PDA

View Full Version : Konerko at the Hot Corner!

jshanahanjr
06-09-2004, 11:28 AM
I think Ozzie needs to move PK to third when the Sox play in the National League parks. The Sox can't afford to have either of PK's or Frank's bat out of the lineup. Crede is an out almost every time up and then come the Sox pitchers. Try turning that lineup over.

eurotrash35
06-09-2004, 11:32 AM
I'm going to go ahead and disagree with you here. To me defense trumps offense when you're playing in an NL park and though I like Paulie he's not a guy I would want holding down third in close games. Crede may not hit well but at least he's a proven reliable third baseman and I'd rather have a solid guy in the field than another decent bat in the lineup.

DaveIsHere
06-09-2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by eurotrash35
I'm going to go ahead and disagree with you here. To me defense trumps offense when you're playing in an NL park and though I like Paulie he's not a guy I would want holding down third in close games. Crede may not hit well but at least he's a proven reliable third baseman and I'd rather have a solid guy in the field than another decent bat in the lineup.

agreed- can you seriously imagine PK at 3rd that would be hilarious :)

itsnotrequired
I'd have to agree with eruotrash. Crede is the better third baseman and should remain there even if his bat has been suffering as of late.

Mickster
For what it's worth... PK has played 3rd before: played 20 games in 1998, 1 game in 1999 and 7 in 2000. Keep all options open at this point....

eurotrash35
06-09-2004, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Mickster
For what it's worth... PK has played 3rd before: played 20 games in 1998, 1 game in 1999 and 7 in 2000. Keep all options open at this point....

I really did give it a shot in my mind but it would be a disaster. Can you imagine Paulie charging a bunt and making a throw to first on the run? Neither can I.

skottyj242
06-09-2004, 11:40 AM
During the post-game last night a someone called Wills and suggested this. To me this makes no sense I just don't think he's quick enough now. Granted he has played there before that was four years and mabye 20 lbs. ago. Frank and Paulie will get enough at bats, I have faith in Ozzie's knowledge of the National League game to work maybe some sort of double switch to get them both some at bats.

IlliniSox
06-09-2004, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Mickster

I dont' remember that, 7 games in 2000?

jshanahanjr
06-09-2004, 11:45 AM
Decent bat? He's tied for team lead in hr's and leads in rbi's. Paulie can throw just fine and has good hands. Put Crede in the 8th inning for defense and move Paulie back to first.

Randar68
06-09-2004, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by jshanahanjr
I think Ozzie needs to move PK to third when the Sox play in the National League parks. The Sox can't afford to have either of PK's or Frank's bat out of the lineup. Crede is an out almost every time up and then come the Sox pitchers. Try turning that lineup over.

:whoflungpoo

eriqjaffe
06-09-2004, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by IlliniSox

Yep. Here's what he did:

7 games, 2 putouts, 7 assists, 1 error, 1 double-play, for a terrific .900 fielding percentage.

In his career, in 29 games at 3B, he has a .961 FP. But, as Mickster said, that was a pretty long time ago. Don't really think it'd be worth it, unless we desperately needed a bat.

--Eriq.

bobj4400
06-09-2004, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
:whoflungpoo

Randar, I was waiting for your response to this thread, and you didnt disappoint. :)

Philo-Sox-er
06-09-2004, 11:55 AM
From cbssportsline.com:

--Starting June 15 with a trip to Florida, the White Sox will be without a designated hitter in their lineup because of National League rules in interleague play. That means Guillen will have to decide between Frank Thomas and Paul Konerko at first base from game to game. Guillen's plan is to start getting Thomas some games at first base late this week, and then look at the opposing pitchers to see who would be a better match-up between Thomas and Konerko. "Konerko is hitting the ball real well," Guillen said. "It's going to be real hard for me to make that decision. Maybe Frank one day, Konerko the next day. I have to keep those two guys sharp. We'll see how it works. My problem is going to be when I have to pick one of them. We'll have to work it out."

Doesn't sound like they are even considering PK at 3rd.

Brian26
06-09-2004, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by IlliniSox

We just discussed this in another thread over the weekend. I couldn't remember it either, but retosheet.org confirms it. On the opening road trip and homestand, Manual had Konerko at third several times. Strangely enough, in some of those games he started at third, Greg Norton started at first.

wdelaney72
06-09-2004, 12:04 PM
I'll be polite and simple.

No.

mdep524
06-09-2004, 12:29 PM
Well IIRC Konerko came up as a 3B in the Dodgers farm system. He was originally a catcher, but his path to the big leagues was blocked by Piazza so he switched to 3B. So he has some experience at the hot corner. However, I believe he feels VERY uncomfortable playing 3B nowadays, so though its not the worst option in the world, it will not happen.

