:20 PM
How about a Yoga setting, and having Hawk come out of the blue and yell STRETCH! Lol. :D:

Or a kid getting in trouble at school, teacher puts his name on the board, kids goes "You can put it on the board yes!"

LOL, love the ideas.

My little brother did your second suggestion. During class his teacher told a classmate, if you know the answer, "You cant put it on the board." My brother then finished it by yelling: YES!

His teacher started to laugh cause he know exactly why my brother said YES.

Palehose13
06-09-2004, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Rocky Soprano
LOL, love the ideas.

My little brother did your second suggestion. During class his teacher told a classmate, if you know the answer, "You cant put it on the board." My brother then finished it by yelling: YES!

His teacher started to laugh cause he know exactly why my brother said YES.

I'm starting to do things like that in my classroom. Like if a kid is close to the answer but not quite there "He just missed it". Unfortunately, I'm in Milwaukee so my kids have no clue (unless they sometimes watch on WGN) :?:

Baby Fisk
06-09-2004, 02:24 PM
Scene: an execution chamber. Prisoner in orange jumpsuit led to an electric chair by sombre looking guards. Priest is standing nearby. Priest suddenly blurts out:

"SIT BACK, RELAX AND STRAP IT DOWN!"

Everyone looks at him in horror. He looks embarrassed.

Narrator: "Must be White Sox season."

Palehose13
06-09-2004, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
Scene: an execution chamber. Prisoner in orange jumpsuit led to an electric chair by sombre looking guards. Priest is standing nearby. Priest suddenly blurts out:

I really did LOL at that one.

Jerko
06-09-2004, 02:26 PM
I fell asleep in class once, so instead of gettin hit in the head with a well-thrown eraser, I guess Hawk yelling GET UP in my ear would have sufficed.

mantis1212
06-09-2004, 02:28 PM

LOL These are great ideas!

Irishsox1
06-09-2004, 02:29 PM
As for ideas next year, how about the "Pick to Click" involve regular fans at home? They have it that D.J. or Hawk and a fan choosen at random (who sends in there name, age and address) pick a player. If a fan gets choosen, then they automatically win 2 tickets to a future game. DJ or Hawk would pick a player and if that player is the pick to click at the end of the game, then the lucky fan wins some prizes, like Billy Koch's glove. I think its a neat way for fans to win at home.

SEALgep
06-09-2004, 02:30 PM

Narrator: "Must be White Sox season." Then the electricity flutters and comes back. Preist, "He Gone!" :D:

Rocky Soprano
06-09-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Irishsox1
As for ideas next year, how about the "Pick to Click" involve regular fans at home? They have it that D.J. or Hawk and a fan choosen at random (who sends in there name, age and address) pick a player. If a fan gets choosen, then they automatically win 2 tickets to a future game. DJ or Hawk would pick a player and if that player is the pick to click at the end of the game, then the lucky fan wins some prizes, like Billy Koch's glove. I think its a neat way for fans to win at home.

AWESOME IDEA!

They should also run some kind of year long contest. You can submit your pick-to-click and whichever fan has the most points at the end of the year...gets season tickets for the next year.

HomerCoach
06-09-2004, 02:32 PM
Then the electricity flutters and comes back. Preist, "He Gone!" :D:

You guys are almost as bad as my Raider buddies! Not quite.

Rocky Soprano
06-09-2004, 02:33 PM

Seems like it could be used for a condom commercial.

Jerko
06-09-2004, 02:34 PM

Unless you're TOO relaxed................

Palehose13
06-09-2004, 02:34 PM

Mercy!

HomeFish
06-09-2004, 02:36 PM
then the lucky fan wins some prizes, like Billy Koch's glove.

To blow up, of course.

rahulsekhar
06-09-2004, 02:36 PM

I literally fell out of my chair laughing. Honestly, I'm typing this as I get back up, thankful that I have an office where no one saw that.

