PDA

View Full Version : No Fights Last Night..... Guess Why?

Hangar18
06-09-2004, 09:00 AM
There were no Cub Fans at the game agitating and instigating things. And here, the SOX were racking their brains trying to figure out what the problem was

fledgedrallycap
06-09-2004, 09:03 AM
Today the Cubs play during the day and the Sox at night, hopefully the drunk sCrUBS stay in Wrigleyville.

Rocky Soprano
06-09-2004, 09:05 AM
A couple of diehard Sox fans were sitting behind me yesterday (I was sitting in right field) and they said that they were a bit upset at all the fights during the last few Monday and Tuesday games. They complained that the beer vendors were not coming by and that there was a one beer limit at the stands. It was towards the end of the game and one of them said, wow I guess this one beer policy worked. I turned around and said what worked is that the Flubs are at home so all the stupid Cub fans stayed at home tonight. They actually said they have seen it with their own eyes that it seems that most of the time it is ALWAYS a stupid Cub fan that starts the fights.

It was AWESOME to see such a big crowd last night.

LongLiveFisk
06-09-2004, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
There were no Cub Fans at the game agitating and instigating things. And here, the SOX were racking their brains trying to figure out what the problem was

I was about 98% sure that was the reason to begin with, but I think last night definitely proved it.

Jerko
06-09-2004, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Rocky Soprano
A couple of diehard Sox fans were sitting behind me yesterday (I was sitting in right field) and they said that they were a bit upset at all the fights during the last few Monday and Tuesday games. They complained that the beer vendors were not coming by and that there was a one beer limit at the stands. It was towards the end of the game and one of them said, wow I guess this one beer policy worked. I turned around and said what worked is that the Flubs are at home so all the stupid Cub fans stayed at home tonight. They actually said they have seen it with their own eyes that it seems that most of the time it is ALWAYS a stupid Cub fan that starts the fights.

It was AWESOME to see such a big crowd last night.

Were beer vendors even in the outfield at all, or just banned from the aisles? Sometimes they mill around out there for walk-up business. Anyway, The one beer limit might have worked LAST NIGHT, but I am still interested to see how it works the next half-price night that the Cubs are out of town. For one, people know about the one-beer limit now so they may take measures to drink more before the game, and I just can't see 10 guys standing in line to get 10 beers without a bunch of drunk Cub fans behind them getting pissed off that the line is so long. I'm glad last night was tame by half price night standards, but I don't think we have good example to go on until the north side team is out of town again.

Hangar18
06-09-2004, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by LongLiveFisk
I was about 98% sure that was the reason to begin with, but I think last night definitely proved it.

AND IVE BEEN WAITING FOR am670 to Talk about this Fact ......
Remember last week, how the SCORE tried to PLANT the story that "Cell is getting too Violent" when the real reason was Cub Fans coming to the park and instigating things? Today.......
Nothing Mentioned. Of course

SEALgep
06-09-2004, 09:29 AM
AND IVE BEEN WAITING FOR am670 to Talk about this Fact ......
Remember last week, how the SCORE tried to PLANT the story that "Cell is getting too Violent" when the real reason was Cub Fans coming to the park and instigating things? Today.......
Nothing Mentioned. Of course Maybe we should give them a call.

eurotrash35
06-09-2004, 09:31 AM
Call the score and get the word out!

bobj4400
06-09-2004, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by eurotrash35
Call the score and get the word out!

Murph doesnt put callers on the air if they want to talk about the Sox...

Hangar18
06-09-2004, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by bobj4400
Murph doesnt put callers on the air if they want to talk about the Sox...

YUP! However, I figured a way around this, You'll only be able to do it once, because then they Write your number down
(555-111-9999 sox fan) and wont let you back thru.
SAY YOUR A CUB FAN, MAKE UP A CUB QUESTION, and watch
HOW AMAZINGLY FAST you get thru. They Screen the calls ...
why i hate that show

jabrch
06-09-2004, 10:08 AM
Was it no cubs fans - or no beer vendors? Hard to tell I guess.

npdempse
06-09-2004, 10:18 AM
I definitely attribute it to the lack of beer vendors. There were a couple of groups around me who were VERY disappointed in the lack of beer vendors, had to get up and wait in line several times, and didn't get nearly as drunk as they wanted to. There were PLENTY of cub-holes there, but the crowd was mellow, and the ribbing good natured. In particular, one guy in front of me chanted for the Cubs a couple of times, and some guys had some words for him. I have no doubt that if these drillrods had a few more beers in them, it would have gotten into more than words by the end of the night.

Good call Sox.

kittle545feet
06-09-2004, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by npdempse
I definitely attribute it to the lack of beer vendors. There were a couple of groups around me who were VERY disappointed in the lack of beer vendors, had to get up and wait in line several times, and didn't get nearly as drunk as they wanted to. There were PLENTY of cub-holes there, but the crowd was mellow, and the ribbing good natured. In particular, one guy in front of me chanted for the Cubs a couple of times, and some guys had some words for him. I have no doubt that if these drillrods had a few more beers in them, it would have gotten into more than words by the end of the night.

