PDA

View Full Version : launching pad at the cell?

eurotrash35
06-09-2004, 09:21 AM
Was there any discussion last night as to why the balls were just flying out of the park? I've never really seen anything like that, it was a home run derby for a few innings there.

SEALgep
06-09-2004, 09:26 AM
The wind I assume.

bigdommer
06-09-2004, 09:34 AM
It was also like 90 degrees there, and the ball flies a lot further at the Cell in the summer.

Jerko
06-09-2004, 09:36 AM
The new closed-in UD got some of the credit (or blame) as well.

joeynach
06-09-2004, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by eurotrash35
Was there any discussion last night as to why the balls were just flying out of the park? I've never really seen anything like that, it was a home run derby for a few innings there.

Balls carry further in the hot humid summer air and the wind was blowing out to left (or from right to left). And yeah the new upper deck reduced all those swirling winds now that the gigantic bowl shape was reduced. Remember we used to see hot dog wrapper and napkins blowing around the field aginst the walls and such in a circle. Thats has been almost eliminated. The wind now prevails and doesn't get changed by the shape of the stadium or upper deck.

Randar68
06-09-2004, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
The wind I assume.

Wind blowing out to L-CF, 90 degrees, and a ton of humidity..

npdempse
06-09-2004, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
Wind blowing out to L-CF, 90 degrees, and a ton of humidity..

It was SUPER windy in the first couple of innings. I was watching the weather vane in the BP, showing the wind blowing straight out HARD when Pauly came up to bat and told my wife I'd be surprised if he didn't crank one. I couldn't believe how far back that homerun carried.

eurotrash35
06-09-2004, 10:24 AM
Well whatever it is I kinda like it. Like Hawk said I like our chances in those slugfests. Bad news for our pitchers though. Most everybody's ERA took a pounding last night.

jabrch
06-09-2004, 10:26 AM
Well whatever it is I kinda like it. Like Hawk said I like our chances in those slugfests. Bad news for our pitchers though. Most everybody's ERA took a pounding last night.

A win is a win - I don't care much about our ERAs in wins! If ours is less than theirs is - that's good! :)

fuzzy_patters
06-09-2004, 11:11 AM
We had better get used to it. With the reconfigured upper deck, those southwest summer winds will be blowing for the next three months. Couple that with no more swirling winds and hot humid air and we have a recipe for the American League's version of Coors Field. I have a feeling we are going to be seeing these slugfests for the next three months.

eurotrash35
06-09-2004, 11:15 AM
The only problem I see is getting our swings tuned for routine fly balls going out and then getting into corpseball again when we play on the road or when it cools down in the fall.

joeynach
06-09-2004, 11:42 AM
The only problem I see is getting our swings tuned for routine fly balls going out and then getting into corpseball again when we play on the road or when it cools down in the fall.

Hey they just got to learn to adapt. They players do at wrigley when the wind is blowing out and the way the rockies hitters do when not at home.

Baby Fisk
06-09-2004, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by joeynach
Hey they just got to learn to adapt. They players do at wrigley when the wind is blowing out and the way the rockies hitters do when not at home.

...or when those bastards in Minnesota crank their ventilation to create all those wind-assisted HRs... :cool:

*runs away snickering*

samram
06-09-2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by joeynach

I really hope the Sox adapt on the road better than the Cubs and Rockies do. I don't know if they're the models the team should be following.

nitetrain8601
06-09-2004, 12:59 PM
That was great. I loved watching that game. I know we have a great chance of winning if we're getting into slugfests. GO SOX!!!!!!