HomerCoach
06-09-2004, 02:37 PM
It takes a lot to make me LOL, but I am now! :) UNBELIEVABLE!

SEALgep
06-09-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by rahulsekhar
I literally fell out of my chair laughing. Honestly, I'm typing this as I get back up, thankful that I have an office where no one saw that. Lol, maybe the Sox should hire all of us to work with Brooks. I could do this as my job, this is fun. :D:

mdep524
06-09-2004, 02:40 PM

That is hilarious!! :)

mantis1212
06-09-2004, 02:43 PM

*****!!!!!

Jerko
06-09-2004, 02:44 PM
These are all funny, but don't you miss that dumb little twit singing O E O and JOSE JOSE JOSE JOSE, from last year?

Baby Fisk
06-09-2004, 02:45 PM
Lol, maybe the Sox should hire all of us to work with Brooks. I could do this as my job, this is fun. :D:
Some of us may have just found our true calling. :cool:

jabrch
06-09-2004, 02:47 PM
I'll offer Brooks my softball team as extras to reduce his costs. We can do it at the field that the Sox sponsored in Skinner Park. I'll be hitting (wearing a Sox softball jersey). The shot can be a fade shot - rotating between me and PK. PK swings - I swing...the ball goes toward the wall @ USCF and fades into my 12inch ball going over the OFs head. PK starts to take off - Hawk gives it the ole "strech....stretch...." and it fades back to my ball carrying out of the park and me in my HR trot...

and the tag line -

White Sox Pride - Always a Home Run

I got it Brooks - PM me if you are interested! :-)

bobj4400
06-09-2004, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
These are all funny, but don't you miss that dumb little twit singing O E O and JOSE JOSE JOSE JOSE, from last year?

Or Manuel saying: "Twins, A's, Yankees, you better bring your A game cause we're gonna come ready to play."

That was a horrible campaign. Although my friends and I still refer to the teams in that commercial with a Manuel voice.

PINWHEELS
06-09-2004, 02:54 PM

Cheesey, but they could do something cool. Kind of like the NFL season commercials Palehose13 suggested. I like the idea. Instead Of the Electric Chair How About the Gas Chamber? GAS HE GAWN!

Palehose13
06-09-2004, 02:59 PM
I wonder how much time we are wasting at work helping Brooks out. :o:

I was thinking instead of "Must be White Sox Season" (sounds too much like the NFL commercial) how about
White Sox baseball: Live it.

Unless he is planning on getting rid of the "White Sox baseball: ..." promo.

SEALgep
06-09-2004, 03:01 PM
This might be a long shot, but how about this.

Mother picks up little Johnny from school in her mini van. Everything is fine, she smiles at Johnny and has her left turn signal blinking. All of a sudden the light turns yellow, and Johnny says, "Look mom!" Joey Cora is at the corner waving her in, (stunt driver takes the corner all crazy but in control). Makes the turn successfully. Mom smirks like it's no big deal and Johnny has a look of like *** just happened. :D:

EDIT- White Sox Baseball, Live it, how's that PH13

Jerko
06-09-2004, 03:02 PM
I wonder how much time we are wasting at work helping Brooks out

You're right. I better bow my neck and hunker down when my boss gets back

Rocky Soprano
06-09-2004, 03:02 PM
They should use REAL SOX fans for these type of commercials. I'm willing to donate my time and services for free as I'm sure most Sox fan would be.

jabrch
06-09-2004, 03:05 PM

Mother picks up little Johnny from school in her mini van. Everything is fine, she smiles at Johnny and has her left turn signal blinking. All of a sudden the light turns yellow, and Johnny says, "Look mom!" Joey Cora is at the corner waving her in, (stunt driver takes the corner all crazy but in control). Makes the turn successfully. Mom smirks like it's no big deal and Johnny has a look of like *** just happened. :D:

i like it Seal - I like it

I'd change the tag to

White Sox Baseball - Getting Home Safe

bennyw41
06-09-2004, 03:10 PM
The White Sox make an effort to return ALL emails, phone calls and letters. Its part of their edict on running business. They almost never give cookie cutter responses. I learned this from a High UP in management, and they seem pretty keen on sticking to it.