Good call Sox. wait a second! go back and read your post. was it the lack of beer or the fact that the cub fan wasn't heard by the type of sox fan (who i personally love) who, no matter if drunk or not, would have told him to sit down and shut the hell up? JUST BECAUSE YOU DRINK BEERS AT GAMES DOESN'T MEAN YOU WILL FIGHT! it depends on the people. the problem lies in the fact that the cub fan was trying to get a rise out of sox fans by cheering for the cubs, not the beer. if you remove the cub fan from any of the scenarios, there is no reason for sox fans to get upset, drunk or not! :angry:

jabrch
06-09-2004, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by kittle545feet
wait a second! go back and read your post. was it the lack of beer or the fact that the cub fan wasn't heard by the type of sox fan (who i personally love) who, no matter if drunk or not, would have told him to sit down and shut the hell up? JUST BECAUSE YOU DRINK BEERS AT GAMES DOESN'T MEAN YOU WILL FIGHT! it depends on the people. the problem lies in the fact that the cub fan was trying to get a rise out of sox fans by cheering for the cubs, not the beer. if you remove the cub fan from any of the scenarios, there is no reason for sox fans to get upset, drunk or not! :angry:

while that is true - removing temptation is not always the solution to the problem. At games, as in life, temptations exist. You can not tell Cubs fans that they can't come to the park. You can't stop someoene from coming to a game and cheering for the Cubs. (although when they are playing 8 miles north and there were plenty of tickets GREAT SEATS to be had AT FACE VALUE in front of Wrigley, I don't know why they would) You can, and should, stop drunken aholes from pushing and shoving and throwing punches. If a Cubs fan cheers for the cubs in your section - regardless of if you drink or not - ignore him - who cares? Or have fun with him - remind him of his 4th place team. But the fights are ridiculous - beer or not.

ChiSoxBobette
06-09-2004, 12:08 PM

Oh my what are you impling. That because the cubs were in town maybe thier fans went to wrigley field instead of coming to US Cellular , I don't think those upstanding, intelligent ,wonderful fans would ever do what your trying to make us believe.

MAYBE SOME OF THE SCRUB LOVING SPORTS REPORTERS IN THIS TOWN WILL OPEN THIER EYES AND CONNECT THE DOTS. Every time my wife & I go to one of the half price nights its nothing but fights and almost everytime you see some scrub loving idiot in a shammee jersey throwing punches or yelling at White Sox fans. But the next day White Sox fans are called bums by the media because of all the fights , that would also imply that our White Sox don't have to many chicago sports reporters at our games because they'd see the same thing we do SCRUB FANS CAUSING PROBLEMS!

LongLiveFisk
06-09-2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
Was it no cubs fans - or no beer vendors? Hard to tell I guess.

I guess it would have been nice to test one theory at a time...but probably easier said than done!

samram
06-09-2004, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
while that is true - removing temptation is not always the solution to the problem. At games, as in life, temptations exist. You can not tell Cubs fans that they can't come to the park. You can't stop someoene from coming to a game and cheering for the Cubs. (although when they are playing 8 miles north and there were plenty of tickets GREAT SEATS to be had AT FACE VALUE in front of Wrigley, I don't know why they would) You can, and should, stop drunken aholes from pushing and shoving and throwing punches. If a Cubs fan cheers for the cubs in your section - regardless of if you drink or not - ignore him - who cares? Or have fun with him - remind him of his 4th place team. But the fights are ridiculous - beer or not.

Good call. A guy like that is just desperate for attention, like most of the "fans" at Wrigley on their cellphones hoping to hear they are on TV. Ignoring him will make him feel far worse than letting him know he's getting to you. Although, reminding him of his team's pedestrian status is also good.

npdempse
06-09-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by kittle545feet
wait a second! go back and read your post. was it the lack of beer or the fact that the cub fan wasn't heard by the type of sox fan (who i personally love) who, no matter if drunk or not, would have told him to sit down and shut the hell up? JUST BECAUSE YOU DRINK BEERS AT GAMES DOESN'T MEAN YOU WILL FIGHT! it depends on the people. the problem lies in the fact that the cub fan was trying to get a rise out of sox fans by cheering for the cubs, not the beer. if you remove the cub fan from any of the scenarios, there is no reason for sox fans to get upset, drunk or not! :angry:

Why don't YOU give it a second read. There were some young, dumb Sox fans going below his level with the taunting. Obviously all this woulda/coulda is idle speculation, but it wouldn't have surprised me in the least to see these guys get in a fight had any of them been properly soused.

I'm not arguing that Cub fans should come to our park to taunt Sox fans, but for anybody to take it to the level of putting somebody in the ER as they did last week is despicable, and any actions the Sox take to curb that are welcome.

kittle545feet
06-12-2004, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by npdempse
Why don't YOU give it a second read. There were some young, dumb Sox fans going below his level with the taunting. Obviously all this woulda/coulda is idle speculation, but it wouldn't have surprised me in the least to see these guys get in a fight had any of them been properly soused.

I'm not arguing that Cub fans should come to our park to taunt Sox fans, but for anybody to take it to the level of putting somebody in the ER as they did last week is despicable, and any actions the Sox take to curb that are welcome. you didn't say in your post anything about the sox fans going below the level of the cub fan. you said there was some good natured ribbing so what am i to think? your right about the speculation, thats all it is. but i have seen plenty of fights with sober people involved and 99% of the time its with a cub fan who shouldn't have said anything and show some respect. but then again they are ub fans and i have come to expect it.