PDA

View Full Version : Hawkisms cathing on?

joeynach
06-08-2004, 12:32 PM
There is phenomenon catching on in and around chicago and its residents. Hawkisms are become the cool and funny catch phrases. I have been hearing them everywhere I go, all my friends are saying them, and there is always a situation (sports or not) where they fit. I was at U of I this past weekend hanging out with some friends, partying and all. We were playing bag toss all weekend and everyone would always call "STRETCH or GET UP" when the bag was midlight and needed it to land on the board. Whenever someone strikes out, or leaves a game, or anything where they are removed from something, someone always says "HE GONE". Im hearing hawk everywhere for everyting. AWSOME!!

jabrch
06-08-2004, 12:35 PM
I had a softball game and I heard "stretch" a few times!

skottyj242
06-08-2004, 12:37 PM
On Sunday my dad recieved his masters and when they called his name and walked across the stage I stood up and yelled "HE GONE." He got a chuckle out of it.

soxnut
06-08-2004, 12:39 PM
I've been hearing that myself every now and then. I've attended a few Bremen ballgames over the last month or so, and some of the people in the stands were saying "He gone".

And the friend that I was with and I had been using that phrase alot since the season started for alot of things. And we were saying it too while watching the Bremen games, and the other people looked at us and tought it was funny, and cool.

I think the Sox shold try to capitalize on the Hawkisms somehow. Hey Brooks Boyer------are you reading this????????????? :gulp:

CubKiller
06-08-2004, 12:45 PM
Hawk's "he gone!" is sometimes yelled when someone gets ousted from the home poker games I play in.

I'm somewhat fearing the inevitable time when the phrase gets hurled at me though.

wdelaney72
06-08-2004, 12:59 PM
"He Gone!" is becoming a staple at my workplace.

Takatsu's "Frisbee" is my newest favorite.

Hangar18
06-08-2004, 01:03 PM
cub morning zoo DJ Mike Murphy has been "borrowing" Hawkisms for quite some time. Today, he used "Center Cut", "waving Wendell (wally) and "Can of Corn"

alohafri
06-08-2004, 01:05 PM
I hope Aggrivated Sox Fan Bob from Lincoln Park doesn't read this thread. It could be enough to send him over the edge.

Palehose13
06-08-2004, 01:27 PM
I suppose it is time for a palehose13 girlfriend update (the woman who did not like baseball prior to being with ph13).

1. Hawkisms are now a part of our daily conversations. She especially loves "He gone!" and uses it frequently and with a lot of enthusiasm.

2. While working last night I had the flub game on in my office (b/c of lack of baseball) and she came in for a bit. Her comments made were: "They (the cubs) look like a little league team with that stupid logo and those little kid primary colors." and after a pan or two of the crowd "Ugh. Those people are idiots!" I then chuckle and she asked me what I was laughing about. I said that I really only wanted to turn you into a Sox fan, not a cub hater. She replied with:"What's not to hate? This team is ridiculous." I really love her. :D:

DaveIsHere
06-08-2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Palehose13
I suppose it is time for a palehose13 girlfriend update (the woman who did not like baseball prior to being with ph13).

1. Hawkisms are now a part of our daily conversations. She especially loves "He gone!" and uses it frequently and with a lot of enthusiasm.

2. While working last night I had the flub game on in my office (b/c of lack of baseball) and she came in for a bit. Her comments made were: "They (the cubs) look like a little league team with that stupid logo and those little kid primary colors." and after a pan or two of the crowd "Ugh. Those people are idiots!" I then chuckle and she asked me what I was laughing about. I said that I really only wanted to turn you into a Sox fan, not a cub hater. She replied with:"What's not to hate? This team is ridiculous." I really love her. :D:

That is great, my wife is the same way. we have rain out tickets and she said something about the game on Sunday, and I was like what, and she said "we are going to the game on Sunday" I was like awesome, i won't complain, so I am going to the game on Sunday. But she is always watching the Sox with me and commenting and she teases my Flub fan neighbor even more than I do!!

