PDA

View Full Version : Hawkins calls out Koch

Hangar18
06-08-2004, 09:26 AM
In his Jerk-ish tirade to the media yesterday, he said
"Im not gonna keep you on the edge of your seat like Koch did the other day". I personally thought it was funny.
Im sort of glad other teams think KOCH stinks too ..................

bobj4400
06-08-2004, 09:30 AM
That isnt really what he said. He said that he isnt going to apologize for keeping people on the edge of their seats like Koch did the other day.

fledgedrallycap
06-08-2004, 09:30 AM
Not to bust your chops Hangar, but Hawkins mentioned he wouldn't apologize for keeping fans on the edge of their seats like Koch did to us. Still pretty funny in that he takes a shot at Koch, just in a little bit different context.

SEALgep
06-08-2004, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by bobj4400
That isnt really what he said. He said that he isnt going to apologize for keeping people on the edge of their seats like Koch did the other day. That's not so bad, but maybe he should have included Borowski.

Palehose13
06-08-2004, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
That's not so bad, but maybe he should have included Borowski.

But LaTroy doesn't think it's right to criticize sweaty Joe-blow. Double standard?

SEALgep
06-08-2004, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Palehose13
But LaTroy doesn't think it's right to criticize sweaty Joe-blow. Double standard? I just heard on the Score, he said that he doesn't care if the fans sweat it out, that's their problem as long as he gets the job done. He said Koch before then was getting the job done and didn't think he should have apologized.

Hangar18
06-08-2004, 10:05 AM
Yeah....I do note no mention on his own Player, I still like
it that hes DISSING billy koch

valposoxfan
06-08-2004, 10:08 AM
LaTroy is sadly mistaken if he thought Billy was doing the job before the other night.

MRKARNO
06-08-2004, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Yeah....I do note no mention on his own Player, I still like
it that hes DISSING billy koch

Not really. He was just referring to how Billy Koch always apologizes to the media/fans/everyone after he blows a save and was just saying how unlike Billy Koch he wasn't going to do that. He wasn't calling Billy out or anything.

Palehose13
06-08-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Not really. He was just referring to how Billy Koch always apologizes to the media/fans/everyone after he blows a save and was just saying how unlike Billy Koch he wasn't going to do that. He wasn't calling Billy out or anything.

Ummm...how is it not "calling a guy out" when he says his name? :?:

SoxFan14
06-08-2004, 12:51 PM
Calling a guy out means "dissing" him. Hawkins was not dissing Koch, he was just referring to something Koch did, which was apologize to the media/fans for his performance. The reason he did not include Borowski was because Borowski didn't apologize in the past either.

Hawkins' whole point is that they shouldn't have to apologize for making mistakes. In fact, he was probably defending Koch more than anything.

SEALgep
06-08-2004, 01:04 PM
Ummm...how is it not "calling a guy out" when he says his name? :?: If he is "calling him out" it's about apologizing not his pitching.

bigdommer
06-09-2004, 09:59 AM
http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/columns/arvia/x09-ard1.htm

A nice article pretty much telling Hawkins to shut his trap.

Palehose13
06-09-2004, 10:08 AM
You know, he may not be getting the job done, but if he really means what he says...I really kinda like the guy.

"Everybody expects me to get the job done," Koch said. "When I don't get the job done, I feel like I need to apologize.

"These people pay their hard-earned money, whatever the cost of a ticket is, to come out here and watch a game. We have the lead and I blow it, I screw it up for the team, screw it up for the city, the fans who are rooting us on then, yeah, I think I do have an obligation to apologize, because I ruined it for them.

"Maybe I ruined their kid's first baseball game, and he's a diehard Chicago White Sox fan. Maybe I ruined that for him: 'The first Chicago White Sox game I went to they lost. Yeah, Billy Koch gave it up in the ninth.' You know? So I feel like I do have an obligation to apologize."

After reading that, I think the guy is really, really hard on himself...wow.

DSpivack
06-09-2004, 10:12 AM
You know, he may not be getting the job done, but if he really means what he says...I really kinda like the guy.

I see no reason to hate or even dislike Billy Koch, merely the pitches he throws. He seems like a decent fellow, I kinda feel sorry for the guy; same reason I had some sympathy for a Rick Ankiel, etc. Then again, these guys are getting paid millions to get a job done and just can't do it, for whatever reason.

bigdommer
06-09-2004, 10:14 AM

There is no doubt about it, Koch is a good guy. In the Baltimore series at Camden, he was so pleasant to both Sox fans and Oriole fans. Not only was he all about signing for the kids before the game, he started a conversation with me and my buddy (who was in an Oriole jersey). Just a genuinely nice guy, despite the soul patch.

I just wish he was meaner on the mound.

Palehose13
06-09-2004, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by DSpivack
I see no reason to hate or even dislike Billy Koch, merely the pitches he throws. He seems like a decent fellow, I kinda feel sorry for the guy; same reason I had some sympathy for a Rick Ankiel, etc. Then again, these guys are getting paid millions to get a job done and just can't do it, for whatever reason.

This makes me appreciate his reluctance to "cop an attitude" even more.

There is no doubt about it, Koch is a good guy. In the Baltimore series at Camden, he was so pleasant to both Sox fans and Oriole fans. Not only was he all about signing for the kids before the game, he started a conversation with me and my buddy (who was in an Oriole jersey). Just a genuinely nice guy, despite the soul patch.

Nice story.

"Hate the performance, not the man." :smile:

petekat
06-09-2004, 07:25 PM
today's follow up piece in the Sun times- discussion about how he called Pierzynskin out for being a jackass. Nice to see that he doesn't back down from a challenge- and is willing to be accountable to the media and fans for his performance. If only he didnt suck! I wonder if others in the clubhouse rally around him- he sounds like the type to be a leader

awesomefan
06-09-2004, 08:03 PM
Palehose13: I'm glad you posted that article quoting Billy Koch. I read all that & more in my local newspsper, Peoria Journal Star.

The Journal Star had even more that made it very clear about what both these guys are like.

I thought I wanted LaTroy Hawkins on the White Sox team, but no more. I didn't know he was such a jerk toward his fans.

Now I realize that Billy Koch is a Good Guy, even though he drives us all crazy most of the time. At least he really does want to win & not just for his own ego. He truely feels bad about not coming through for the fans.

I can't dislike the guy after hearing all this. I would blame management if they do continue to use Billy Koch if he continues to do poorly for the most part.

I want Billy to turn around & start being as great as he wants to be.

I'll try to get the whole article I was talkin' 'bout & post it here asap, so other Sox Fans can better understand this situation.

The article also said that most of the players tell Billy he is too hard on himself & they don't hate him. Even though Billy said "everybody hates me anyway".

Yes, Billy Koch has made most of us very angry & I have given him the name "The Anti-Sox". But for now I will lay off Billy. At least he is trying out there even if it doesn't look like it. At least he will stand up & admit his mistakes & take it like a man.

petekat
06-09-2004, 10:27 PM
an idea: folks bring a banner to the park, preferably out in LF bullpen in view of the bullpen - to let him (and the team) know that at least a segment of the fan base is behind him, and hoping he turns it around. as uncomfortable as it may be to stick by him- the team really needs him in the closer role- as Farmer and Rooney noted the other night- there really is no other role for him on the team- and this allows the other guys in the pen to fit more comforable situational roles