PDA

View Full Version : Sox Pride

skottyj242
06-09-2004, 09:20 AM
What exactly is Sox Pride? Does anyone have any ideas?

fledgedrallycap
06-09-2004, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by skottyj242

If you have to ask, you don't have it :D:

skottyj242
06-09-2004, 09:30 AM
Yeah but it's different to everyone. Some people show their pride by dressing in silver and black everywhere they go. Some people show it by going to tons of games. Some people devote entire rooms of their house to the good guys. I was just wondering how you showed your Sox Pride. Sorry for the misunderstanding. And by the way I have tremendous Sox Pride.

Palehose13
06-09-2004, 09:35 AM
Some people devote entire rooms of their house to the good guys.

I'm almost there...I'm building a collection. Plus watch or listen to every game I can. And finally, I pledge my allegiance to the Chicago White Sox to anyone who will listen. :D:

SoxFan78
06-09-2004, 09:44 AM
Sox Pride to me is checking this web site every day and seeing all of the discussion (good and bad) about our southsiders. Going to opening day every season and next year becoming a season ticket holder.

Baby Fisk
06-09-2004, 09:51 AM
Sox Pride to me is spending an appalling amount of my workday on WSI, wearing Sox gear as often as possible, forming a one-man cheering section whenever the Sox visit my hometown, chatting up the Sox and why they rule to my baseball-inclined friends, and of course... biding the time until that elusive World Championship finally arrives, envisioning how the Sox will win each game of that future WS, and making plans for the explosive celebrations that will follow.

:)

Hokiesox
06-09-2004, 09:54 AM
It's when everyone says your team sucks, hasn't played any real teams, is second to the scrubs, or...you overhear someone say, "I didn't know there were White Sox fans!?" and you still proudly say that you are a White Sox fan. And you're gonna stick with them, and hold out hope that maybe, just maybe, this will be our year. Then you do the same next year.

You also extoll the virtues of everyone wearing the Silver and Black, except you-know-who. But you also don't make excuses when the team sucks. That's a north-side trait.

There are varying degrees of Sox Pride, but this is mine. I also follow almost every game on the internet from out here in Washington.

Hangar18
06-09-2004, 09:54 AM
SOX PRIDE is knowing as much as possible about Our Beloved ......
and then Wearing my JERSEY or CAP anywhere I go, despite the Media.

Philo-Sox-er
06-09-2004, 10:03 AM
I don't want to sour the ad or the enthusiasm; but I have to say the "pride" thing doesn't sit that well with me. To the best of my knowledge pride can be baseless, founded upon ignorance. The Cubs fans, to me, always represented pride--it is, after all, one of the seven deadly sins. It is blind.

I always thought that being a Sox fan was not solely based on an emotional attachment to a uniform; but rather that Sox fans were knowledgable about baseball first and foremost. That they wanted their team to play the game well and succeed. We demand of our team and our organiztaion that it be principled and execute thusly.

It is fine to happy/elated when the team succeeds/plays hard and tries while staying true to this philosophy. But we have to be critical--such as I witness daily on WSI--when they do not. Pride often shuts down the critical ability and I hope we don't blind ourselves with hubris.

CubKilla
06-09-2004, 10:22 AM

Never giving up on the White Sox considering they're owned by a buffoon, GM'ed by a friggin' moron, play in an albatross of a stadium, generally disliked by the local and national sports media, and continually forgotten by most as a Chicago sports entity.

Oh yeah, did I mention coming back every year, hoping for a WS Berth, only to have your still beating heart ripped out of your chest one way or the other?

bafiarocks03
06-09-2004, 10:31 AM
mine..... hmm..... well my room is filled with pictures, frames, baseballs, hats, bobbleheads, big posters,ummmm.....my door is a huge collection of pictures cut out of magazines, newspapers, ect.!im always on WSI checking posts and stuff, whitesox.com! the fact that i talk about them all the time,(my friends get really annoyed), i have so much sox stuff!!! earrings, pens, blankets, bracelets, posters, bats, balls, hats, pictures, shirts, jearseys, coats, gloves, winter hats, headbands for winter! and thats only someof it!! i guess thats enough!!lol!

skottyj242
06-09-2004, 10:35 AM
I don't know if anyone else has this problem but I rarely wear Sox garb while out in fear of jinxing the team. On occasion I'll wear a jersey or hat but most of the time when I go to games I just can't do it. But if anyone starts talking smack about my guys I'm the first one to fire back and support 'em.

pudge
06-09-2004, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Philo-Sox-er
I don't want to sour the ad or the enthusiasm; but I have to say the "pride" thing doesn't sit that well with me. To the best of my knowledge pride can be baseless, founded upon ignorance. The Cubs fans, to me, always represented pride--it is, after all, one of the seven deadly sins. It is blind.