Palehose13
06-09-2004, 03:10 PM
They should use REAL SOX fans for these type of commercials. I'm willing to donate my time and services for free as I'm sure most Sox fan would be.

I volunteer too! I don't think there would be any lack of volunteers...I am sure JR would love that!

SaltyPretzel
06-09-2004, 03:56 PM
BTW, what's Brooks' email address?

Mickster
06-09-2004, 04:00 PM

After Cora "successfully" waves the 1st car around, Wendell Kimm (or a look alike) goes to the curb and waves in another car, which turns the corner wildly, then crashes.

Then Mom smirks.......

SEALgep
06-09-2004, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Mickster
After Cora "successfully" waves the 1st car around, Wendell Kimm (or a look alike) goes to the curb and waves in another car, which turns the corner wildly, then crashes.

Then Mom smirks....... Oh if we could get a Wendell look a like, that would be the shizzle. :D:

Irishlawyer
06-09-2004, 05:15 PM
Anyone have a source for wav files of hawk and dj? I'd like to power down windows and have it say "he gone"

DSpivack
06-09-2004, 05:33 PM
I just can't stop watching that commercial; I love it.

And I am just bursting out laughing in my apartment, and my roommates, none of whom like sports, haven't a clue why.

Thanks guys. I don't know what I'd do without you [have a life?].

:::tear,tear:::

batmanZoSo
06-09-2004, 06:15 PM
I wrote Brooks Boyer an e-mail last night commending him for the new commercial and sending along ideas from the "Hawkisms catching on?" thread (with a link). You guys had really great uses of Hawkisms and I thought it would be cool to have a series of Hawkisms used in everyday life (like the NFL "It must be football season" commercials). I just think that the Sox need to market Hawk more. This is the reply I got. Not sure if it is cookie cutter or not, but it was cool to get a response so quickly!

Valerie,

All the best,

Brooks

Good lord we spent most of our budget on those silly white backdrop commercials? Sure, Ozzie looked great....but..

This shows you how much more you can do with nothing more than colored fonts and the 1812 Overture.

voodoochile
06-09-2004, 06:45 PM
Poor Brooks, all these great ideas, a banner start to his advertising campaign and the production budget is shot. Come on JR, free up a couple of mil and let the man play around. Now is not the time to be cheap with things.

voodoochile
06-09-2004, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
Good lord we spent most of our budget on those silly white backdrop commercials? Sure, Ozzie looked great....but..

This shows you how much more you can do with nothing more than colored fonts and the 1812 Overture.

Exactly public domain music and a computer. That must have cost about $1000.

Would be nice to see what he could do with a bit more money.

Palehose13
06-09-2004, 10:16 PM
OMG!

So, I come home from a little happy hour and and I have an e-mail from Mr. Brooks Boyer not happy that I suggested that his e-mail was cookie cutter. (well, I don't know about not happy...but giving me a little jab)

He's reading guys...keep the great ideas coming!

voodoochile
06-09-2004, 10:32 PM
OMG!

So, I come home from a little happy hour and and I have an e-mail from Mr. Brooks Boyer not happy that I suggested that his e-mail was cookie cutter. (well, I don't know about not happy...but giving me a little jab)

He's reading guys...keep the great ideas coming!

In that case....

Hey Brooks, how about a WSI press credential? George and/or Hal would take full advantage of it, I am sure...

RedPinStripes
06-09-2004, 10:34 PM
In the short time he's been here, I really like Brooks. Being interactive withthe fans is something the Sox have needed for a long time in that dept. I appreciate the approach he's taking. I sure hope this guy is the marketing genius that can bring new fans to the park .

:gallas
"I love the flying Elvi"

Gallas you dildo!

