PDA

View Full Version : Fight Night

DaveIsHere
06-08-2004, 11:59 AM
How many fights will there be tonight on 1/2 price night??

Palehose13
06-08-2004, 12:01 PM
If there are visiting fans it should be interesting considering the rep that Philly fans have.

SEALgep
06-08-2004, 12:02 PM
:threadsucks

bobj4400
06-08-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
:threadsucks

It may suck, but it is appropriate considering the embarrassing behavior that has become the norm on Tuesday nights at the Cell. I have been offered a free club level ticket for tonight's game and am not sure whether to accept. I began a Monday/Tuesday night boycott 2 years ago b/c of the idiotic behavior and this would be my first return...

bennyw41
I agree with the thread suckiness. Plus, how would you "count" them?

alohafri
The thing that will keep fights low is that the sCrUBbies are playing at night too. It will be too late for their drunks to ride down the Red Line to cause problems.

LongLiveFisk
06-08-2004, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by alohafri
The thing that will keep fights low is that the sCrUBbies are playing at night too. It will be too late for their drunks to ride down the Red Line to cause problems.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

There seem to be much bigger issues at the Cell when the sCrUBS are out of town, because if they can't show up at Wrigley, they'd rather be ass-pains on the other side of town.

daveeym
06-08-2004, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by alohafri

Good point someone needs to note that if that's the case tonight. Then Hangar needs to alert the media.

sas1974
Originally posted by bobj4400
It may suck, but it is appropriate considering the embarrassing behavior that has become the norm on Tuesday nights at the Cell. I have been offered a free club level ticket for tonight's game and am not sure whether to accept. I began a Monday/Tuesday night boycott 2 years ago b/c of the idiotic behavior and this would be my first return...

I agree w/ your initial post. Let's not glorify the fact that people feel compelled to act like a-holes in our park just bc they saved a few bucks that they can now spend on more booze. The media is doing a fine job of that all by themselves. There's no need to help them out on our site.

I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance and you don't see me starting any fights.

PS-Take the ticket. I am sure you'll be quite safe in the climate controlled 300-level.

Hangar18
Ive never met a Philly fan ........ so not sure if the
Imbecile Factor is High or not, but Im guessing there will NOT
be as many Fights tonite because the CUBS are home also
tonite..... they'll be busy at their own game instead.

DaveIsHere
Originally posted by LongLiveFisk
You took the words right out of my mouth.

There seem to be much bigger issues at the Cell when the sCrUBS are out of town, because if they can't show up at Wrigley, they'd rather be ass-pains on the other side of town.

That is why I am curious, but we still may end up with the Scrub fans that can't get tickets to their own team's game because that organization is scalping them theirselves

delben91
06-08-2004, 12:14 PM

I imagine the unfortunate incidents associated with 1/2 price nights are few and far between on the club level. Take the ticket!

bobj4400
06-08-2004, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by delben91
I imagine the unfortunate incidents associated with 1/2 price nights are few and far between on the club level. Take the ticket!

Turns out the ticket is actually for a skybox, I thought he said club level. Needless to say, I will be accepting the invitation. Too bad it is too hot to wear my WSI hooded sweatshirt!

PaleHoseGeorge
06-08-2004, 12:18 PM
Cubs tickets are hard to get. In fact their game is probably a sellout. Meanwhile the Sox let you in for half-price if you tote an empty can of soda pop-- no further obligation... Perfect for anyone with no plans and looking to enjoy themselves on a toasty summer evening in Chicago.

There will be plenty of Flubbie fans at the Cell, and I hardly think it's their presence that precipitates the fights. It's the walk up promotion itself that does it.

Yeah, yeah... cut off beer sales and add more security... I'm waiting for someone to suggest the Sox start turning away anyone wearing a Sosa jersey shirt or Flubs cap, too.

What a great way to increase team profits this promotion is.

Hondo
06-08-2004, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Cubs tickets are hard to get. In fact their game is probably a sellout. Meanwhile the Sox let you in for half-price if you tote an empty can of soda pop-- no further obligation... Perfect for anyone with no plans and looking to enjoy themselves on a toasty summer evening in Chicago.

There will be plenty of Flubbie fans at the Cell, and I hardly think it's their presence that precipitates the fights. It's the walk up promotion itself that does it.

Yeah, yeah... cut off beer sales and add more security... I'm waiting for someone to suggest the Sox start turning away anyone wearing a Sosa jersey shirt or Flubs cap, too.

What a great way to increase team profits this promotion is.

