PDA

View Full Version : New Commercial


fado
06-08-2004, 07:07 PM
Please tell me everyone just saw that ad. Us versus Them. Ending with the mayor likes us better. That is what we need to embrace that is what I have wanted to see. Great ad!

Palehose13
06-08-2004, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by fado
Please tell me everyone just saw that ad. Us versus Them. Ending with the mayor likes us better. That is what we need to embrace that is what I have wanted to see. Great ad!

Saw it. Loved it. Was that done by Brooks? If so, he definitely caught the "spirit" of Sox fans. :D:

fado
06-08-2004, 07:43 PM
According to my source it was. He likes to read WSI. Felt that it was time to embrace the differences.

Palehose13
06-08-2004, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by fado
According to my source it was. He likes to read WSI. Felt that it was time to embrace the differences.

Well then, Brooks (if you are reading), great job! I especially liked "Pride" at the end.

Brian26
06-08-2004, 07:51 PM
Damn, I missed it. Hopefully they play it again.

Uncle_Patrick
06-08-2004, 07:53 PM
I saw it. Awesome!

itsnotrequired
06-08-2004, 07:54 PM
That ad is awesome! Curious to see the "backlash"...

Uncle_Patrick
06-08-2004, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by itsnotrequired
That ad is awesome! Curious to see the "backlash"...


Cubs fan will probably be confused as to who the ad is talking about.

Palehose13
06-08-2004, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Damn, I missed it. Hopefully they play it again.

I just got an e-mail about the ad and it has a link to view the commercial. If you are registered to whitesox.com you should have gotten it too.

CanOfCorn
06-08-2004, 08:05 PM
http://lists.mlb.com/u/477122/13420392 (broadband)

http://lists.mlb.com/u/477123/13420392 (dialup)

Jerry_Manuel
06-08-2004, 08:22 PM
Well, that didn't take long.

Not even 3 months on the job and he's done better then Gallas.

bafiarocks03
06-08-2004, 08:24 PM
that was an awesome commercial! Hilarious!!

mantis1212
06-08-2004, 08:30 PM
This is driving me nuts, the Windows Media Player will not play the file for me... Anyone else having this problem?

DSpivack
06-08-2004, 08:57 PM
And the mare likes us better.

Love that.

rahulsekhar
06-08-2004, 08:58 PM
Excellent....


Of course - how long before that's a media topic: how the Sox themselves have such an inferiority complex that they need to compare themselves to the Cubs in their advertising....

batmanZoSo
06-08-2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Palehose13
I just got an e-mail about the ad and it has a link to view the commercial. If you are registered to whitesox.com you should have gotten it too.

Excellent. What a nice treat.

Edit..

Well I am registered over there..I have like 2,000 posts. How come I didn't get one mlb.com? :angry:

Can one of you send me an email? :?:

Malgar 12
06-08-2004, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by mantis1212
This is driving me nuts, the Windows Media Player will not play the file for me... Anyone else having this problem?

you may need to update your windows media player. If it isnt version 9 it wont work.

Go to the help menu, then about media player to check.

There should also be a check for updates option in the help menu.

Its a cool commercial.

mantis1212
06-08-2004, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Malgar 12
you may need to update your windows media player. If it isnt version 9 it wont work.

Go to the help menu, then about media player to check.

There should also be a check for updates option in the help menu.

Its a cool commercial.

Thanks, I just caught it during the game, loved it! The Bad News Bears theme song does it for me :D:

ScottyTheSoxFan
06-08-2004, 09:10 PM
i love it. this is better than the comercials now with miller and budwieser taking shots at each other.

Vernam
06-08-2004, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by mantis1212
Thanks, I just caught it during the game, loved it! The Bad News Bears theme song does it for me :D:
:D: I missed the BNB reference -- nice catch!

My wife just got all excited, ran to get me after she saw it tonight (I was messing w/ Tivo and missed it). Congrats to all you guys who've been posting forever -- it's definitely like Brooks is channeling WSI.

They shouldn't stop there, though. Go all out for the counter-cultural angle. The Sox are the biggest underdogs of all time, IMO, playing second fiddle to the pathetic Cubbies! Sox fans may whine, but there really is a fierce pride lurking beneath our persecution complex!