Cellview22
06-08-2004, 02:06 PM
I was flipping through the channels the other day when I noticed there was a reality type show on MTV which was being filmed in Merrilleville so I kept it there for a while and watched it.

The basis of the show was Three high school guys were competing through a number of dates to take the prom queen to prom, and in the end all the high school students voted for the winner. On the last day, they had to give speeches in front of the students in the school auditorium on why they deserve to take her to prom. After the first guy gave his speech, the second guy came up to the podium and he said something to the effect of "I have 2 words for [the first contestant]... HE GONE!" The entire auditorium erupted, it was pretty funny. I wonder if the MTV filming crew had any idea that the phrase was a Hawkism.

Baby Fisk
06-08-2004, 02:17 PM
"He gawn!" and "Mercy!" are creeping into my regular vocabulary. HAWK RULES! :cool:

Fridaythe13thJason
06-08-2004, 02:24 PM
I find myself telling people where to go with a Hawkism. If we are in a store or such and a friend asks where a certain section is...I tell him/her that is "Way Back."

batmanZoSo
06-08-2004, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Cellview22
I was flipping through the channels the other day when I noticed there was a reality type show on MTV which was being filmed in Merrilleville so I kept it there for a while and watched it.

The basis of the show was Three high school guys were competing through a number of dates to take the prom queen to prom, and in the end all the high school students voted for the winner. On the last day, they had to give speeches in front of the students in the school auditorium on why they deserve to take her to prom. After the first guy gave his speech, the second guy came up to the podium and he said something to the effect of "I have 2 words for [the first contestant]... HE GONE!" The entire auditorium erupted, it was pretty funny. I wonder if the MTV filming crew had any idea that the phrase was a Hawkism.

Funny story about that show...

I was doing work on a house near Crown Point and an MTV lady came up to check on the progress because they were going to film the show there. This was a 1.5 million dollar house. But it wasn't nearly finished, so nothing happened.

Then my mom comes back from a graduation party for her husband's, sister's grandson and it was one of the kids on the show. She showed me a picture of him but I couldn't remember him from the one episode I saw parts of. His name was Michael I think, and I believe he made a few cuts. He had black hair, looked Italian maybe..

It's a small world after all.

batmanZoSo
06-08-2004, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by UICJason
I find myself telling people where to go with a Hawkism. If we are in a store or such and a friend asks where a certain section is...I tell him/her that is "Way Back."

If I worked at Jewel or something I'd use that.

"Hey where are the vegetables?"

"Way back...there ya go..keep going...stretch!...dad gummit, he's in the bread aisle...he juuuuuuuuust missed it. Mercy!"

Cellview22
06-08-2004, 02:35 PM
LMAO! :D:

They're "WAY BACK" near the "CAN OF CORN".

eurotrash35
06-08-2004, 03:43 PM
hawkisms > *

my friends and I have been using them since "he'll grab some bench"

Realist
06-08-2004, 04:08 PM
Working in a 4am bar, the conversation can get a little raunchy after 2am. When I notice that it has crossed the line I'll let out a "Get foul.... IT WILL!!"

When a customer is obviously over served of "full" as we like to call it, I let out a "HE GAWN!!"

When a hubba hubba hottie walks in it warrants a "MERCY!!"

Big tipper? "YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD..... YESSS!!"

Pouring a couple of shots? "Little looper. Little ducksnort."

bobj4400
06-08-2004, 04:11 PM
My favorite Hawkism that comes out while playing poker with friends is when the river (fifth card) out would make a straight or flush for a hand and someone blurts out "THAT'S TROUBLE!"

Foulke You
06-08-2004, 05:20 PM
Allow me to add to our "Lexicon of Hawk" Discussion :D: :

:hawk
"That was Scalded! A PEA!!"

"They've got a little of my money in (insert city name here)"

"You never want to get caught inbetween"

"Sit Back, Relax, and Strap It Down"

"Carlos is gonna have to Bow his Neck right here"

"He's going to have to Cinch it Up, Brissle Up, and Hunker Down"

"GAS!!"

