PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NewsMedia Watch 6/9/04

Hangar18
06-09-2004, 10:36 AM
SOX actually outdo the Cubs today in the cub times! Not so in the CUbune. Wolf had nice things to say this morning, Mariotti writes a Good Column today ......TOO BAD its about 3 days too Late. STILL NO MAGGS WATCH, and STILL NO SCALDING Anti-Hawkins article, nor remarks by Murph on Score.

Cubune:
7 cub stories
5 sox stories
Cub-Times:
2 cub stories
5 sox stories

4th Place Cub Team 881
1st Place SOX Team 589

DaveIsHere
06-09-2004, 10:37 AM
There was Sox talk all morning on the Score or at least until 7:30 when I get to work

skottyj242
06-09-2004, 10:40 AM
I don't know if this was mentioned here yesterday but whitesoxinteractive.com and Lip got mentioned in Ron Rappaport's column in the Sin-times. If it's been mentioned sorry.

rahulsekhar
06-09-2004, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Mariotti writes a Good Column today

Although he feels a need to get his dig in...

As it is, Williams has been on the lookout for another starter. Specifically, he has targeted Seattle's Freddy Garcia, who happens to be Guillen's close friend and offseason hangout partner in Venezuela. But other teams want Garcia, including the Yankees and division-rival Twins, and likely have more to offer than Williams. [B}It's doubtful the Sox will get Garcia if they only can offer a package of disappointing prospect Joe Borchard, outfielder Aaron Rowand and pitcher Jon Rauch.
[/B]

Ummmm...Jay - who can the Yanks possibly offer up that's better? Jose "Cuban for Navarro" Contreras? The Twins, maybe - but I don't think they've got the minor league ptiching and they're not parting with Morneau. Not sure who they have that currently projects out better than Borchard (since Joe seems to have finally turned the corner).

Actually - if the trade WAS Borchard, Rowand, Rauch, I'd think we were giving up too much. Include Guardado in that deal.

Philo-Sox-er
06-09-2004, 10:42 AM
I don't want a Maggs Watch...I don't want what they have. I like our differences. We don't need to pamper players and have all our hopes riding on one guy to be our savior, to rid us of a jinx, etc. Don't get me wrong, I love Maggs and he would be a huge help; but we are winning now. And I fully agree about the media bias. But what I don't want is for us to desire what they have...we need to be creative and cultivate/develop our own White Sox culture. That is why the new ad is so great!

DaveIsHere
06-09-2004, 10:46 AM
PK is on the front page of the MLB section of espn.com

Hangar18
06-09-2004, 11:41 AM
am670 Lo-Lites this morning

6:30 - 7am Whats your beef? callers urged to complain, all steered towards complaints about cubs
7am -7:15 Talked SOX w reporter
7:15 - 7:45 Murph was to talk about SOX BP situation, but as ALWAYS, Steered callers to cub bp situation
8am - 8:30 Talked Cub w reporter
8:30 - 8:45 Complained about Patterson
8:45 - 9:10 Talked about Fans Applauding Patterson as opposed to Booing him lately
9:10 - 9:20 Talked w KenRosenthal about Interleague Play.
Of course, Murph eventually Steers conversation to his thoughts on cubs and interleague consequences
9:20 - 9:30 Talked Basketball
9:30 - 10am Talked Interleague matchups

Topics NOT COVERED: Big Crowd at CELL, BIG WIN for SOX,
NO KOCH, NO CubFans at park = No Fights last nite.

CanOfCorn
06-09-2004, 03:29 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-040608morrissey,1,4567196.column?coll=cs-home-utility

I thought this was a decent anti-Hawkins article. Hell, it praised Koch.

BeerHandle
06-09-2004, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by skottyj242
I don't know if this was mentioned here yesterday but whitesoxinteractive.com and Lip got mentioned in Ron Rappaport's column in the Sin-times. If it's been mentioned sorry.

What was said? I ddn't see the article.

bigdommer
06-09-2004, 05:24 PM
Hanger,

Sports Illustrated articles this week (June 14th cover)

Cubs: 0
White Sox: 1

Great article on Ozzie's influence on the Sox, from the young guys to the vets to the Latins to the pitchers. No Cubbie fluff in there. Don't worry, no cover story, no jinx.

Brian26
06-09-2004, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by BeerHandle
What was said? I ddn't see the article.

He wrote that Mark Liptak runs Whitesoxinteractive.com. Not sure what PHG and the gang have to say about that, though :smile:

TornLabrum
06-09-2004, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
He wrote that Mark Liptak runs Whitesoxinteractive.com. Not sure what PHG and the gang have to say about that, though :smile:

Lip wrote an email to Rapaport stating who the owner was.

I have a feeling that if you're prominent on the site, some people are going to think you run it. I've had 2-3 people talk about what a great site I run. I always let them know that it's Cousin George's baby and I'm the proud recipient of nepotism.