VC

Bucktown
06-08-2004, 09:20 PM
They: Have fans that know the lastest fashion trends
We: Have fans that know the score

Bucktown
06-08-2004, 09:24 PM
They: Leave early to eat tappas
We: Grab a churro in the 9th

gosox41
06-08-2004, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by fado
Please tell me everyone just saw that ad. Us versus Them. Ending with the mayor likes us better. That is what we need to embrace that is what I have wanted to see. Great ad!

Best commercial I've seen since from this team 1994 when the Sox had Frank, McMahon and Jordan doing commercials together and also the other sets of commcerials where they personalized the players by their nicknames/roleso n the team.



Bob

Unregistered
06-08-2004, 09:33 PM
LOVE the "SOX PRIDE" logo at the end. They should definately play that up and market it. I'd buy a shirt... :D:

Bucktown
06-08-2004, 09:47 PM
Them: Cursed
Us: Blessed

Frankfan4life
06-08-2004, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by CanOfCorn
http://lists.mlb.com/u/477122/13420392 (broadband)

http://lists.mlb.com/u/477123/13420392 (dialup)
Thanks for the links COC. I missed the commercial on TV but just checked out the link. The commercial is terrific! I wonder if we'll get a counterattack. Would make for a nice war wouldn't it?

TornLabrum
06-08-2004, 10:14 PM
Best Sox ad ever/. I haven't laughed this hard in ages.

hsnterprize
06-08-2004, 10:32 PM
OUT-DOGGONE-STANDING!!!!! Make a commercial to fire Sox fans up...BRILLIANT!!!!!

Jerko
06-08-2004, 10:36 PM
Yeah, but the GOVERNOR likes THEM better and he outranks the piddly-ass mayor .

Palehose13
06-08-2004, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
Yeah, but the GOVERNOR likes THEM better and he outranks the piddly-ass mayor .

Ahhhhh...but that is what the "mare" wants you to think. :D:

mjmcend
06-08-2004, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by mantis1212
This is driving me nuts, the Windows Media Player will not play the file for me... Anyone else having this problem?

Yeah I am having the same problem. If you figure it out I would love to know how you did it. All the people saying how good it is makes me want to see that much more...

Bucktown
06-08-2004, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by mjmcend
Yeah I am having the same problem. If you figure it out I would love to know how you did it. All the people saying how good it is makes me want to see that much more...
Are you running DOS 3.2 or 3.3?

thepaulbowski
06-08-2004, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
Yeah, but the GOVERNOR likes THEM better and he outranks the piddly-ass mayor .

I think we know who runs this state, and he's not a Cubs fan. :D:

Realist
06-08-2004, 10:45 PM
Great marketing. Fire up the Sox fans and just watch the attendance shoot through the (new) roof. Finally they are reaching out and touching our nerves.

The "How to raise attendance" threads will be replaced with "Anybody have an 'in' to get good tickets?" threads.

We hate the Cubs. There's no better time than now to exploit that fact. We've had the Cubs rammed down our throats since last October and as of right now, we have the better record.

More of the same, please.

Bucktown
06-08-2004, 10:47 PM
Them: 4th place
Us: 1st

Clarkdog
06-08-2004, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Realist
Great marketing. Fire up the Sox fans and just watch the attendance shoot through the (new) roof. Finally they are reaching out and touching our nerves.

The "How to raise attendance" threads will be replaced with "Anybody have an 'in' to get good tickets?" threads.

We hate the Cubs. There's no better time than now to exploit that fact. We've had the Cubs rammed down our throats since last October and as of right now, we have the better record.


That is exactly right, after seeing that ad I immediately bought tickets. Now I always take in plenty of games - but I felt that ad deserved my business. If I felt that way - there had to be plenty of others.

Great job, Brooks. Way to rally the fan base. Keep reading our board - the successful strategy to marketing this franchise is all right here.

Palehose13
06-08-2004, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Bucktown
Them: 4th place
Us: 1st

I also thought about that, but didn't want to jinx it! :o:

DC Sox Fan
06-08-2004, 11:07 PM
out ****ing standing

scottyl
06-08-2004, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered
LOVE the "SOX PRIDE" logo at the end. They should definately play that up and market it. I'd buy a shirt... :D:

It would be sad if they DIDN'T make the "Sox: Pride" logo at the end into a t-shirt. Make it affordable. They can pop up everywhere.

hsnterprize
06-08-2004, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by DC Sox Fan
out ****ing standing My drill sergeants in basic training used to say that all the time. It's a military thing. HOOOAHHHH!!!!