TornLabrum
06-09-2004, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
In that case....

Hey Brooks, how about a WSI press credential? George and/or Hal would take full advantage of it, I am sure...

And if he's apprehensive about sending it to one of us, he can always send it to Lip out there in Boise! :D:

Daver
06-09-2004, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
In that case....

Hell I would settle for a free media guide.

:bandance:

TornLabrum
06-09-2004, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Daver

I'd settle for a large Diet Pepsi!

eurotrash35
06-09-2004, 11:53 PM
I'd settle for luxury box seats.

rahulsekhar
06-10-2004, 12:05 AM
I'd settle for......a resigned Maggs, and a trade for Sheets or Garcia.

awesomefan
06-10-2004, 12:14 AM
PaleHose: This is awesome stuff. I really loved reading all the other ideas too. Very funny but I doubt if the electric chair scene would actually be popular with a lot of people & advertisers.

Great Great idea though.

See you in the Chat Room girl.

South Side
06-10-2004, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by rahulsekhar
I'd settle for......a resigned Maggs, and a trade for Sheets or Garcia.

I'll second that.

illiniwhitesox
06-10-2004, 07:49 AM
Channel 5 news sports dept played the entire ad yesterday at around 10:25 PM. I personally love the ad for its simplicity and message - it's on target.

We should extol the fact that our fans our knowledgeable and that the game being played is the focal point of going to the ballpark.

Similar to Pepsi's approach to positioning it's brand as the anti-Coke, I would like to see the Sox position themselves as the anti-Cubs.

There are enough negatives about the Cub experience to position the Sox as the Chicago baseball fan's team of choice:
1) Fraternity/Singles bar-like environment
2) Corporate conglomerate
3) Organization that creates a shell company to scalp its tickets
to its own fans
4) Players that are rude and inconsiderate to fans and the media
(ie Prior and Hawkins)
5) Organization that battles with local community
(ie roof-top owners, night games, proposed bleacher upper
deck)
6) Media bias
7) Unknowledgeable fans
8) High cost of experience - parking and tickets
9) Yuppie identification

Unfortunately, the Chairmen's past behavior makes it hard to position the Sox as fan-friendly, but if we continue to win and JR learns from his past offenses, we just might have something.

ewokpelts
06-10-2004, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Daver

:reinsy

Well, if you bought season tickets, you'd get one.....cheapass

Gene

Palehose13
06-10-2004, 11:08 AM
<--------- brokeass

ewokpelts
06-10-2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by illiniwhitesox
Channel 5 news sports dept played the entire ad yesterday at around 10:25 PM. I personally love the ad for its simplicity and message - it's on target.

We should extol the fact that our fans our knowledgeable and that the game being played is the focal point of going to the ballpark.

Similar to Pepsi's approach to positioning it's brand as the anti-Coke, I would like to see the Sox position themselves as the anti-Cubs.

There are enough negatives about the Cub experience to position the Sox as the Chicago baseball fan's team of choice:
1) Fraternity/Singles bar-like environment
2) Corporate conglomerate
3) Organization that creates a shell company to scalp its tickets
to its own fans
4) Players that are rude and inconsiderate to fans and the media
(ie Prior and Hawkins)
5) Organization that battles with local community
(ie roof-top owners, night games, proposed bleacher upper
deck)
6) Media bias
7) Unknowledgeable fans
8) High cost of experience - parking and tickets
9) Yuppie identification

Unfortunately, the Chairmen's past behavior makes it hard to position the Sox as fan-friendly, but if we continue to win and JR learns from his past offenses, we just might have something.
What did they say about the commercial?
Gene

soxnut
06-10-2004, 06:08 PM

About a month ago I sent a letter to Brooks with quite a few ideas. I had a similar idea to this as well. I just received a "hand written" response from him. He thanked me for my well thought out letter and suggetions. He also mentioned that he is currently implementing som of the ideas, and working on things for next year.