"DJ, You're Awesome!"

bigdommer
06-08-2004, 05:32 PM
Nothing will be more classic than "You can put in on the board...Yes"...

...but I find myself and friends using a ton of "He gone." We use it in cards, late night drinking (when a guy passes out), killing cicadas...anything.

scottyl
06-09-2004, 12:18 AM
I luv using Hawkisms! Hawkisms...yeeessss!

illinibk
06-09-2004, 12:32 AM
How can I work "right size, wrong shape" into everyday life?

HawkDJ
06-09-2004, 12:34 AM
I still say Hawk needs to release a workout video with clips of him saying "Stretch!" and "Get up!" tied into some workout music.

valposoxfan
06-09-2004, 12:54 AM
Stretch, get up!! is one of my favorite Hawkisms or "Stretch, he looks up!!" is another great one. I can't get enough.

elrod
06-09-2004, 01:16 AM
I hate to say it but the best Hawkism is when the other team gets a big hit and Hawk says, "It's a 5-4 ballgame" or something like that with complete exasperation. Sort of like, "I don't know how that happened." It perfectly encapsulates my feelings watching a game they blow. Like a balloon that lets out - sometimes anger but usually just resignation. It's the flip side to the happy hawkism but it's better than the excited neutrality of most other announcers.

mdep524
06-09-2004, 01:28 AM
I love how everyone is saying they use Hawkisms when they play poker, I do the same thing with my friends! Whenever somebody folds, someone says "he gone." Also, bobj4400, I've also used "that's trouble" for flush or straight flops when we're playing hold 'em!! :)

hellenicsoxfan
06-09-2004, 02:05 AM
Hawkisms also creep into our poker games. The crudest is when, after playing cards, eating chips and pizza and drinking beer, someone inevitably breaks wind. Just as inevitably, someone chimes in with "GAS!"

valposoxfan
06-09-2004, 02:08 AM
The depressed, "That balls hit deep, Lee looks up, and this ballgame is over. The Sox drop the rubber game of this three game series 7-6. We'll be back." is still incredible to me. It makes me want to kill myself more than i already did. Looking back it makes me laugh though too.

mmmmmbeeer
06-09-2004, 02:11 AM
My brother brought up a good point, why don't they play "you can put it on the board, yes!" over the loudspeaker at the park after each home run?

batmanZoSo
06-09-2004, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by illinibk

You never wanna hear a girl say that to you. Or maybe you do..I don't know... :?:

anewman35
06-09-2004, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by mmmmmbeeer
My brother brought up a good point, why don't they play "you can put it on the board, yes!" over the loudspeaker at the park after each home run?

Who knows, it might happen. They've been putting "you can put it on the board...YES!" on the LED boards after home runs recently. I also noticed them using "Grab Some Bench", "He Gone", and "Gas" at various points.

just_visiting
06-09-2004, 09:21 AM
On SportsCenter last night after the game, they played every single "you can put it on the board...YES!" from the game, one after the other.

fledgedrallycap
06-09-2004, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
"He gawn!" and "Mercy!" are creeping into my regular vocabulary. HAWK RULES! :cool:

I'm with you, I've been pulling the "Mercy!" out of the closet lately.

SEALgep
06-09-2004, 11:07 AM
The Score had a clip of Chip saying, "It's trouble if it stays fair." Didn't say it as smoothly as Hawk, but obviously it's catching on to other announcers as well.

Dadawg_77
06-09-2004, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by just_visiting
On SportsCenter last night after the game, they played every single "you can put it on the board...YES!" from the game, one after the other.

They also contrasted it with his call of Thome's HR.

Baby Fisk
06-09-2004, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
The Score had a clip of Chip saying, "It's trouble if it stays fair." Didn't say it as smoothly as Hawk, but obviously it's catching on to other announcers as well.

:chimp
"Of course, I inherited that classic phrase from my pop and have made it my own. Cubbies...YES!"

[*dripping with sarcasm*] "Chip, you're awesome."