Or to explain, either "HUA", or "HUAH". One of my former commanding officers explained to me this way (with my own touch of Cubs vs. Sox fan attitude added for emphasis)...

HUA is an acronym for "Heard, Understood, and Acknowledged."

HUAH (in case you have to deal with a Cubs fan), means "Heard, Understood, and acknowledged, ***hole."

And she's a Colonel serving in Iraq now.

Kudos to you, Army Colonel Jill Morgenthaler. She was a babe, and one helluva commanding officer.

cheeses_h_rice
06-08-2004, 11:13 PM
They showed this commercial on the Jumbotron between innings tonight at the Cell, and the crowd went nuts for it.

I especially like the dig at Ronnie Woo-Woo.

:gulp:

Viva Magglio
06-08-2004, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
They showed this commercial on the Jumbotron between innings tonight at the Cell, and the crowd went nuts for it.

I especially like the dig at Ronnie Woo-Woo.

:gulp:

I was there tonight as well, and they showed the ad at least three times during the game.

As much as we loved it (and I sure as hell did), how much do you want to bet that sports radio and/or the media tears us a new one over it?

cheeses_h_rice
06-08-2004, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Viva Magglio
I was there tonight as well, and they showed the ad at least three times during the game.

As much as we loved it (and I sure as hell did), how much do you want to bet that sports radio and/or the media tears us a new one over it?

**** 'em.

Who cares?

HawkDJ
06-08-2004, 11:18 PM
Brooks for President!

TornLabrum
06-08-2004, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Viva Magglio
I was there tonight as well, and they showed the ad at least three times during the game.

As much as we loved it (and I sure as hell did), how much do you want to bet that sports radio and/or the media tears us a new one over it?

And if they do, my response to them is:

:whocares

Palehose13
06-08-2004, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Viva Magglio
As much as we loved it (and I sure as hell did), how much do you want to bet that sports radio and/or the media tears us a new one over it?

Isn't it pretty telling of how bad the media is when we start to worry about how they are going to poke fun of our commercial. (yes, it did enter my mind too) However, I have to agree and say: Who Cares?????

SEALgep
06-08-2004, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Palehose13
Isn't it pretty telling of how bad the media is when we start to worry about how they are going to poke fun of our commercial. (yes, it did enter my mind too) However, I have to agree and say: Who Cares????? I look forward for them to give it more attention.

gosox3072
06-08-2004, 11:37 PM
This is BY FAR the best white sox commercial ive ever seen! I saw it during the game and sox fans gave it a nice ovation every time it came on. i just hope they show it during the soxcubs series so every cub fan can see it!

inta
06-08-2004, 11:39 PM
i had no idea this was a tv ad.
they played it between innings on the JT at tonights game it and got a standing ovation in most parts of the stadium.

amazing ad. if only for the SOX PRIDE bit at the end.
huge respect to BB on this new campaign.

batmanZoSo
06-08-2004, 11:41 PM
That is the best commercial I've ever seen, period, not just the Sox. Outstanding job by Brooks.

I was able to watch it the first time just by clicking the link whitesox=life sent me, but then I couldn't save it. Well I saved it but then it wouldn't play cause it was "corrupt" or some ####.

Viva Magglio
06-08-2004, 11:46 PM
This has to rank up there as one of the best ever. I think one for the team photo is the 1993 one with Mike Ditka and Jerry Reinsdorf.

dllrbll7
06-08-2004, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
They showed this commercial on the Jumbotron between innings tonight at the Cell, and the crowd went nuts for it.

I especially like the dig at Ronnie Woo-Woo.

:gulp:

It even got a better response than the pizza and airplane race!!!

WhiteSox = Life
06-09-2004, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
That is the best commercial I've ever seen, period, not just the Sox. Outstanding job by Brooks.

I was able to watch it the first time just by clicking the link whitesox=life sent me, but then I couldn't save it. Well I saved it but then it wouldn't play cause it was "corrupt" or some ####.