Couldn't have said it better.
There are more than 38,000+ Cubs fans so there will be a ton.
That plus warm weather + night game + half price =
Potential nightmare.

I still have faith in our contingent though that they won't retaliate and just alert security, no matter how inept they are.

Palehose13
06-08-2004, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Hondo
I still have faith in our contingent though that they won't retaliate and just alert security, no matter how inept they are.

I sure hope you are right! Nothing would be better (except a Sox victory, of course).

Blueprint1
06-08-2004, 12:31 PM
This is a stupid question who the heck cares??

Hondo
06-08-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Blueprint1
This is a stupid question who the heck cares??

It is the stupid question in the sense to speculate about how many people may get injured at the game...howeva(best Stephen A. Smith imitation) but it has been an issue at the past few 1/2 price nights and is keeping the door open to the White Sox Fans criticism.

skottyj242
06-08-2004, 12:46 PM
But if people can't go to the Flubs game they might make the trek down just to cause trouble.

Hangar18
06-08-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by skottyj242
But if people can't go to the Flubs game they might make the trek down just to cause trouble.

You could be right ........I'll make sure to keep a tab on how many cub fans I see tonite

skottyj242
06-08-2004, 12:52 PM
I hope everything goes smoothly because I'm taking my dad for his birthday and he's not as quick as he once was with the left hook.

Palehose13
06-08-2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
You could be right ........I'll make sure to keep a tab on how many cub fans I see tonite

LOL...Hangar, are you able to enjoy the game at all? If you think you are tallying too much, it may be time to delegate.

Cellview22
06-08-2004, 12:56 PM
I don't think there will be much of a difference between other fight nights and tonight. Just because the Cubs are playing a few miles north at the same time shouldn't make a difference, because all those Scub fans who start fights at the Cell probably don't watch the Cubs games anyway. To them, it's an image thing...you think they follow the Cubs every game..yeah right!

They'll be there tonight in full force :angry: .. but I HOPE I'm wrong.

Jerko
06-08-2004, 01:01 PM
Maybe it will be a nice night. Maybe the Cub fans that do show up tonight will be cheering for...............the White Sox since the Phillies could be one of the teams the Cubs have to beat out for a potential wild-card berth in the playoffs. Maybe Cub and Sox fans will get along tonight, both pulling for the same team; coming together as one in unison as brethren of the same city against those infidels from Philly. A common goal; a White Sox winner; will ironically pull the fan bases of both the Cubs and Sox together tonight; and there will be no fights. Sox fans, in return, will be rooting for the Cubs on the rightfield scoreboard against those dastardly Cardinals; showing that we, as Chicagoans, can have a bond not felt anywhere else in this country. We can have picnics togheter for the upcoming crosstown classic, which this year will TRULY be a classic with our new found northside friends, all because of this one night; tonight; that we banded together as one and put all this silliness behind us.............

skottyj242
06-08-2004, 01:05 PM
GO CARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DaveIsHere
06-08-2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
Maybe it will be a nice night. Maybe the Cub fans that do show up tonight will be cheering for...............the White Sox since the Phillies could be one of the teams the Cubs have to beat out for a potential wild-card berth in the playoffs. Maybe Cub and Sox fans will get along tonight, both pulling for the same team; coming together as one in unison as brethren of the same city against those infidels from Philly. A common goal; a White Sox winner; will ironically pull the fan bases of both the Cubs and Sox together tonight; and there will be no fights. Sox fans, in return, will be rooting for the Cubs on the rightfield scoreboard against those dastardly Cardinals; showing that we, as Chicagoans, can have a bond not felt anywhere else in this country. We can have picnics togheter for the upcoming crosstown classic, which this year will TRULY be a classic with our new found northside friends, all because of this one night; tonight; that we banded together as one and put all this silliness behind us............. :chunks

Jerko
06-08-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by DaveIsHere
:chunks

Don't barf; it was in teal. Then again, giving Cub fans credit for knowing the Phillies are in fact a National League team IS pretty sickening. Sorry. Barf away!

Mickster
06-08-2004, 02:35 PM
Warm Weather + Cold Beer + Sox Game = Kumate :D:

SOXintheBURGH
06-08-2004, 03:28 PM
Ive never met a Philly fan ........ so not sure if the
Imbecile Factor is High or not, but Im guessing there will NOT
be as many Fights tonite because the CUBS are home also
tonite..... they'll be busy at their own game instead.