IowaHawksFan1
06-09-2004, 11:35 AM

In regards to this comment about SportsCenter playing all the "YOU CAN PUT it ON THE BOARD...YES!" clips they also said, "now listen to this last call by the announcer" and they showed the Thome HR in the 9th while playing Hawks clip. Then they made a comment I couldn't hear, but it didn't sound bad.

Palehose13
06-09-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by IowaHawksFan1
In regards to this comment about SportsCenter playing all the "YOU CAN PUT it ON THE BOARD...YES!" clips they also said, "now listen to this last call by the announcer" and they showed the Thome HR in the 9th while playing Hawks clip. Then they made a comment I couldn't hear, but it didn't sound bad.

Anyone know what that was about? Hawk's calls of opposing team's fortune is also classic...even thoug I don't like to hear it.

bobj4400
06-09-2004, 11:39 AM

(In a monotone depressed voice) "And you can put that one on the board."

Rocklive99
06-09-2004, 12:05 PM
http://boards.espn.go.com/cgi/mlb/request.dll?MESSAGE&room=mlb_chc&id=1112545&move=firstThread

Grr :angry: White Sox fans, attack!

wdelaney72
06-09-2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap
I'm with you, I've been pulling the "Mercy!" out of the closet lately.

What do you mean "lately"?

You've had mercy in full effect all year.

wdelaney72
06-09-2004, 12:08 PM

That would actually indicate that Bristol acknowledged a baseball team west of the Hudson River.

I'm amazed.

wdelaney72
06-09-2004, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by anewman35
Who knows, it might happen. They've been putting "you can put it on the board...YES!" on the LED boards after home runs recently. I also noticed them using "Grab Some Bench", "He Gone", and "Gas" at various points.

Nothing made me happier last year when they brought out "He Gone!" during the games.

eurotrash35
06-09-2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Rocklive99
http://boards.espn.go.com/cgi/mlb/request.dll?MESSAGE&room=mlb_chc&id=1112545&move=firstThread

Grr :angry: White Sox fans, attack!

Does anybody else just hate the format of the MLB boards? I can't even post there because it's such a cluster-you-know-what.

bobj4400
06-09-2004, 02:17 PM
From the Cubs board commenting on how they played Hawk during the Sox homeruns on SC last night: "At least it showed what terrible homer announcers they've got down there... "

This from fans who have Chimp screaming "That balls belted!! And it's going to be caught 10 feet shy of the warning track..."

Paulwny
06-09-2004, 02:39 PM
I know I had heard the "can of corn" spoken when I was a kid. I just looked it up on Google and it appears it was coined in 1896.
Sorry, Hawk didn't coin those words.

vegyrex
06-09-2004, 02:48 PM
I've been using Hawkisms for nearly ten years.
"Put it on the board, yes!!", and "Mercy" have been getting plenty of use from me. :D:

Palehose13
06-09-2004, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
I know I had heard the "can of corn" spoken when I was a kid. I just looked it up on Google and it appears it was coined in 1896.
Sorry, Hawk didn't coin those words.

Yes, some "Hawkisms" have been used in baseball for many years (for example, ducks on the pond). But in those instances he's like the Japanese...He didn't invent it, but he perfected it!

just_visiting
06-09-2004, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by bobj4400
From the Cubs board commenting on how they played Hawk during the Sox homeruns on SC last night: "At least it showed what terrible homer announcers they've got down there... " I've never understood why anyone would want an announcer to not be a homer. They aren't reporters, they're part of the entertainment. I want the announcer for my team to be excited about my team.

White_Sock
06-09-2004, 04:36 PM
Was watching the Scrubs after Prior got grand slammed
today and heard the Chimp say:

"popped 'im up... can o' corn for Patterson"

mike squires
06-09-2004, 04:43 PM
Whenever our little girl zonks out an falls asleep we say, "she's gone...."