Ain't no thang, Bats. Like I mentioned, I went through a bunch of trouble to figure it out myself just to play it! If you ever wanna see it and can't figure out how to save it, you can always just continue to reuse the link.

S'all good.

:smile:

mikef1331
06-09-2004, 12:09 AM
This is the BEST Sox commercial ever! I was cracking up when it came on during the commercial break.

My favorite part was this:

THEM:Believe they are cursed.
US: We Agree

Keep it up Boyer!

anewman35
06-09-2004, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by inta
i had no idea this was a tv ad.
they played it between innings on the JT at tonights game it and got a standing ovation in most parts of the stadium.

amazing ad. if only for the SOX PRIDE bit at the end.
huge respect to BB on this new campaign.

It played once before the game, once in the early innings, and again near the end (with a "Sox Pride Encore Presentation" logo). Got loud cheers each time.

DSpivack
06-09-2004, 12:54 AM
Best Sox commercial since Good Guys Wear Black; for whatever reason, I loved those.

DGSWR81
06-09-2004, 01:17 AM
Beautiful! That is quite possibly the best commercial ever. :)

mantis1212
06-09-2004, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by mikef1331
This is the BEST Sox commercial ever! I was cracking up when it came on during the commercial break.

My favorite part was this:

THEM:Believe they are cursed.
US: We Agree

Keep it up Boyer!

YES that was the best dig- I think they're on to something :cool:

inta
06-09-2004, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by anewman35
It played once before the game, once in the early innings, and again near the end (with a "Sox Pride Encore Presentation" logo). Got loud cheers each time.

umm, yeah.
you quoted me to repeat exactly what i said?

am i missing something here?

:?:

mdep524
06-09-2004, 03:11 AM
I saw in on the scoreboard and LOVED the ad!! Great job Brooks. The thing I really enjoyed was the OVATION the fans gave after we all saw it on the scoreboard. To get the stadium to cheer like that was very impressive!

Cubbiesuck13
06-09-2004, 05:11 AM
Originally posted by hsnterprize
My drill sergeants in basic training used to say that all the time. It's a military thing. HOOOAHHHH!!!!

Or to explain, either "HUA", or "HUAH". One of my former commanding officers explained to me this way (with my own touch of Cubs vs. Sox fan attitude added for emphasis)...

HUA is an acronym for "Heard, Understood, and Acknowledged."

HUAH (in case you have to deal with a Cubs fan), means "Heard, Understood, and acknowledged, ***hole."

And she's a Colonel serving in Iraq now.

Kudos to you, Army Colonel Jill Morgenthaler. She was a babe, and one helluva commanding officer.


i always thougth it was hoorah!

and i have no idea what it means, other than marines use it for hello, goodbye, yes, no, food, work, gun, bomb, etc...

voodoochile
06-09-2004, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by inta
umm, yeah.
you quoted me to repeat exactly what i said?

am i missing something here?

:?:

That they agreed with you...

Dan H
06-09-2004, 06:40 AM
This was a great ad, probably the best I have seen for the Sox in years. It is time the Sox took on the Cubs. Like it or not, the Cubs are competition. The ad really caught the spirit of how we can't stand the Disney atmosphere on the north side. More importantly, it looks like Boyer is really listening to Sox fans, if this is indeed his work. Regardless, this is the type of thing we need to see from the marketing department. I hope we see more like it. And Ronnie Woo-Woo can go take a leap.

hsnterprize
06-09-2004, 06:58 AM
The only way the Sox can overcome this wave of "Cubbie-hype" is to take it head on...and this is an AWESOME first step. As long as the Sox keep doing things like this, putting up billboards along the expressways, and do some other creative marketing, the battle will keep starting to sway to "our side of town."

A drink to Brooks...finally, some action to rid the world of the effects of Cubbie Kool-Aid!!!

:gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

DaveIsHere
06-09-2004, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by rahulsekhar
Excellent....


Of course - how long before that's a media topic: how the Sox themselves have such an inferiority complex that they need to compare themselves to the Cubs in their advertising....

Who cares, screw the media-----that commecial almost brought a tear to my eye, pretty clever, better than any on the past.

wdelaney72
06-09-2004, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by mantis1212
Thanks, I just caught it during the game, loved it! The Bad News Bears theme song does it for me :D:

Factually speaking, the music is "1812 Overture" (Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky - 1840-93).

