PDA

View Full Version : Why the reluctance for Takatsu?

illiniwhitesox
06-09-2004, 08:35 AM
Ozzie has stated he will go by committee right now. I have two questions, which I seek knowledgeable baseball fan's opinions on.

1) Why is Ozzie so reluctant to go with Takatsu? He even goes so far as to say in Spring Training, he never thought he would make the major leagues. This guy has been fantastic in spot duty. At the very least, if you won't use him in the closer role, why tear him down with a comment like that. He just immigrated to the US and had to acclimate himself to an entirely new country.

2) Why does Ozzie still cling to Koch? He stated yesterday that he hopes to be able to have Koch later on in the season be his sole closer. I can't fathom having a closer who can't hold a baserunner, can't throw a strike and who throws a fastball (his best pitch) as if it's batting practice.

eurotrash35
06-09-2004, 08:37 AM
I was wondering the same thing. I thought the comment was a pretty stupid thing to say, especially since he is essentially in the same situation. New addition to a team in a different league, and nobody knew how well he'd do.

Iguana775
06-09-2004, 08:51 AM
But Kroch throws the ball at 95+!!!! Takatsu only throws 'gimick', as some people called it, pitches so he can't be a effective closer.

Dadawg_77
06-09-2004, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Iguana775
But Kroch throws the ball at 95+!!!! Takatsu only throws 'gimick', as some people called it, pitches so he can't be a effective closer.

As sad it is might be, I am not sure that should be in teal as for Ozzie's reasons.

gosox41
06-09-2004, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by illiniwhitesox
Ozzie has stated he will go by committee right now. I have two questions, which I seek knowledgeable baseball fan's opinions on.

1) Why is Ozzie so reluctant to go with Takatsu? He even goes so far as to say in Spring Training, he never thought he would make the major leagues. This guy has been fantastic in spot duty. At the very least, if you won't use him in the closer role, why tear him down with a comment like that. He just immigrated to the US and had to acclimate himself to an entirely new country.

2) Why does Ozzie still cling to Koch? He stated yesterday that he hopes to be able to have Koch later on in the season be his sole closer. I can't fathom having a closer who can't hold a baserunner, can't throw a strike and who throws a fastball (his best pitch) as if it's batting practice.

I odn't quite undersand Ozzie's logic. He says he doesn't feel comfortable using Shingo as a closer but is willing to use Marte. Marte has very limited expereince as a 'closer' in the major league level (though I do think he can handle the job.) Shingo has had success in the majors this season and has 10+ years experience closing games in Japan.

If you beleive in anointing a closer, then Shingo makes as much sense as Marte since both are relatively inexperienced with being thrust into the role at the major league level.

Bob

jackbrohamer
06-10-2004, 08:24 AM
They're paying Koch millions to be the closer and they are going to do everything they can to let him earn their money. I think it's dumb, but remember when they kept throwing this guy out there every fifth when he was their highest paid starter? :jaime

ma_deuce
06-10-2004, 09:20 AM
Takatsu had a tough time in Spring Training, and I think that has had a lasting effect on Ozzie. However, I think Koch's recent performance has put Ozzie on the spot and he has to make a change. Hopefully, Takatsu is ready.

Deuce

Jerko
06-10-2004, 01:10 PM
They're not using Takatsu as the closer yet until Nancy Faust learns how to play "I'm turning Japanese" and "Mr. Roboto" on the organ.

VeeckAsInWreck
06-10-2004, 01:57 PM
I also feel that Takatsu should get a shot at closing. Being that he is the all-time saves leader in Japan should show that Shingo can handle the pressure.

If the Sox want Koch to earn his money, let him carry the equipment or drive the team bus.

iftypofixit
06-10-2004, 02:08 PM
Well supposedly Koch's fastball is going to increase in velocity, and eventually return to the high 90's. I remember hearing this in the first month of the season, but I don't think that 3 more mph on his fastball will give him much more success. Maybe this is what Ozzie is waiting for? I really dont know...

cru71
06-10-2004, 02:39 PM
Koch's blown save last Sunday was the final straw. The Oz really has no choice but to give Takatsu, Marte, or Politte the closer's role. Just pick a guy for a month and see how it goes.

Honestly, can "anointing" one of these 3 guys as the closer be any worse than having watched Koch leak away games in the first 2 1/2 months? When Guillen and K. Williams say "Closer by committee", it translates into "I don't want to make a decision" - which is not good for either the pitching staff or the rest of the squad.

Go with Takatsu and see what happens...

1951Campbell
06-10-2004, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by cru71
When Guillen and K. Williams say "Closer by committee", it translates into "I don't want to make a decision" - which is not good for either the pitching staff or the rest of the squad.

I'm sure the rest of the squad, especially the starting pitchers, don't like seeing Ws turn into Ls when the buulpen door opens and Billy runs out.

Oz and KW didmake a decision...there will be a lot less Billy. It's not as good as choosing one guy other thanBilly, but man, it's better than the status quo.