I always thought that being a Sox fan was not solely based on an emotional attachment to a uniform; but rather that Sox fans were knowledgable about baseball first and foremost. That they wanted their team to play the game well and succeed. We demand of our team and our organiztaion that it be principled and execute thusly.

It is fine to happy/elated when the team succeeds/plays hard and tries while staying true to this philosophy. But we have to be critical--such as I witness daily on WSI--when they do not. Pride often shuts down the critical ability and I hope we don't blind ourselves with hubris.

Nicely said, Socrates.

SOXintheBURGH
06-09-2004, 12:43 PM
Does a SOX tattoo count for Sox Pride? That's permanent and all.

HomeFish
06-09-2004, 12:49 PM
I still proudly display my framed and autographed Bob Howry photo on top of the tallest bookcase in my house.

JRIG
06-09-2004, 12:53 PM
:hawk
"Sox Pride! It's an attitude. And whether you think you know what is is or you think you don't, either way, you're right!"

Iwritecode
06-09-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by SOXintheBURGH
Does a SOX tattoo count for Sox Pride? That's permanent and all.

I have the next step down. I wear a gold Sox charm around my neck 24/7/365.

:)

HomeFish
06-09-2004, 12:55 PM
Here, I took down the Howry photo to take a picture for further bragging:

wdelaney72
06-09-2004, 01:00 PM
I show mine by wearing my #30 jerseys on Saturday's and Sundays (cant' wear it to work). I do get away with a White Sox lanyard at work. Everyday, I sport the silver and black!

Also, on weekends, my two lads are dressed in silver and black.

fledgedrallycap
06-09-2004, 01:15 PM
I do my best by wearing Sox caps, shirts, jackets, etc. whenever possible. I have a bathroom and office completely devoted to Chicago sports, mostly encompassed with White Sox collectables. In adition, I proudly fly my Sox flag on my patio, have a Sox sticker in my car window, and have an office desk loaded with Sox stuff

I really want license plates with SOX in some capacity.

Last, but not least; I put stupid Cub fans and un-enlightened members of our society in place by spreading the truth about Chicago White Sox baseball. (That should be our oath)

pinwheels3530
06-09-2004, 02:27 PM
Sox pride is taking a bunch of kids to game and helpnig them become SOX FANS.

hsnterprize
06-09-2004, 05:21 PM
It's when you're a father teaching your small children to like the White Sox in spite of a father-in-law who's a Cub fan. It's wearing a dingy, smelly Sox cap to work and cringing for the chance to get a new one. It's wanting to watch every game, whether live or on TV. It's looking forward to sitting in the press box at a Sox game with the same enthusiasm as a kid looking forward to Christmas or summer vacation.

It's driving your wife crazy with Sox talk...and even playing a small radio at the dinner table because John and Ed are on. It's telling your Cubbie-loving co-workers to have something legit to say instead of "Sox suck" all the time...especially when it's the SOX who are in first place. It's telling out-of-towners on the train to check out the Sox when all they've heard about Chicago baseball is the Cubs.

IT'S CHEERING AND LAUGHING YOUR TAIL OFF WHEN THE CUBS CHOKE IN THE 2003 PLAYOFFS...AND NOT FEELING ASHAMED TO DO SO!!!!!!!

It's wishing you could have 1 or 2 of each jersey style with your own personal name and number on the back. It's only being interested in wearing the black "S-O-X" cap on an everyday basis unless you find a more fashionable one to match your outfit.

IT'S WRITING LENGTHY LETTERS AND E-MAILS TO CRITICS WHO SAY SOX FANS ARE WHINY, JEALOUS, AND OTHER ADJECTIVES WHEN ALL WE'RE DOING IS RESPONDING TO YEARS OF RIDICULE!!!!!!

