PDA

View Full Version : Closer By Committee?

Philo-Sox-er
06-08-2004, 09:48 AM
Here's a quote from rotoworld.com, taken from the Daily Southtown that suggests the Sox will use a closer-by-committee:

It seems very likely that the White Sox will employ a closer-by-committee approach for the next little while.
After Billy Koch blew up again on Sunday, manager Ozzie Guillen, who has been very loyal to Koch until now, will likely use a combination of Shingo Takatsu, Damaso Marte and Koch to close out games. Jun. 8 - 7:35 am et
Source: Daily Southtown

What we really need to do is have a go-to established closer. That is a hallmark of every winning team; look at the Red Sox's follies with the closer by committee last year!

jackbrohamer
06-08-2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Philo-Sox-er
What we really need to do is have a go-to established closer. That is a hallmark of every winning team; look at the Red Sox's follies with the closer by committee last year!

I don't disagree, but I think the Red Sox's problem last year was more a function of who was on the "committee" than the fact that they were using one.

batmanZoSo
06-08-2004, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Philo-Sox-er
Here's a quote from rotoworld.com, taken from the Daily Southtown that suggests the Sox will use a closer-by-committee:

There's nothing wrong with C-B-C if that's all you got. And right now it is all we got..we'll find out if Shingo can do it but it's probably best to gradually ease him into the job. I think he will succeed, but you never know. Koch should be nothing more than a mop-up man now, though. I really hope it's just Shingo and Marte.