PDA

View Full Version : 1977 Uniform Question

chisox1313
06-08-2004, 08:59 AM
I have a quick question that I am hoping somebody can answer. I just picked up an alternate 1977 Sox Hat (white crown/blue lettering and bill) from Grandstand. I have loved this hat since I was a kid and saw it on the 1977 Chet Lemon Topps card. This is the only place I have ever seen it - on the card that is. Does anybody recall this actually being used in a game? I cannot recall although I was only 6 at the time.

thanks
rp

Procol Harum
06-08-2004, 09:03 AM
Don't ever remember seeing it worn in a game. Seems like I have a faint memory of a short while where some teams were not only sporting batting practice jerseys, but hats as well. Maybe someone else out there might remember this or whether or not the hat you describe ever was worn in a game--maybe in '76?

Hangar18
06-08-2004, 09:11 AM
that was a batting practice hat they used, think they were one of the first to use a BP hat

Railsplitter
06-08-2004, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by chisox1313
I have a quick question that I am hoping somebody can answer. I just picked up an alternate 1977 Sox Hat (white crown/blue lettering and bill) from Grandstand. I have loved this hat since I was a kid and saw it on the 1977 Chet Lemon Topps card. This is the only place I have ever seen it - on the card that is. Does anybody recall this actually being used in a game? I cannot recall although I was only 6 at the time.

thanks
rp

It was worn in 1976. It got dirty too easily, that's why it was abandoned. Baseball card pictures are generally from the previous season, which is why you'll see 1976 Sox card with guys in red pin stripes and 1982 cards with the Sox in the Navy blue and white unis.

It wasn't until the early 80s when card companies came out with "Update" and "Traded" sets later in the season. Somenody (I forget who) had the foresight to include September call-ups in their original 1983 series and thus had the distinction of having Ron Kittle's rookie cards in stock when the season started

chisox1313
06-08-2004, 09:17 AM
Thanks all for your responses. Great info.

rp

Lip Man 1
06-08-2004, 10:33 AM
I also recall reading /seeing that MLB asked (ordered?) the Sox to stop using the white hat because of safety reasons.

Some pitchers, because of their motion, were releasing the ball in an area where it was passing through the white hat from the batters point of view. They couldn't see the ball and MLB felt that this could be dangerous if a hitter had a pitch coming towards his head.

Lip

dirty_k
06-08-2004, 10:49 AM
I'll have to check out the hat next time I'm there. Always good to know the story behind things.

Brian26
06-08-2004, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Railsplitter
It wasn't until the early 80s when card companies came out with "Update" and "Traded" sets later in the season. Somenody (I forget who) had the foresight to include September call-ups in their original 1983 series and thus had the distinction of having Ron Kittle's rookie cards in stock when the season started

Actually, Kittle's '83 card is indeed from the TRADED set. He didn't have a regularly issued '83 card with the rest of the team, even though he did come up at the end of '82.

I think there were 6 cards in the Sox traded set that year: Floyd Bannister, Kittle, Walker, Juice Cruz, Dybzinski, and Tidrow.

soxnut
06-08-2004, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
I also recall reading /seeing that MLB asked (ordered?) the Sox to stop using the white hat because of safety reasons.

Some pitchers, because of their motion, were releasing the ball in an area where it was passing through the white hat from the batters point of view. They couldn't see the ball and MLB felt that this could be dangerous if a hitter had a pitch coming towards his head.

Lip

It was a few years ago that the Reds had white hats. ESPN showed Jeff Brantley pitching with one on, so I don't know how much MLB regulates that. :?:

Brian26
06-08-2004, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Railsplitter
It was worn in 1976.

It was only worn for the '76 season. I've seen some footage from a game in Yankee Stadium that year when the Sox had the white hats on.

HITMEN OF 77
06-08-2004, 11:08 AM
The card photos they use are always old. The 1969 Pete Ward shows him in a 1966 uniform. Anyway, the hat was used for a short while then scrapped.

Fisk72
06-08-2004, 01:30 PM
Here are the 1976 home/road uniforms. (http://www.baseballhalloffame.com/exhibits/online_exhibits/dressed_to_the_nines/detail_page.asp?fileName=al_1976_chicago.gif&Entryid=1300)

batmanZoSo
06-08-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Fisk72
Here are the 1976 home/road uniforms. (http://www.baseballhalloffame.com/exhibits/online_exhibits/dressed_to_the_nines/detail_page.asp?fileName=al_1976_chicago.gif&Entryid=1300)

If you take that uniform and standardize it to a normal modern uniform (e.g. no collar, tucked in shirt), those would be excellent. Navy and white, with actual white socks would look really good. The Chicago lettering is great, too. Of course no blue pants...yich..

The current team really should change to white socks. It's just silly.

just_visiting
06-08-2004, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
If you take that uniform and standardize it to a normal modern uniform (e.g. no collar, tucked in shirt), those would be excellent. Navy and white, with actual white socks would look really good. The Chicago lettering is great, too. Of course no blue pants...yich..

The current team really should change to white socks. It's just silly. Please, please, no more uniform changes. Yes to actual white sox with the current uniform, but I've seen enough uniforms in my life to last me forever.

Baby Fisk
06-08-2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo

The current team really should change to white socks. It's just silly.

Agree with all your points. Blue pants would be OK, tho. It would echo the originals from the 1900s that this uniform was modelled upon. These unies would make for a great throwback day. :cool:

robertks61
06-08-2004, 03:04 PM
The white caps were only worn for the first road trip to NY & Boston as I remember back in 1976.

ode to veeck
06-08-2004, 04:34 PM
chisox1313,

Welcome to WSI!!