PDA

View Full Version : Attendance up 24%

Bucktown
06-08-2004, 10:09 PM
According to the pre-game notes Attendance is up 101,529 over this point last year, a 24.6% increase. Tonight's crowd of 35K+ had to push up that percentage.

gosox41
06-08-2004, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Bucktown
According to the pre-game notes Attendance is up 101,529 over this point last year, a 24.6% increase. Tonight's crowd of 35K+ had to push up that percentage.

Let's hope the the trend from the second half of last year holds true. When this team wins poeple show up. It'll be interesting how they draw the rest of the 5 games against 2 playoff contending teams including one team that's won their division 12 straight years.

Bob

RedPinStripes
06-08-2004, 10:30 PM
:reinsy
"shhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!! You bastards! We're broke!

pudge
06-09-2004, 12:52 AM
With horrid weather to boot... it couldn't be winning, could it?

elrod
06-09-2004, 12:57 AM
Amazing how people show up when we win.

HomeFish
06-09-2004, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by elrod
Amazing how people show up when we win.

The thing is, we HADN'T been winning. We were coming off our worst roadtrip of the season and we still got that crowd.

elrod
06-09-2004, 01:03 AM
The thing is, we HADN'T been winning. We were coming off our worst roadtrip of the season and we still got that crowd.

But over the course of the season we have been winning. Last year we got a huge boost after taking over first from the Royals - just after a disappointing series in Seattle.

TornLabrum
06-09-2004, 01:04 AM
Things are coming together.

Ozzie has them above .500 after June 1, something that Jerry Manuel was unable to do his last few years here. We're in first place, not 8 games out. It was half-price night....

mcfish
06-09-2004, 01:05 AM
With today's attendance at least, it helps that June has come. The summer is starting, schools are letting out, the weather is getting better, and 33,000 people show up. It isn't coincidence. If we keep winning, the attendance will just be all the better.

batmanZoSo
06-09-2004, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Things are coming together.

Ozzie has them above .500 after June 1, something that Jerry Manuel was unable to do his last few years here. We're in first place, not 8 games out. It was half-price night....

Exactly. Starting off hot, being in it from the get go will be the difference. We'll definitely draw over 2 mill, in fact if we're 24% up that means we should end up with 2.356 on the year..which is very good for any team.

And factor in the annual summer increase which happens even in bad start years like last..it should be an even greater increase than last year...we could be averaging 33 a night..or push that 24% up to 27%. We did average around 30 during the summer months I'm pretty sure last year.

hellenicsoxfan
06-09-2004, 02:40 AM

How can attendance be up when everybody knows that NO ONE goes to Sox games?

With the team winning and with Ozzie's attitude and optimism carrying over to the fans, this could be a big year for the Sox.

mantis1212
06-09-2004, 02:54 AM
I wanna see some stats before I get excited. Got any?

DonkeyKongerko
06-09-2004, 03:08 AM
Scary to think that the Sox bats usually HEAT UP in June. This 14-run outburst may be a sign of what is yet to come.

DSpivack
06-09-2004, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by DonkeyKongerko
Scary to think that the Sox bats usually HEAT UP in June. This 14-run outburst may be a sign of what is yet to come. :)

Procol Harum
06-09-2004, 10:46 AM
Bad weather, and a winning team make for a 24% increase in attendance on the South Side--how strange the lack of coverage.

:ozzie

"Everybody knows its the large upsurge from Chicago's huge Venezuelan-American community that has been responsible for the Sox attendance spike..."

TDog
06-09-2004, 11:58 AM
The percentage increase will likely show up as being less after the Cubs weekend. With the loss of capacity, attendance is actually down for games that are sold out.

And I can't get to any Sox games this year, so that's 20 less tickets sold right there.

jabrch
06-09-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by TDog
The percentage increase will likely show up as being less after the Cubs weekend. With the loss of capacity, attendance is actually down for games that are sold out.

And I can't get to any Sox games this year, so that's 20 less tickets sold right there.

(6000 * 3) + 20 = 18,020

I think we will make up those - and then some. If we stay at 24% up from last season, things will be just fine.

steff
06-09-2004, 12:10 PM

Just a tad over 33K last night.

bartmanisgod
06-09-2004, 12:33 PM
Imagine what attendance would be if they cut ticket prices in half so every night was a "half-price night"

GoSox2K3
06-09-2004, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by hellenicsoxfan

How can attendance be up when everybody knows that NO ONE goes to Sox games?

LOL! Interesting that both the Cubs and Sox played at home yesterday and the turnout was: Cubs attendance 39k, Sox attendance 33k. Certainly looks like the media and Cub fans are right in saying EVERYONE in Chicago is a Cubs fan and only a HANDFUL of people are Sox fans!!

With the team winning and with Ozzie's attitude and optimism carrying over to the fans, this could be a big year for the Sox. [/B]
I think winning is the biggest factor. Also, perhaps all these renovations (Fan Deck, smaller upper deck w/roof, etc.) are finally taking the edge off of the myth that Sox Park is a terrible place to see a game.

batmanZoSo
06-09-2004, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by GoSox2K3
LOL! Interesting that both the Cubs and Sox played at home yesterday and the turnout was: Cubs attendance 39k, Sox attendance 33k. Certainly looks like the media and Cub fans are right in saying EVERYONE in Chicago is a Cubs fan and only a HANDFUL of people are Sox fans!!

I think winning is the biggest factor. Also, perhaps all these renovations (Fan Deck, smaller upper deck w/roof, etc.) are finally taking the edge off of the myth that Sox Park is a terrible place to see a game.

And when we get those emerald seats, all of it will be history. People will come. They'll come from Iowa, for reasons they can't even imagine. Watching the Sox in a revamped, lush green park will bring back memories so thick they'll have to brush them from their faces. This field..this game. It's a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good..and could be again. People will come 2k3...people will most definitely come.

And I'm spent :D:

WSox8404
06-09-2004, 06:29 PM
I love it. Seeing fellow Sox fans by the hoard is great. If we keep winning, this summer is going to be huge for attendance.

ewokpelts
06-09-2004, 06:33 PM
And the numbers are up DESPITE a couple of rainouts(which raises the avg.).
Gene

gosox41
06-09-2004, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by pudge
With horrid weather to boot... it couldn't be winning, could it?

Or the 1/2 price nights. Look at tonight's crowd. It's quite a bit less, though rain was in the forecast.

Bob

doublem23
06-10-2004, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by HomeFish

90 degrees and sunny + Half-Price Night + First Place Team + Schools starting to let out = Better and better crowds

DSpivack
06-10-2004, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
And when we get those emerald seats, all of it will be history. People will come. They'll come from Iowa, for reasons they can't even imagine. Watching the Sox in a revamped, lush green park will bring back memories so thick they'll have to brush them from their faces. This field..this game. It's a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good..and could be again. People will come 2k3...people will most definitely come.

Don't forget recently drafted Joe Jackson, uh, I mean Ray Liotta!

SSN721
06-10-2004, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo

Nice job :gulp: :smile:

batmanZoSo
06-10-2004, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by DSpivack
Don't forget recently drafted Joe Jackson, uh, I mean Ray Liotta!

The best was during the beginning of the movie, they showed a baseball card of Joe Jackson and it was Ray Liotta's picture. I searched, but couldn't find it. It would've been perfect for the occasion.