I think it's safe to conclude the music was composed well before the Bad News Bears.

Rocky Soprano
06-09-2004, 08:38 AM
I was also at the game and LOVED the new commercial.
On my drive home, listening to the post game, I am pretty sure they said that this was the work of Boyer's and that they are looking into making similar type of commercials. They said, look for them to start getting help from fans to possibly make some kind of comparison part II.

GREAT JOB Mr. Boyer!

SOX: PRIDE

fledgedrallycap
06-09-2004, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by wdelaney72
Factually speaking, the music is "1812 Overture" (Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky - 1840-93).

I think it's safe to conclude the music was composed well before the Bad News Bears.

Was it written before Caddy Shack, though :D:

just_visiting
06-09-2004, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by Cubbiesuck13
i always thougth it was hoorah!

and i have no idea what it means, other than marines use it for hello, goodbye, yes, no, food, work, gun, bomb, etc... For Marines, it is hoorah. In the Army, it's hooah.

The explanation of its meaning above is only one of many floating around. No one knows for sure where it came from. Soldiers returning from Viet Nam had picked up a slang term of "ooah" that the Vietnamese used for "yes." I think that was a bastardization of the French "oui." Nam vets would say "ooah" when they meant yes, and that is another possible explanation of where it came from, as it was not in use in the Army prior to Viet Nam.

GoSox2K3
06-09-2004, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by Palehose13
Isn't it pretty telling of how bad the media is when we start to worry about how they are going to poke fun of our commercial. (yes, it did enter my mind too) However, I have to agree and say: Who Cares?????

I don't care what they think either, but it does show what we Sox fans are up against. Everything Sox-related is painted in a bad light and the media never lets up:
Drunked idiots at Wrigley: Rowdy Cub faithful
Extremely rare incidents at USCF: Typical Sox fan trash.

Cub fans booing: Best fans in baseball! (LOL)
Sox fans booing: Poor sportsmanship.

Anyway, That was a great commercial - i emailed the link to a bunch of friends.

Dadawg_77
06-09-2004, 08:50 AM
Any one remember the 8.3 miles billboard? I loved the ad.

Hey Brooks if you are reading this, another cool idea for an ad would be an at bat like Frank's to beat the Twins last year. Just show the at bat with Hawk announcing, and crowd going crazy. Then at the end flash the Sox pride logo.

Rocky Soprano
06-09-2004, 08:54 AM
They: Have the media on their side.

We: Dont Need Them (check the standings)

DaveIsHere
06-09-2004, 09:04 AM
My wife had a great line they could use


they: need someone to sit in their scoreboard,
we: need someone to load in the fireworks.

HebrewHammer
06-09-2004, 09:06 AM
Great ad, they played it at the ballgame last night to big cheers from the 33k+ in attendance. It's about time we started an "Us vs. Them" marketing campaign.

Philo-Sox-er
06-09-2004, 09:09 AM
grat one, rocky!

SoxFan78
06-09-2004, 09:12 AM
BEST SOX COMMERCIAL EVER!!! If that doesn't get you excited to be a Sox fan, I dont know what will.

Mickster
06-09-2004, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Bucktown
Are you running DOS 3.2 or 3.3?

LOL!!! :D:

fado
06-09-2004, 09:27 AM
I still can't get this thing to play. I'm trying to show some of these silly cubs fans at work and media player is not working. Anyone got any ideas?

Philo-Sox-er
06-09-2004, 09:34 AM
THEM: Nancy-Lads
US: Work for a living

bigdommer
06-09-2004, 09:40 AM
Coolest thing I have ever seen. And it had a point. I love it.

Hangar18
06-09-2004, 09:44 AM
This is the 1st Time that I can actually say GOOD JOB BROOKS!
The commercial actually REFLECTS the feelings of SOX FANS.
Was REFRESHING to see the SOX actually CONNECT WITH THEIR FANBASE ........unbelievable to sit in the stands, see that on the scoreboard..........and FEEL CONNECTED TO THE TEAM.
THE CROWD ROARED after that .......... excellent job

FoulkeFan
06-09-2004, 09:46 AM
I loved this ad!!! Beats the crap out of those "Ozzie" commercials.