Hangar, I live with about 8 Philly fans in my apartment in Penn State.. they are okay fans. They have a reputation for being loud and fighting and vile at Eagles games, but they know baseball and like their team a lot, especially with their new stadium (which is unbelievable, FYI). They arent known to be starting fights at Phillies games, just at football. Although, they will turn on their team at any given moment. A pop fly with 2 on base will result in a chorus of boos everytime that player bats again in his career, they hold grudges. Scott Rollen came into town once when I was at the old Vet and it was hilarious. Last game I was at in Philly they were down about 4 runs in the 8th and the entire park was chanting "LET'S GO FLYERS!!!" Knowledgable of their team, yes. Imbecile Factor = Off the chart at times.

LongLiveFisk
06-08-2004, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
Maybe Cub and Sox fans will get along tonight, both pulling for the same team; coming together as one in unison as brethren of the same city against those infidels from Philly. A common goal; a White Sox winner; will ironically pull the fan bases of both the Cubs and Sox together tonight; and there will be no fights. Sox fans, in return, will be rooting for the Cubs on the rightfield scoreboard against those dastardly Cardinals; showing that we, as Chicagoans, can have a bond not felt anywhere else in this country. We can have picnics togheter for the upcoming crosstown classic, which this year will TRULY be a classic with our new found northside friends, all because of this one night; tonight; that we banded together as one and put all this silliness behind us.............

I just want you to know that you damn near got me in trouble here at work browsing WSI as I let out a loud chortle reading this!

:)

ma_deuce
06-08-2004, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Mickster
Warm Weather + Cold Beer + Sox Game = Kumate :D:

KUMATE!!! KUMATE!!!

Jerko
06-08-2004, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by LongLiveFisk
I just want you to know that you damn near got me in trouble here at work browsing WSI as I let out a loud chortle reading this!

:)

Sorry!

The Cheat
06-08-2004, 04:33 PM
There is a game at the dump 8 miles north at the same time tonight, so I predict a fairly tame half price night.

steff
06-08-2004, 04:37 PM

But of course..

Heaven for bid you pay attention to the game.

pearso66
06-08-2004, 05:18 PM
I have to nominate this for worst thread ever. Why are you dwelling on the fights? I thought that was the media's job, and then Hangar was supposed to chime in tomorrow and say that it was cub fans who started it, and so on and so forth. You should have a category that says Who cares, and I bet that it would win. ok time for Arnold

:whocares

ode to veeck
06-09-2004, 12:20 AM
so, how many fights were there tonight?

DaveIsHere
06-09-2004, 08:12 AM
I heard none! Imagine that. This thread isn't to dwell on the fights but to try and get to the bottom of the cause

bobj4400
06-09-2004, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by ode to veeck
so, how many fights were there tonight?

I was in a skybox behind homeplate just next to press row, so I had a great view of the bleachers and didnt see any fights the whole night. I was shocked and surprised. Cant speak for the UD though. How was the crowd up there?

SSN721
06-09-2004, 08:46 AM
I was in a skybox behind homeplate just next to press row, so I had a great view of the bleachers and didnt see any fights the whole night. I was shocked and surprised. Cant speak for the UD though. How was the crowd up there?

It was pretty lively on the third base side of the UD but no fights that I saw.

Dadawg_77
06-09-2004, 08:52 AM
Good to hear, sounds like the Sox put a clamp down on it and it worked.

steff
06-09-2004, 10:49 AM

We were in 44 on the upper level and saw no fights either.

Hangar18
06-09-2004, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Good to hear, sounds like the Sox put a clamp down on it and it worked.

Clamped down on number of Cub fans allowed to enter park

Cub Fans + Cell = Fights / Drunkenness/Running on Field/Assaulting Umpires
Cub Fans - Cell = No Fights

Cub Fans + Wrigley = Drunkenness/Fights/Assaulting Pitchers/StealingHats from Players/ThrowingCellPhones/ThrowingGarbage

Think its safe to say our experiment has a SHOCKING conclusion. Concludes Cub Fans Cause Trouble

samram
06-09-2004, 11:23 AM
They CLAMPED down on the number of Cub fans that were allowed to enter the park.

Cub Fans + Cell = Fights / Drunkenness/Running on Field/Assaulting Umpires
Cub Fans - Cell = No Fights

Cub Fans + Wrigley = Drunkenness/Fights/Assaulting Pitchers/StealingHats from Players/ThrowingCellPhones/ThrowingGarbage

Think its safe to say our experiment has a SHOCKING conclusion. Concludes Cub Fans Cause Trouble

What exactly did they do to keep Cubs fans out? Maybe I missed something. It could be the new alcohol restrictions, but I don't want to sound crazy.