DaveIsHere
06-09-2004, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by White_Sock
Was watching the Scrubs after Prior got grand slammed
today and heard the Chimp say:

"popped 'im up... can o' corn for Patterson"

WHAT A TURD, HE STOLE THE JOB BECAUSE IT WAS HIS GRANFATHERS AND NOW HE IS STEALING HAWKS LINE....you cub fans will twist this around and say Hawk stole them from Blip Caray :angry:

Mohoney
06-09-2004, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Palehose13

"I luuuv venom!"

Hold on to this woman like grim death. She shows wisdom beyond her years, and a genuine, bona-fide mean streak toward the saccharine atmosphere permeating from the TV screen when the Scrubs are on. What more could you ask for?

HawkDJ
06-09-2004, 04:55 PM
I've never understood why anyone would want an announcer to not be a homer. They aren't reporters, they're part of the entertainment. I want the announcer for my team to be excited about my team.

I agree. I love Hawk because he represents exactly what Sox fans feel. But I could undertsand why other fans would hate Hawk. Imagine if Chip and Steve did that for every Cubs home run.

illiniwhitesox
06-09-2004, 04:57 PM
I fully plan to use this when I tee it up to play golf next week. I'm waiting for a friend to wiff one so I can yell,

"And He Pulled The String On Him"

Muopsies
06-09-2004, 05:00 PM
Best use of hawkisms i ever saw was after glorious game 6 last fall and on the chicagosports.com message board on the right side of the screen, they had responses to the question "what will the cubs do tomorrow" or something like that. Some great White Sox fan replied: "well, its time for kerry to sinch it up and hunker down. ah, who am i kidding? THEY GONE" i thought that was great.

Whitesox029
06-09-2004, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by joeynach
There is phenomenon catching on in and around chicago and its residents. Hawkisms are become the cool and funny catch phrases. I have been hearing them everywhere I go, all my friends are saying them, and there is always a situation (sports or not) where they fit. I was at U of I this past weekend hanging out with some friends, partying and all. We were playing bag toss all weekend and everyone would always call "STRETCH or GET UP" when the bag was midlight and needed it to land on the board. Whenever someone strikes out, or leaves a game, or anything where they are removed from something, someone always says "HE GONE". Im hearing hawk everywhere for everyting. AWSOME!!
I do it all the time--I was playing 2nd the other day and a guy made first on a grounder to me because of a double clutch. After the inning the coach asked me what went wrong and I said without even thinking, "Couldn't find the ears on it." The coach, a Cub fan, didn't know what I was talking about.

Also of note: I heard Chip Caray use "can of corn" today, though I think that might be too widespread to be considered a "Hawkism"

valposoxfan
06-09-2004, 07:53 PM
One of the classics is "grab some bench". You can never go wrong with that. My freshman year of college I was taking French and some kid stood up to give a presentation and just butchered, and right in the middle of it my buddy to the right of me said out loud, "grab some bench." The whole class died and I didn't stop laughing for almost ten minutes. Also, I still love "You can cancel the postgame show."

gosox41
06-09-2004, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by illinibk

I have one way to do it in the summer. Just walk down by the beaches and check out the women hagning out there. Some of them fit this description perfectly.

:D:

Bob

batmanZoSo
06-10-2004, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by valposoxfan
One of the classics is "grab some bench". You can never go wrong with that. My freshman year of college I was taking French and some kid stood up to give a presentation and just butchered, and right in the middle of it my buddy to the right of me said out loud, "grab some bench." The whole class died and I didn't stop laughing for almost ten minutes. Also, I still love "You can cancel the postgame show."

Did you go to my high school? :smile:

I did the exact same thing but in English class. Same reaction, but I also got 3 detentions.

But, would I do it again? Yes.

illiniwhitesox
06-10-2004, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by illiniwhitesox
I fully plan to use this when I tee it up to play golf next week. I'm waiting for a friend to wiff one so I can yell,

"And He Pulled The String On Him"

Thought of another addition, when someone hits it out-of-bounds,

"And there's another sourvenir"

mdep524
06-10-2004, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by valposoxfan

"You can cancel the postgame show" is still my favorite Hawkism. It doesn't fit in too many situations, still I try to get it in as much as possible. :D: