PDA

View Full Version : Mike Jackson MUST GO

Hangar18
06-09-2004, 09:55 AM
every time this guy comes in, he coughs up runs left and right.
Everyone in my section heard me call it ......... he had Thome 0-2,
and I said he was going to crush one out.

fledgedrallycap
06-09-2004, 10:01 AM
Mike Jackson IMO has done a sericeable job until last night. Will this guy be our closer, or even set-up man? No. However, he has come in during the sixth or seventh numerous times and done a pretty good job.

For whatever reason, pitchers have a tough time getting going with a large lead. The blood just isn't pumping and they lose an edge.

I wouldn't let this performance taint his job with the Sox.

Irishsox1
06-09-2004, 10:26 AM
Lay off Jackson, he wasn't the only Sox pitcher to serve up a three run homerun to Thome yesterday. However, if your looking for an excuse, I blame Billy Koch.

eurotrash35
06-09-2004, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap
Mike Jackson IMO has done a sericeable job until last night. Will this guy be our closer, or even set-up man? No. However, he has come in during the sixth or seventh numerous times and done a pretty good job.

For whatever reason, pitchers have a tough time getting going with a large lead. The blood just isn't pumping and they lose an edge.

I wouldn't let this performance taint his job with the Sox.

agreed

I have been pretty happy with him up until now, everybody has a bad day once in a while.

HomerCoach
06-09-2004, 10:32 AM
I'm with you Hangar, no more moonwalking.

thepaulbowski
06-09-2004, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18

Buehrle gave up six runs in the first two innings, get rid of him too.

ScottyTheSoxFan
06-09-2004, 10:56 AM
i think he is like tom gordon last year in the sense that he shouldn't go more than 1 inning. gordon was great last year, but in his second inning, he would get rocked. remember, jackson is 39 years old.

hold2dibber
06-09-2004, 11:45 AM

Yeah, but Thome seems to hit a home in just about every AB against the Sox. I mean, if you put Randy Johnson or Cy Young himself in a Sox uniform, Thome would go 4-for-5 with a dinger, 2 doubles and 5 RBIs.

Hangar18
06-09-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski
Buehrle gave up six runs in the first two innings, get rid of him too.

YES, but buehrle managed to get 21 outs or so in between all of that. This guy got hit HARD yesterday. he only managed to get 3 outs, and 5 runs.

soxnut
06-09-2004, 12:43 PM
Everyone in my section heard me call it ......... he had Thome 0-2,and I said he was going to crush one out.

Hey, that's not much of a prediction considering he always does this to the Sox no matter who's pitching :(: :whiner: :smile:

quade36
06-09-2004, 12:45 PM
Mike Jackson has been a pleasant surprise. So he had one bad outing. Didn't Marte??? Didn't Shingo??? Common. I am happy with his pitching thus far.

HomeFish
06-09-2004, 12:46 PM
And who do you propose to replace Old Hickory in our bullpen?

Nard
06-09-2004, 12:58 PM
MJ should be the closer. Ozzie has even said that Marte, Shingo, MJ, and Koch can come in and fill the closer role in certain situations...

... and then throwing MJ out there for long relief in garbage time is just an insult. That should be Politte's job.

Obviously MJ's intensity just wasn't there. Nor should it be; he's not that kind of reliever who comes in to make two scoreless innings in a game that's already over.

He and Marte are still the best men for the closer job.

duke of dorwood
06-09-2004, 01:06 PM
He's old, often injured-and IMO finished as a productive player

Hondo
06-09-2004, 01:20 PM

Chill out Hangar. Prior to last night he gave up more than 1 run twice in his previous outings (Both of those were 2 runs by the way) Crank the hyperbole dial down from 11.
Thome is a GREAT hitter.
This lineup scored 6 runs on Burly mon with 6 outs. So lay off Jackson.
Was it a bad outing? Heck yeah but he's servicable. The only true problem in the bullpen is Krotch.
Jackson could be our closer. Look at Benitez, Mesa, Koch (pre-oakland) Anyone with good enough stuff can go out for one year and be a shut down or above average closer.
Gagne was the worst starter in the NL and now he's the best closer in the majors.
Point is Jackson can get outs. He may struggle from time to time but he's proven he can get players out. Now it's time to see where he can best get players out. If then he still struggles be my guest to hate on him as much as you want.

NOTE-This isn't a Jackson for Closer post nor am I president of the FOMJ

duke of dorwood
06-09-2004, 01:30 PM
You can see it-earlier he was throwing much better than now-he just seems to be running out of gas. Last night will repeat itself the more he works

BigEdWalsh
06-09-2004, 01:52 PM
:)
I think the Jackson should be our closer talk is a little "out there". Currently, I'd rather see him brought into a save situation than Koch but heck who wouldn't be better than Koch. Jackson has been alright in the role he has been used in, nothing more nothing less. He's pretty much just a we need an inning or two outta you kinda guy at this point in his career. I agree that he's gonna get lit up once in awhile. Hopefully it will be only in situations like last night when it really didn't matter.

PaulDrake
06-09-2004, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
You can see it-earlier he was throwing much better than now-he just seems to be running out of gas. Last night will repeat itself the more he works I hope you're wrong, but I'm more than a little concerned that you're right. As far as Jackson goes, I think the bloom is off the rose.

Hangar18
06-09-2004, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by PaulDrake
I hope you're wrong, but I'm more than a little concerned that you're right. As far as Jackson goes, I think the bloom is off the rose.

I seem to remember him coming into games, where were only down a run or so, and he Puts It Out Of Reach. Didnt he pitch that Yankee game, where we came back, but then he Put it Out of Reach for Us? I think we should come up with a STAT for that .............a P.O.O.R stat (put out of reach)

Mohoney
06-09-2004, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Nard
MJ should be the closer. Ozzie has even said that Marte, Shingo, MJ, and Koch can come in and fill the closer role in certain situations...

... and then throwing MJ out there for long relief in garbage time is just an insult. That should be Politte's job.

Obviously MJ's intensity just wasn't there. Nor should it be; he's not that kind of reliever who comes in to make two scoreless innings in a game that's already over.

He and Marte are still the best men for the closer job.

Garbage long relief should go to Adkins. He's our long man, right?

If he's not, then what is he?

iftypofixit
06-09-2004, 03:45 PM
Jackson should have gotten the called 3rd strike on Thome. He didn't and I don't blame umpires but just keep that in mind. I was there last night and every ball hit in the air was going deep. Lay off, he'll continue to contribute well.

WSox8404
06-09-2004, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
He's old, often injured-and IMO finished as a productive player

You got that right. There was a reason he was out of baseball last year.