Dadawg_77
06-09-2004, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Philo-Sox-er
THEM: Nancy-Lads
US: Work for a living

how about

US: Nancy plays the Organ

Philo-Sox-er
06-09-2004, 09:52 AM
Excellent, dadawg! Thanks for the ditorial suggestion!

just_visiting
06-09-2004, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Philo-Sox-er
ditorial ????

SoxOnTop
06-09-2004, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by rahulsekhar
Excellent....


Of course - how long before that's a media topic: how the Sox themselves have such an inferiority complex that they need to compare themselves to the Cubs in their advertising....

I disagree. This is the one time of year that we can openly compare ourselves since we'll be playing against them next week. Of course if it continues, then we will catch even more static

delben91
06-09-2004, 10:01 AM
Outstanding, outstanding add. Way to go Brooks, bring more of the same!

eriqjaffe
06-09-2004, 10:01 AM
I, too, must chip in with a hearty, "Excellent work, Mr. Boyer!"

...

They: Go to the park to get smashed.
We: Go to the park to watch the opponent get smashed.

They: Have to skip work to see baseball.
We: Can do both in the same day.

They: Blame a spectator for choking.
We: Know whose fault it really is.

Dadawg_77
06-09-2004, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by just_visiting
????

He forgot the E

jabrch
06-09-2004, 10:04 AM
I can't wait until Friday, June 25, when that clip gets played over and over and over again during the game!

Philo-Sox-er
06-09-2004, 10:06 AM
Sorry. Recovering from carpule tunnel syndrom surgery...typing still not as sharp as it used to be.

Jerko
06-09-2004, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
how about

US: Nancy plays the Organ

THEM: Alou uses his to soften his hands

just_visiting
06-09-2004, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
He forgot the E Ah, thank you. I just couldn't figure it out.

southsidesoxfan1
06-09-2004, 10:09 AM
Them: Can't put together consecutive winning seasons
Us: See you in October

Sox Pride!!!

bennyw41
06-09-2004, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
I can't wait until Friday, June 25, when that clip gets played over and over and over again during the game!

Did the commercial only play at the park? Or was it on TV too? I missed it due to school.

Vernam
06-09-2004, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by hsnterprize
HUAH (in case you have to deal with a Cubs fan), means "Heard, Understood, and acknowledged, ***hole."

And she's a Colonel serving in Iraq now.

Kudos to you, Army Colonel Jill Morgenthaler. She was a babe, and one helluva commanding officer.

http://www.supportusamilitary.org/Morgenthaler.html

Love that Google.

VC

Baby Fisk
06-09-2004, 10:35 AM
Awesome, awesome piece. The music was perfect. Made me want to run outside and roar primal, tribal screams at terrified pedestrians.

As we say in my country: "BEAUTY, EH?!" :cool:

:sox
PRIDE

Vernam
06-09-2004, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
I especially like the dig at Ronnie Woo-Woo.

Sorry for the multiple posts, but can any old timer confirm whether that guy's the same one (or a relative?!) who used to be at Sox park in the 60s/70s? Always yelled the batter's name, with a WOO in the middle.

Buddy. WOO! Bradford. WOO!

Over and over and over . . .

Not having been to Wrigley in 20 years, I have no way to tell if it's the same guy. And it's not exactly worth the trip!

VC

Rush20
06-09-2004, 10:45 AM
Loved It! I like the blue/red caption for the Cubs and the black/siler caption for the SOX. Favorite....

They think they are cursed....

...We agree!

LOL!!! :D:

Rocky Soprano
06-09-2004, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by bennyw41
Did the commercial only play at the park? Or was it on TV too? I missed it due to school.

It was also played on TV.

kittle545feet
06-09-2004, 11:09 AM
finally the ad i have been waiting for! i can't begin to tell you how awesome the whole thing was. it is about time we fire some shots back at the idiot cub fans and the media. can't wait to see more! :kermit

nasox
06-09-2004, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Any one remember the 8.3 miles billboard? I loved the ad.

Hey Brooks if you are reading this, another cool idea for an ad would be an at bat like Frank's to beat the Twins last year. Just show the at bat with Hawk announcing, and crowd going crazy. Then at the end flash the Sox pride logo.

Or they could show that at-bat pitch by pitch to a heartbeat and show fans in slow motion going from merely clapping to cheering and jumping around with the heart beat speeding up as frank fouled off pitch after pitch. Then you could flash the sox pride logo at the end with the crowd going crazy.

HomerCoach
06-09-2004, 11:17 AM
Any chance to get a clip on the web?

nasox
06-09-2004, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by HomerCoach
Any chance to get a clip on the web?
Check out the first page of this thread.

BearSox
06-09-2004, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by wdelaney72
Factually speaking, the music is "1812 Overture" (Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky - 1840-93).

I think it's safe to conclude the music was composed well before the Bad News Bears.

Actually most of the Bad News Bears music came from Bizets opera "Carmen" including the overture and Toreadors song. Sorry, the music teacher in me took over when I saw that post :smile: BTW GREAT COMMERCIAL!!!!!!!

Risk
06-09-2004, 12:25 PM
After a lousy first half of a work day, that commercial brings me nothihng but smiles.

I'm very happy with Brooks. Hopefully this is just the start of good things to come.

:)

Risk (aka Mr. Happy)

Lip Man 1
06-09-2004, 01:12 PM
Somewhere Mike Veeck is smiling.

Lip

Baby Fisk
06-09-2004, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Somewhere Mike Veeck is smiling.

Lip
So is his dad. :cool:

vegyrex
06-09-2004, 01:24 PM
I haven't liked Sox commercials for the last 5 years. This new one is easily the best one since the "Good Guys Wear Black" days.

Keep it up. :smile:

HomeFish
06-09-2004, 01:32 PM
I think they actually overplayed it at the game, but the crowd loved it. The "Have won as recently as 1917" part got the most cheers by far; I love that we can be tongue-in-cheek like that.

Fungo
06-09-2004, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Philo-Sox-er
THEM: Nancy-Lads
US: Work for a living

THEM: Day Games
US: Jobs

joeynach
06-09-2004, 03:43 PM
Uh my computer wont let me view it, streamed or downloaded. I tries to open it with windows media players but it just says error this file type is not supported. How did you guys view it. What program do you need to watch it?

nasox
06-09-2004, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by joeynach
Uh my computer wont let me view it, streamed or downloaded. I tries to open it with windows media players but it just says error this file type is not supported. How did you guys view it. What program do you need to watch it?

what version do you have of windows? I think you need version 9 to stream it. Try and copy and paste the link into a new browser windo (IE, netscape, whatever you use). Thats what I did.

Irishlawyer
06-09-2004, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by DSpivack
Love that.


I thought Jerry did not concern himself with the North Side.

1951Campbell
06-09-2004, 04:08 PM
THEY: root for a baseball park.
WE: root for a baseball team.

White_Sock
06-09-2004, 04:15 PM
what version do you have of windows? I think you need version 9 to stream it. Try and copy and paste the link into a new browser windo (IE, netscape, whatever you use). Thats what I did.

Thank you nasox - this worked for me.

WHITE SOX: 1
CUBS: will always be losers

This beats the pants off of that crappy internet flash video that some moron flub fan made. Classic.

dpbyron
06-09-2004, 05:51 PM
I LOVE IT!

THANKS BROOKS!

TornLabrum
06-09-2004, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Vernam
Sorry for the multiple posts, but can any old timer confirm whether that guy's the same one (or a relative?!) who used to be at Sox park in the 60s/70s? Always yelled the batter's name, with a WOO in the middle.

Buddy. WOO! Bradford. WOO!

Over and over and over . . .

Not having been to Wrigley in 20 years, I have no way to tell if it's the same guy. And it's not exactly worth the trip!

VC

Same guy. When he tried the act a few times when I was out in the left field seats, he got shouted down. Sox fans weren't buying. Cubs fans were, so he became a Wrigleyville landmark, just like the statue of Harry Caray.

Unregistered
06-09-2004, 06:18 PM
Best I could do touching it up from the screen capture:

Jjav829
06-09-2004, 07:34 PM
Great commercial! While I was watching it, I got the feeling like it was created by WSI. Great job by Brooks. Reading this site is paying off for him already. :smile:

gosox41
06-09-2004, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by hsnterprize
OUT-DOGGONE-STANDING!!!!! Make a commercial to fire Sox fans up...BRILLIANT!!!!!

