PDA

View Full Version : Last Night, Huge PR Win for Sox

SoxOnTop
06-09-2004, 11:18 AM
I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but everytime the Sox return from road trip (sometimes successful sometimes not) and come home to a big crowd against a division rival or big name team, we usually lay an egg. It's like a total buzzkill. It seems like this happens whenever we are on national TV as well.

I would venture to say that outside of being in first place, last nights thundering victory might have been the most important for the Sox attendence for the summer. School is just being let out, some people are making their first trip to a game since last year and they get to see the Sox absolutely launching everything in site into the bleachers. People went and had a great time and that will bring them back again and again this summer. I remember thinking "No, not again" when they went up 3-0 in the top of the first, but then we took care of business. I think that was the most opportunistic victory of the summer for the Sox.

bobj4400
06-09-2004, 11:44 AM
There was a 6 year old Cubs fan in our box last night. After the offensive display, he had ditched the Cubs, donned a Sox hat, and was rooting for the Cardinals on the big board. It was great to help convert a young child before the evil empire up north could firmly entrench him in their "lore."

eurotrash35
06-09-2004, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by bobj4400
There was a 6 year old Cubs fan in our box last night. After the offensive display, he had ditched the Cubs, donned a Sox hat, and was rooting for the Cardinals on the big board. It was great to help convert a young child before the evil empire up north could firmly entrench him in their "lore."

I was that 6 year old kid once a couple decades ago. I always watched cubs games on tv and I sort of cheered for them because I couldn't get sox games. anyway, one time I was visiting family in the chicago area and heard my cousin and his other grandpa were going to a sox game. so I begged and pleaded and somehow I ended up getting to go to my first game at old comiskey sitting in box seats right behind home plate. In the middle of the game a guy sitting in front of us caught a foul ball, turned around, and handed it to me. I'll never forget that moment at old comiskey and it made me forget the flubs ever existed. I still have that baseball too, so the next time you catch a foul ball or a home run look around to see if you can make some little kid's day.

skottyj242
06-09-2004, 12:03 PM
I saw the exact opposite last night, we were sitting right on the Sox dugout and when Paulie was coming back to the dugout a group of people rushed down to see if he would throw them the ball. Paulie tosses on to a young kid with a glove on his dad's shoulders and some older idiot behind him reaches over and snatches it right before it hit his mitt. A chorous of boos followed but the guy couldn't care less. What a douchebag.

DaveIsHere
06-09-2004, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by skottyj242
I saw the exact opposite last night, we were sitting right on the Sox dugout and when Paulie was coming back to the dugout a group of people rushed down to see if he would throw them the ball. Paulie tosses on to a young kid with a glove on his dad's shoulders and some older idiot behind him reaches over and snatches it right before it hit his mitt. A chorous of boos followed but the guy couldn't care less. What a douchebag.

That sucks, let the damn kid have the ball, the kid would have been ecstatic :angry:

eurotrash35
06-09-2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by skottyj242

Wow, that's just horrible. Few things get me more pissed than when older people steal balls like that or shove kids out of the way to get autographs. Truly pathetic. I would have spilled my beer on that moron. :angry:

samram
06-09-2004, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by bobj4400

That story brings a joyful tear to my eye. :)