It's telling members of the media to either get it right about the Sox, or face the wrath of WSI members like me.

And finally...it's just not being ashamed to tell the world you're a CHICAGO WHITE SOX FAN!!!! It even feels better when the Cubs crash in front of your face so you can laugh at them and their fans. Afterall...we: know better. They: don't.

SOX PRIDE!!!!!!!

Whitesox029
06-09-2004, 05:29 PM
Sox Pride is:
Knowing we're the smartest fans in town

Cheering rabidly at a Sox victory

NANANANA NANANANA HEY HEY HEY GOODBYE!

Telling out-of-towners that you hate the Cubs with a passion and laughing at the astonishment on their faces

Nancy Faust's organ

The pinwheel scoreboard

Churros

The legacies of the best players ever to wear the S-O-X imprinted on the left-center field wall

Did I miss anything?

ewokpelts
06-09-2004, 05:32 PM
Doing whatever you can to help your sox.

I get ticket vouchers from my rep and hand them out at games. I go to a bunch of games. I buy way too much sox stuff(and 03 asg gear too). I mock cub fans. I date a sox fan. I yelled at my fav band's singer when he gave a shout out to teh flubs during teh 03 playoffs.

Gene

WSox8404
06-09-2004, 05:32 PM
Yeah but it's different to everyone. Some people show their pride by dressing in silver and black everywhere they go. Some people show it by going to tons of games. Some people devote entire rooms of their house to the good guys. I was just wondering how you showed your Sox Pride. Sorry for the misunderstanding. And by the way I have tremendous Sox Pride.

My Sox pride is going to as many Sox games as I can and wearing at least a Sox hat everytime I leave the house. I also have two Sox stickers on the back of my car window and a Sox flag I fly from my back window.

Blueprint1
06-09-2004, 06:36 PM
NANANANA NANANANA HEY HEY HEY GOODBYE!

You know this is something that is never talked about by anyone. I think thats one of the greatest traditions in baseball is sox fans cheering this.

thezeker
06-09-2004, 06:54 PM
SOX PRIDE is going to Seattle for three games and getting your heart torn out by Koch.

then

Being right back at the "Cell" on Tuesday to cheer for my boys!

Because they're "my boys" and always will be "my boys" no matter how much they sometimes frustrate me and make me want to strangle them!!!

To me that's what SOX PRIDE is!!!!!!

Unregistered
06-09-2004, 07:03 PM
Sox Pride is letting the outcome of that days game affect the rest of your day. That's either Pride or insanity... still trying to decide. :D:

DSpivack
06-09-2004, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered
Sox Pride is letting the outcome of that days game affect the rest of your day. That's either Pride or insanity... still trying to decide. :D:

Pride or Insanity? My answer to that is a resounding yes.

Sox Pride is watching the game in your apartment in Atlanta, when they are on ESPN on a Sunday nite, sitting at the computer half-attentive to a ninth-inning that is about to end yet another White Sox Winner. Then Koch comes in, blows it, you throw the remote across the room, and procede to break the venetian blinds at the window.

Sox Pride is not rooting for the Cubs to go to the Series, talking to your friends from back home online during the playoffs, and them not only not really understanding you for rooting against cute, cuddly Cubbie bears but for making fun of them when they are rooting for them. Sox Pride is talking online in a such a time to your big high school crush, who suddenly isn't so attractive anymore in such a state, and her calling you an a-hole for rooting against Chicago's "team".

Sox Pride is being mildly obsessed with a fan forum, spending hours a day on such a site, as well as checking the stats on ESPN everyday, if only for the reason that they have "projected" season stats.

Sox Pride is comiserating with the few Sox fans from back home, celebrating the victories and grumbling the defeats.

Sox Pride is watching the Marlins winning the World Series, defeating the Cubs in the NLCS and the Yankees in the World Series, thinking that if the the Sox aren't in the playoffs this still was a very good year.

Sox Pride is disliking the song My Kind Of Town because it mentions the Cubbies and not the Sox. Sox Pride is liking the song Sweet Home Chicago because it just seems more White Sox than the former song.

Sox Pride is cherishing the good; the first memory of Game 6 of the 1993 ALCS, of numerous games over the years, of Mark Grace getting picked off by Sean Lowe, of 2000 and Game 1, of numerous games since.