So what did you thing about the new commercial??? :D:


Bob

StillMissOzzie
06-09-2004, 11:29 PM
Some wishful thinking here, but:

Them: Outdraw us in May
Us: Outdraw them in October

SMO
:gulp:

DSpivack
06-10-2004, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by Irishlawyer
I thought Jerry did not concern himself with the North Side.

Well, JR might not, but Brooks does. :D:

batmanZoSo
06-10-2004, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by StillMissOzzie
Some wishful thinking here, but:

Them: Outdraw us in May
Us: Outdraw them in October

SMO
:gulp:

That's awesome. Should be aired the day after we clinch the division and they're eliminated.

Hey, if everyone thinks the Sox are pety and classless, let's go with it. If you have the stigma, you might as well get to have fun right?

Sox PA
06-10-2004, 11:02 AM
Here is a copy of the Sox Pride Logo from the commercial.

If anyone hears about t-shirts, please post a link, I think they would be a hot item.

Maybe the Sox should use the Pink Floyd song, Us and Them for their new theme song.

Unregistered
06-10-2004, 11:05 AM
They'd be fools not to make merchandise of it.

Tmar281
06-10-2004, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
THEM: Alou uses his to soften his hands


couldn't stop laughing at this one

DumpJerry
06-11-2004, 05:29 PM
I've always felt that after I obtain ownership (upon a takeover from JR), I would do what I can to fire up the crosstown rivalry. This certainly would be in line with my plans. Other things I would do include, but are not limited to, shooting off the fireworks every time a final losing score for the Cubs posts during a home game, replaying any homers Prior and Wood give up between innings when the Cubs are playing at the same time as the Sox, posting signs at all gates of a Cubs logo with a red line through it and announcing a dress code (no Cubs stuff, no suits). These and other approaches will fire up the troops (i.e., us-the fans) for the battles...... :smile:

bridgeport_mark
06-11-2004, 09:50 PM
remember hizzoner in Atlanta last year wearing a flubs hat????????

bridgeport_mark
06-12-2004, 11:25 AM
just look at da mayor beaming in a flubs cap on the front page
of the Cubune today and see why mention of this guy drags down
an otherwise great put -it -to -them ad.

Viva Magglio
06-12-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by bridgeport_mark
just look at da mayor beaming in a flubs cap on the front page
of the Cubune today and see why mention of this guy drags down
an otherwise great put -it -to -them ad.

Meanwhile at Holy Sepulchure Cemetery in Worth:

:hizzoner
"Eleanor, what the hell is our son doing wearing that cap?"

pudge72
06-14-2004, 08:08 AM
I loved the commercial. Finally we get something like that

Railsplitter
06-14-2004, 08:14 AM
Saw it on the big board at friday night's game. Loved it!:D:

zach074
06-14-2004, 11:45 AM
Can someone type up all the comparisons they make because i havent seen it and my computer wont work fast enough to view it. thanks

Hokiesox
06-14-2004, 12:24 PM
Thanks, I just caught it during the game, loved it! The Bad News Bears theme song does it for me :D:
You mean the 1812 overture?

StillMissOzzie
06-14-2004, 03:21 PM
I've got another one:


Them: National League

Us: Yep, not in our league

SMO
:gulp:

itsnotrequired
06-14-2004, 03:56 PM
A bit off topic but a super-fun Brewers commercial came out a few years ago (old County Stadium) to spark interest in the team. It featured Jose Valentin and Bob Uecker knocking on the door of some house. Jose asked if Bob was sure this was the place. Bob replied saying something about how "this guy throws the best parties". The door opens and standing there is Bernie Brewer in full costume. Jose and Bob walk inside and there is a slew of other baseball mascots in full costume (the chicken, the goof, etc.) as well as the sausages from the sausage races and my favorites, McGriff the Crime Dog and the Little Ceasers Pizza mascot. The ad ends with the camera fading away from the "house" at which point it is revealed that it is the shack in the outfield stands that Bernie would hang out in during games before sliding into the giant beer after home runs. Funny stuff.

Anyone remember this one?