PDA

View Full Version : Media Misperceptions of the "Second City" Continued

Philo-Sox-er
06-08-2004, 04:21 PM
In an ESPN.com article about the best/worst interleague matchups, here is what they say about the Cross-Town Classic:

WHO: Chicago White Sox vs. Chicago Cubs.

WHEN and WHERE: June 25-27 at U.S. Cellular Field; July 2-4 at Wrigley Field.

WHY: Unlike New York, where the Mets-Yankees would be special even if both teams were in the basement, this intra-city rivalry only really heats up when both teams are in contention. That's the case this year, with the White Sox holding down a portion of the AL Central and the Cubs, having stalled with injuries, ready to reassert themselves in the crowded NL Central. Cubs fans love to remind White Sox rooters that the South Siders had Sammy Sosa, only to deal him to the Cubs. For a city without a pennant-winner on either side of town since -- gulp -- 1959, could this be the year for an all-Windy City World Series?

The bold typed emphasis is mine...

Are they kidding? The Cross-Town is always, even if both teams are in last place, full of tension and venom. In fact, these teams represent bi-polar opposites to most Chicagoans which matters year round, even during the offseason. ESPN's Sean McAdam really missed the ball on this one!

Did he forget that Chicago held the Cross-Town classic well before interleague play--i.e., the games didn't even count in the standings!? How about the Spring Training attendance to Sox-(#@!&%) games? They even televise those...

Another example of the the over-hyping of New York and the undermining of Chicago.

SoxFan78
06-08-2004, 04:34 PM
This guy has probably never been to one of the games, or even set foot in Chicago. As far as I can remember, the interleague series has always been one of the best series of the year, no matter what the records were. I remember when the cubs had a great team, they got swept by the sox, and the season went downhill from there.

Also, "Cub fans like to remind sox fans about Sammy Sosa". Any true sox fan doesnt care that Sosa is on the North side because the sox have the better right fielder anyways.

Foulke You
06-08-2004, 04:41 PM
Wow, that guy is completely full of crap. I'd argue that Cubs vs Sox has just as much if not more heat and venom than Red Sox vs Yankees. The Cubs/Sox divide in this city goes back to the turn of the century!! Yanks/Mets only goes back to the '60s. There is no comparison. I've been to about 80% of all the crosstown games since interleague play began in 1997 and I can tell you that each year, the crowd is jacked up for it like its the World Series regardless of records. This clown probably has never been to a Cubs/Sox game. Typical ESPN- "MLB Revolves around the East Coast...Specifically New York"

SoxFan76
06-08-2004, 04:42 PM
This is the second time I've seen a Sammy Sosa trade reference today. The other was in a different ESPN article. Now at the time, that had to look like a sweet deal for the Sox. Looking at his stats, his best year with the Sox he hit .233(!) 15HR, 70RBI, and 150 strike outs. Am I missing something? Admittedly, I didn't pay attention to baseball at that time. Bell's best year (with the Sox) he hit .255 25 and 112. Of course, Sosa turned out to be a major home run hitter, and now had more than 500 in his career, but did anybody realize his power potential with the Sox? Personally, I like to talk about the Garland trade from he Cubs. That seemed to work out alright for us.

jackbrohamer
06-08-2004, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by SoxFan76
This is the second time I've seen a Sammy Sosa trade reference today.

At least George Bell won a division title his first year here, Steroid-man didn't win one for 10+ years.

ESPN is pitiful.

SouthSideHitman
06-08-2004, 05:31 PM
That's a load of crap. I went to a Yankees-Mets game in 2001 in Shea Stadium and lemme tell you, it wasn't that heated. I was in the lower box a little to the right of home plate and I was surrounded by Yankees fans who were allowed to pretty much take over the game with little challenge from the few Mets fans I saw. After the Yanks scored a few runs, the whole crowd was pretty out of it. Even when the Mets stormed back to pull out an unlikely win in the ninth, I didn't feel half of the electricty that I've felt at Sox-Cubs games where the score was a lot less close. At those games, the crowd was into it and vocal even way up in the corner of the upper deck and when the game got boring, the fans turned to arguing and trying to drown out the various cheers or boos from the other's fans.

bigdommer
06-08-2004, 05:38 PM
I read that blurb on ESPN this morning and I became immediately pissed. I wanted to e-mail the guy. First, like was mentioned, this game always mattered, hence, it was played before interleague. I hate New York, and this is the reason why. Even people in Baltimore, Philly, and Boston hate New York for this same reason...they think New York is the greatest place on Earth.

My best friend is a Cub fan, and he never has once mentioned the Sosa trade for two reasons: 1)Although Sosa outperformed Bell, he didn't make the Cubs any better. And 2) he admits that Maggs is much better and much more valuable than Sosa. I hate the Cubs and Sosa, but true Cub fans, like my friend, are the first to admit that Sosa is not as special as the numbers and media make him seem.

pearso66
06-08-2004, 05:52 PM
I read this today, and when I saw the Sosa thing, 2 things came to mind. Sox fans don't care that we traded away Sosa, and the average Cub fan doesnt even know he played anywhere outside of the Cubs.

jfo go go sox
06-08-2004, 05:56 PM
Does it really matter? We know that this is the best interleague rivalry out there. If the national media was smart, there would be more coverage -- but Dewey did defeat Truman, right? :moron

DSpivack
06-08-2004, 06:28 PM
My favorite memory of a Sox-Cubs is Sean Lowe picking off Mark Grace in the 8th inning, which I believe was 1999 [though my memory may fail me]. Not exactly two great teams that year.

CanOfCorn
06-08-2004, 06:48 PM
I showed my girlfriend (a Yankees fan) that article, and she thought that was bull, too.

