PDA

View Full Version : Something different this year with Frank

RedPinStripes
06-08-2004, 09:28 PM
Is it me ? Or does it seem like whenever someone hits a nice double or hr, the first person theyt go to in the dugout is frank? I've seen Frank talking to Olivo a lot before at bats. Only thing that could be going on there is Frank giving advice about a pitcher he knows well or sees where an out fielder is playing.

I have no complaints about it at all. It just seems like guys are going to Frank more for advice and Frank seems to be talking to these guys more about hitting then he has in years past.

Whatever the case is, Frank seems alot closer to this team then he has in the past.

Wonder if Ozzie has said anything to Frank? Asking him to step up as a teacher type player . Weather the rumors are true or not about Frank and Ozzie not geting along in the past, I know Ozzie respects what Frank has done.

Palehose13
06-08-2004, 09:38 PM
I don't ever remember a teammate of Frank's (other than David Wells) have a problem with Frank. If I am wrong, please correct me. However, I think it is obvious how much Frank did not care for JM (or at least his style). Frank seems a lot looser this year and smiles a lot more. I like it!

RKMeibalane
06-08-2004, 09:39 PM
I think a lot of Frank's problems over the past few years can be traced back to one man...

****ing idiot ----------------------------------------------> :jerry

fuzzy_patters
06-08-2004, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
I think a lot of Frank's problems over the past few years can be traced back to one man...

****ing idiot ----------------------------------------------> :jerry

I think it started when JM questioned whether Frank was really injured back in 1999. Frank was in the tenth year of a Hall of Fame career, and his manager did not trust him to be honest about his injury. I think it would be awfully difficult for the big guy to play as well after that. Now that he does not have to worry about his manager stabbing him in the back, I am sure he is playing with a lot less on his mind, and it probably explains why he is hitting so well this year.

RedPinStripes
06-08-2004, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Palehose13
I don't ever remember a teammate of Frank's (other than David Wells) have a problem with Frank. If I am wrong, please correct me. However, I think it is obvious how much Frank did not care for JM (or at least his style). Frank seems a lot looser this year and smiles a lot more. I like it!

No, i dont remeber many having a problemn with him. I just see Frank talking to everyone alot more then before. And a lot might have been because of JM. Damn it's good to have his dumb ass outta here.

Palehose13
06-08-2004, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
No, i dont remeber many having a problemn with him. I just see Frank talking to everyone alot more then before. And a lot might have been because of JM. Damn it's good to have his dumb ass outta here.

Agreed.

Frankfan4life
06-08-2004, 11:16 PM
How much more proof does JR need to make Frank a White Sox for life? Frank is good for the Sox. Get it done JR!

pearso66
06-09-2004, 12:19 AM
Didn't Konerko of all people call Frank out to the media last year? I dont nkow if there is a fued between the two, but I seem to remember Konerko saying something. And what made it worse was Konerko was in the middle of the worst season in his career

batmanZoSo
06-09-2004, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Is it me ? Or does it seem like whenever someone hits a nice double or hr, the first person theyt go to in the dugout is frank? I've seen Frank talking to Olivo a lot before at bats. Only thing that could be going on there is Frank giving advice about a pitcher he knows well or sees where an out fielder is playing.

I have no complaints about it at all. It just seems like guys are going to Frank more for advice and Frank seems to be talking to these guys more about hitting then he has in years past.

Whatever the case is, Frank seems alot closer to this team then he has in the past.

Wonder if Ozzie has said anything to Frank? Asking him to step up as a teacher type player . Weather the rumors are true or not about Frank and Ozzie not geting along in the past, I know Ozzie respects what Frank has done.

Why would you seek advice from a guy who's behind only one other righty all time in getting on base?
:)

MRKARNO
06-09-2004, 01:20 AM
:ozzie

"I expect Frank to have an MVP type season"

batmanZoSo
06-09-2004, 01:23 AM
:ozzie

"I expect Frank to have an MVP type season"

What's this "type" all about, Ozzie? :smile:

hellenicsoxfan
06-09-2004, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by pearso66
Didn't Konerko of all people call Frank out to the media last year? I dont nkow if there is a fued between the two, but I seem to remember Konerko saying something. And what made it worse was Konerko was in the middle of the worst season in his career

I believe Konerko called out Frank in 2002 at the All-Star break when Konerko was having a great year and was an All-Star. Right after Konerko came back from the All-Star game, he quickly went downhill and he had a terrible season last year. Should have kept quiet.

