PDA

View Full Version : Team brass meets about closer role

Mickster
06-08-2004, 01:38 PM
Here is the fanball.com article LINK (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=fanball-whitesoxteambrassmee&prov=fanball&type=lgns).

Don't know what changes will be made.....

DaveIsHere
06-08-2004, 01:40 PM
I like that one line in there "Since the first place sox can give fantasy owners a lot of saves"

That is great, but you know what?

:ozzie
"Beely is still my closer!!"

HebrewHammer
06-08-2004, 01:42 PM
Starting to sound more and more like Mr. Zero is going to take over the closers role.

batmanZoSo
06-08-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by DaveIsHere
I like that one line in there "Since the first place sox can give fantasy owners a lot of saves"

That is great, but you know what?

:ozzie
"Beely is still my closer!!"

We haven't had but like 10 save situations this year. I don't agree with that Yahoo analysis. They key for us is pounding the ball so as to eliminate a lot of save situations. Or at least minimize the one-run 9th inning lead. I don't even consider a 3 run lead a save situation. Anyone should be able to nail that down. Basically if they hit consistently, this whole thing won't be a big problem.

TomParrish79
06-08-2004, 01:50 PM
They key for us is pounding the ball so as to eliminate a lot of save situations. Or at least minimize the one-run 9th inning lead

We're not going to be able to beat every team by 5 or more runs every game this year, its just not realistic.

The one run 9th inning is a part of baseball and everyteam knows that, thats why closers are so important.

We got to have a guy that can finish up games, Koch cant do that.

soxtalker
06-08-2004, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
We haven't had but like 10 save situations this year. I don't agree with that Yahoo analysis. They key for us is pounding the ball so as to eliminate a lot of save situations. Or at least minimize the one-run 9th inning lead. I don't even consider a 3 run lead a save situation. Anyone should be able to nail that down. Basically if they hit consistently, this whole thing won't be a big problem.

The problem is that 1 or 2 run situations are much more likely against good pitching -- the sort of situation one can expect to see in big games down the stretch, against good teams, and in the play offs.

Mickster
06-08-2004, 02:01 PM

We've had 3 save situations in the last 5 games.......

Iguana775
06-08-2004, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by HebrewHammer
Starting to sound more and more like Mr. Zero is going to take over the closers role.

I thought I read that the reason he signed with the Sox cause they told him he'd have at least a shot at the closers role.

PaulDrake
06-08-2004, 02:11 PM
"An astonishingly bad 8.86 ERA in save opportunities" .. What more can you say?

Rush20
06-08-2004, 02:42 PM

That's been the frustrating thing about Koch. Ozzie hands him the 9th inning with no one on base and usually at least a 2-run lead. He proceeds to let men get on base and then before you know it, the tying or winning run is at the plate. It's not like he comes is with two men on and no outs. He also blew saves when the SOX came back and won in the 9th or extra innings. He easily is responsible for a 5-7 game swing. I'm not expecting him to save every situation as they are all professionals trying to win, however we can't keep losing critical games in this fashion.

mrwag
06-08-2004, 02:43 PM
Hopefully this is a good sign and that mgmt has learned from last year's experience. Let's not wait too long for things to happen.

Unregistered
06-08-2004, 02:43 PM
Not sure why the brass would get together to say "Hey, lets give Billy another chance to suck." It's probably a safe bet that he's not our closer anymore. [crossing fingers/]

Yorke97
06-08-2004, 02:54 PM
Really, all I have to say is it's about time. Koch is a salary-sucking has-been, or never-was.

mantis1212
06-08-2004, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by PaulDrake
"An astonishingly bad 8.86 ERA in save opportunities" .. What more can you say?

That says it all. We've been headhunting here at WSI

soxtalker
06-08-2004, 03:01 PM
If they do decide to make a change, I wonder how they will handle Koch's role. You don't want to make him look like he's bannished completely, because you'd still like to see if he (a) has some value to us and (b) has some value in a trade.

Unregistered
06-08-2004, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker
If they do decide to make a change, I wonder how they will handle Koch's role. You don't want to make him look like he's bannished completely, because you'd still like to see if he (a) has some value to us and (b) has some value in a trade. The only value he has in a trade is if we pick up his RIDICULOUS salary - which we won't. His sucking really puts management in a tough spot.

SEALgep
06-08-2004, 04:45 PM
ESPN 1000 supposedly reported that it will be a closer by committee until further notice.

1951Campbell
06-08-2004, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
ESPN 1000 supposedly reported that it will be a closer by committee until further notice.

Fine, as long as Billy gets left off the committee.

Risk
06-08-2004, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by 1951Campbell

I second that notion, counselor.

Risk

gosox41
06-08-2004, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by 1951Campbell

FWIW, Guillen just said in his post game interview taht Marte and Takatsu will share the closers spot for now depending on the situation.

But he did say he may use Koch in the future,

So the news is 50/50.

Bob