She said Yankees fans really don't care about the Mets. They have 26 world championships, for chrissakes. The only thing that was heated about that one was Piazza-Clemens, and one of those guys isn't there anymore.

Good ol' East Coast bias.

voodoochile
06-08-2004, 07:19 PM
*** are they talking about? Ohmigawd is that the dumbest thing ever posted on the Internet?

Of course ESPN is still probably confirming that the Sox actually still play in Chicago..

:boston
"There is no rivalry between the Sox and the Flubbies. Both the teams are cursed and their fans understand each other on an intuitive level. They were supposed to meet in last year's World Series for the first time since before Babe Ruth walked the hollowed ground of Fenway."

:moron
"I think they mean the White Sox, Pete. While I agree that the league would be much better off with only one team in Chicago, my lovable blue clad losers and the adorable hunky Sham-ME* - I'd give him heart kisses if you know what I mean..."

:boston
"In conclusion, I would just like to say that while the preceding message was clearly heartfelt, I am completely baffled by his referring to my boys in Red as the White Sox. Does anyone know what he is talking about?"

:moron
(necking with his Sham-ME* baseball card)... oh Sham-ME*... your rippling muscles, your amazing bat. Cork me you hot stud...hmmm? Are you still here? I was almost ready to move on to Mark Prior..."

wilburwood
06-08-2004, 07:25 PM
finally both cubs and Sox fans can agree on something. that guy has absolutely no idea of anything dealing with baseball in Chicago. even the most misinformed cub fan is more savy than that moron

Max Power
06-08-2004, 07:27 PM
I was at the very first Sox-Cubs game in '97 and it wasn't sold out. Seems like it took a game for people to realize that now the games were going to count. Since that game it seems like the games get bigger every year. Fans of other teams wouldn't understand.

voodoochile
06-08-2004, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Max Power
I was at the very first Sox-Cubs game in '97 and it wasn't sold out. Seems like it took a game for people to realize that now the games were going to count. Since that game it seems like the games get bigger every year. Fans of other teams wouldn't understand.

I was there too and if that game wasn't a sellout, it wasn't by much. Every single one of those games has drawn over 40K at SoxPark.

VC Edit: I stand corrected. It only drew 36K. The next game drew 44K and it has really never looked back.

batmanZoSo
06-08-2004, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Philo-Sox-er
In an ESPN.com article about the best/worst interleague matchups, here is what they say about the Cross-Town Classic:

The bold typed emphasis is mine...

Are they kidding? The Cross-Town is always, even if both teams are in last place, full of tension and venom. In fact, these teams represent bi-polar opposites to most Chicagoans which matters year round, even during the offseason. ESPN's Sean McAdam really missed the ball on this one!

Did he forget that Chicago held the Cross-Town classic well before interleague play--i.e., the games didn't even count in the standings!? How about the Spring Training attendance to Sox-(#@!&%) games? They even televise those...

Another example of the the over-hyping of New York and the undermining of Chicago.

When we're both in the crapper, it just doesn't generate any national attention. But it's always HUGE here like you said. Very poor job, guy. He's just thinking of his ESPN NY-Boston-centric universe.

Uncle_Patrick
06-08-2004, 08:31 PM
This is definately one of the most uninformed statements I've ever read. Maybe this writer meant that ESPN only cares about the Chicago rivalry when both teams are in contention.

My old boss was from NY and said while there was definately a Mets/Yankees rivalry, its semi-friendly. People will root for the other team during important games. The NY rivalry has nothing on Chicago.

Actually, this whole article in kind of dumb. I mean, are people that excited about a Detroit vs. Florida match up because of I-Rod? Or the Braves vs. the Indians? Or the Boston vs. LA going to be intense because Frank McCourt couldn't buy the Red Sox and instead bought the Dodgers? Is this article really trying to convince us that most interleague match-ups aren't too exciting?

IMO the best match-ups are always the traditional/geographical match-ups (Chicago, NY, LA vs. Anahiem, SF vs. Oakland, etc.), but that's just my opinion.

WhiteSox = Life
06-08-2004, 09:32 PM
It seems to me that if you're going to pay any attention to ESPN, do so by watching the highlights or looking at the pictures. The articles and the analysis just aren't any good and really not worth your time.

Frankfan4life
06-08-2004, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by pearso66
I read this today, and when I saw the Sosa thing, 2 things came to mind. Sox fans don't care that we traded away Sosa, and the average Cub fan doesnt even know he played anywhere outside of the Cubs.
That last part is funny, but true!

Whitesox029
06-08-2004, 11:48 PM
How in hell can they say that a Mets-Yankees series would be special even if both teams were in the basement when the yankees have made the playoffs every year since interleague started? Jesus.

RKMeibalane
06-09-2004, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by jackbrohamer
At least George Bell won a division title his first year here, Steroid-man didn't win one for 10+ years.

ESPN is pitiful.

He won actually won a division title during his second season with the Sox, your point is well taken. The Sox made the trade because they believed they were close to contention, and Bell was considered the "final piece of the puzzle." Sosa was terrible during his time with the Sox. He was the 1990-91 version of D'Angelo Jimenez.

batmanZoSo
06-09-2004, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
He won actually won a division title during his second season with the Sox, your point is well taken. The Sox made the trade because they believed they were close to contention, and Bell was considered the "final piece of the puzzle." Sosa was terrible during his time with the Sox. He was the 1990-91 version of D'Angelo Jimenez.

He also blew prodigious chunks with the CUBS from 92-97. I never, not once, regretted that trade.

Railsplitter
06-09-2004, 08:32 AM
Just goes to show that the national media know only about New York, L.A., and inside the Beltway.