Randar68
06-09-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by mdep524
Well IIRC Konerko came up as a 3B in the Dodgers farm system. He was originally a catcher, but his path to the big leagues was blocked by Piazza so he switched to 3B. So he has some experience at the hot corner. However, I believe he feels VERY uncomfortable playing 3B nowadays, so though its not the worst option in the world, it will not happen.

His path to the big leagues was blocked by his hip problem that kept him from effectively getting out of the crouch.

Brian26
06-09-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by DaveIsHere
agreed- can you seriously imagine PK at 3rd that would be hilarious

I don't think it is as far-fetched as everyone is making it out to be. It's not like he's never played the position before. He's played it semi-regularly, granted that was a few years ago.

Still, if PK doesn't feel comfortable over there, then it's not worth trying. I'd only consider it if he felt comfortable.

raul12
06-09-2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
We just discussed this in another thread over the weekend. I couldn't remember it either, but retosheet.org confirms it. On the opening road trip and homestand, Manual had Konerko at third several times. Strangely enough, in some of those games he started at third, Greg Norton started at first.

Would you expect anything different from The Tinker?

:jerry
you rang?

JRIG
06-09-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
I don't think it is as far-fetched as everyone is making it out to be. It's not like he's never played the position before. He's played it semi-regularly, granted that was a few years ago.

Still, if PK doesn't feel comfortable over there, then it's not worth trying. I'd only consider it if he felt comfortable.

I talked to Konerko about this last year and he said he would never, ever consider playing 3rd base again. He said he would not feel comfortable heading across the diamond at all and hadn't been taking ground balls there in a long long time.

A. Cavatica
06-09-2004, 01:06 PM
Carlos Lee was almost exclusively a 3B until he came up, and he was probably a better fielder than Konerko...yet I don't recall ever seeing a "move Lee back to third" thread.

Why?

Because it would be a dumb idea.

Konerko will get at least one at-bat a game, and it's only a few games. Besides, by the end of the season Crede's numbers will be almost as good as Konerko's. Don't sweat it.

bennyw41
06-09-2004, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by A. Cavatica
Carlos Lee was almost exclusively a 3B until he came up, and he was probably a better fielder than Konerko...yet I don't recall ever seeing a "move Lee back to third" thread.

Why?

Because it would be a dumb idea.

Konerko will get at least one at-bat a game, and it's only a few games. Besides, by the end of the season Crede's numbers will be almost as good as Konerko's. Don't sweat it.

I don't know if Crede will have Konerko type numbers, but I do know that we can handle a few games with alternating between frank and pauls bat.

ScottyTheSoxFan
06-09-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by bennyw41
I don't know if Crede will have Konerko type numbers, but I do know that we can handle a few games with alternating between frank and pauls bat.

plus that means we will have one hell of a pinch hitter to come off the bench and bat for the pitcher.

ChiSox7
06-09-2004, 01:22 PM
I don't necessarily want to put Paul at 3b to keeps Konerko's bat IN the lineup, but rather get Joe Crede's non-existant bat OUT of the lineup. That guy is just brutal to watch. I mean he is no where even near an MLB quality bat. Just not near.

I'd rather Timo/Rowand play center, Gload play right, Willie 2nd, and Uribe 3rd. I even feel more confident with Jose agianst a lefty than Joe against ANYONE.

BigEdWalsh
06-09-2004, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by A. Cavatica
Besides, by the end of the season Crede's numbers will be almost as good as Konerko's. Don't sweat it.

:andy Cooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooome on, Creeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!

:bundy
:biged Crede's only numbers that might be similar to Konerko's at seasons end MIGHT be Games Played.

MisterB
06-09-2004, 02:29 PM
Going by current splits Konerko is hitting a little better than Thomas against lefties (PK .319/.421/.638 vs. FT .278/.500/.583), but Frank's much better against righties (FT .311/.462/.622 vs. PK .268/.358/.493). A straight LHP/RHP platoon with a possible late inning defensive replacement for Thomas should be OK. The overall problem could be offense vs. lefties. The Sox have guys who don't hit lefties well (Harris, Valentin, Perez) and don't have the roster flexibility to sub them all due to Magglio being out (I'd rather not see both Burke and Dransfeldt in the lineup simultaneously without a double-digit lead). Add to that the fact that both Thomas and Konerko are two of our better hitters vs. lefties, and we can't get both into the lineup in NL parks. Luckily, between Florida, Montreal/San Juan and the Flubs, Dontrelle Willis is the only good lefty starter we may see.

TaylorStSox
06-09-2004, 03:32 PM
Has anyone actually seen PK play 3rd? I have. He's not very good, to say the least.

misty60481
06-09-2004, 06:35 PM
Put Paulie at 1st n & Big Frank at 3rd---that should turn a few heads

voodoochile
06-09-2004, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by misty60481
Put Paulie at 1st n & Big Frank at 3rd---that should turn a few heads

Yeah, theirs as they turn to watch the grounders they should have grabbed bounding through the outfield grass...