PDA

View Full Version : Was Koch scared?

fuzzy_patters
06-08-2004, 11:36 AM
Article from today's Daily Southtown...

If White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen needed to be swayed in deciding the immediate future of Billy Koch, Seattle's Jolbert Cabrera might have done the trick.

It was Cabrera who drew a bases-loaded walk from Koch on Sunday night to pin a 5-4 loss on the Sox. But what's more, the pinch hitter told a Seattle newspaper that after the count reached 3-1 in that ninth-inning at-bat, he never had any intention of swinging at another pitch thrown by the Sox closer.

"I crowded the plate and I was going to take the next two pitches," Cabrera said. "He was going to hit me, he was going to walk me or I was going to strike out looking. He was probably more nervous than I was. I didn't think he could throw two strikes right there."

It certainly sounds like Billy is afraid to throw strikes and the other teams know it. If Koch is that emotionally fragile, he has no chance of ever being a consistent closer.

Koch might not be able to save his job (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/081sd3.htm)