As for Frank, whenever someone else hits a homer or makes al great play in the field, Frank seems to be one of the first ones up to congratulate his teammate. I have to agree with all the others, thank God that Manuel is gone.

Deadguy
06-09-2004, 01:26 AM
I read in various articles last season that Thomas was getting on Carlos Lee's case before the season started because he wasn't hitting the weight room enough, and Carlos responded with a 31 homer, 113 RBI season.

Thomas also helped Konerko out in August of last season, to kind of help straighten things out with his swing and his approach to the plate.

Of course this shouldn't be Thomas' responsibility or his job. Konerko and Lee are veterans making more money than Thomas, and they should be responsible for preparing for the season and having the playing experience to know how to get themselves out of a slump.

Plus, Greg Walker is the hitting coach on this team, not Frank.

Of course, Frank can give all the advice he wants, but none of the guys possess the patience and batters eye that Frank possesses, which is what makes him such a great hitter.

Palehose13
06-09-2004, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by Deadguy
I read in various articles last season that Thomas was getting on Carlos Lee's case before the season started because he wasn't hitting the weight room enough, and Carlos responded with a 31 homer, 113 RBI season.

Thomas also helped Konerko out in August of last season, to kind of help straighten things out with his swing and his approach to the plate.

Of course this shouldn't be Thomas' responsibility or his job. Konerko and Lee are veterans making more money than Thomas, and they should be responsible for preparing for the season and having the playing experience to know how to get themselves out of a slump.

Of course, Frank can give all the advice he wants, but none of the guys possess the patience and batters eye that Frank possesses, which is what makes him such a great hitter.

Nice post. These examples makes me think the "Frank is not a leader" claims by the media are wrong. Who would have thought that the media would show Frank in a negative light?

34 Inch Stick
06-09-2004, 08:35 AM
It seems that Frank has finally accepted his role as team leader. The anger seemed to start with him when his recording business and family issues arose. That is natural as it puts anyone in those situations on edge.

Frank just appears to be happier now. Maybe he made a breakthough in therapy or found a new love. Maybe he realized that the contract he has is, for practical purposes, guaranteed at a nice sum of money. Maybe it is that he sees that he still has .300 ability left in him, as Frank was always a stat man.

Whatever it is Frank seems happier with himself and more at ease with the team. I like this Frank.

Dadawg_77
06-09-2004, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by Deadguy

Frank could be like Ted Williams. If you brought up hitting to Ted, he would talk your ear off, and you knew, he knew how to hit. Frank is the best hitter on this team and the greatest player in Sox history, so if I wouldn't begrudge anyone from asking him for a tip.

bigdommer
06-09-2004, 08:40 AM
Frank Thomas has had two things holding him back throughout his career: Jerry Manuel and the Chicago media. And right now, he has washed his hands of both, as Ozzie and Frank are getting along and Frank does not talk to the media.

What I admire about Frank for the past five years or so is that, when everyone (the media) starts talking about how Frank is done, Frank responds by putting up numbers. That goes to show how hard of a worker and how good of a student Frank really is. It's funny how the media thought his career was over, but superior baseball minds (like Baseball Prospectus) predicted last year and this year that Frank would have big years.

rahulsekhar
06-09-2004, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
It seems that Frank has finally accepted his role as team leader. The anger seemed to start with him when his recording business and family issues arose. That is natural as it puts anyone in those situations on edge.

Frank just appears to be happier now. Maybe he made a breakthough in therapy or found a new love. Maybe he realized that the contract he has is, for practical purposes, guaranteed at a nice sum of money. Maybe it is that he sees that he still has .300 ability left in him, as Frank was always a stat man.

Whatever it is Frank seems happier with himself and more at ease with the team. I like this Frank.

Frank's always been dominant when happy. IMO - JM went out of his way to keep Frank uncomfortable between his feeling that Frank wasn't injured (when in fact he had serious injuries twice), and thinking that he needed to keep him on his toes. The result - unhappy, uncomfortable Frank who hit inconsistently, and since he was unhappy, wasn't exactly able to be a good leader. (Although talk to any ex-teammates and they'll say Frank was never a problem in the clubhouse.)

Now Frank's happy, hitting, and leading. IMO - One of the big things JM cost us as White Sox fans (among many other things) was the chance to see arguably the greatest hitter in baseball history. If Frank doesn't have an inconsistent 6 years under JM, and puts up anything close to his prior numbers (or his numbers of this year & last) - the national discussion is who's the greatest hitter ever: Him, Bonds, Williams, and a few others. And Frank's not under any chemical suspicion.

That's how good he is and what we would have seen, IMO if not for Tinker-bell.