PDA

View Full Version : Great Sox draft Quotes...

Randar68
06-08-2004, 12:38 AM
a couple from Phil Rogers' write-up in BA:

After losing Bartolo Colon and Tom Gordon to free agency, the White Sox had six of the first 69 picks. It took $5.2 million to sign those picks in the 2003 draft but Shaffer indicated the Sox had been given sufficient budget to sign all their picks. "We did our homework (with the picks), talked to agents,'' he said. "Jerry Reinsdorf has been tremendous He said take the best players and that's what we did, and we got 'em.''

Gonzalez had been projected as a first-rounder before being dismissed from the team this year. "He's got a plus fastball, a plus curveball,'' Shaffer said. "We've seen him many times over the last few years and we really like what we're getting. We think he's beyond what a high school kid is.''

A native of Stillwater, Okla., Fields first paid attention to the White Sox when they selected Oklahoma State's Robin Ventura in the first round of the 1988 draft. He says he adopted the Sox as one of his favorite teams after playing a video game that bore Frank Thomas' name.

"I wanted to have all my favorite teams in one city, so I was a Bulls, White Sox guy,'' Fields said. "There're a lot of Cub fans around here, for some reason, so I caught grief for being a Bulls, White Sox fan.''

Good stuff, Phil.

MRKARNO
06-08-2004, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by Randar68

Gonzalez had been projected as a first-rounder before being dismissed from the team this year. "He's got a plus fastball, a plus curveball,'' Shaffer said. "We've seen him many times over the last few years and we really like what we're getting. We think he's beyond what a high school kid is.''

"I wanted to have all my favorite teams in one city, so I was a Bulls, White Sox guy,'' Fields said. "There're a lot of Cub fans around here, for some reason, so I caught grief for being a Bulls, White Sox fan.''[/I]

Two things. First, it's pretty cool that we drafted a guy who's a Sox fan too.

Second, the Sox are convinced that this Gio Gonzalez is going to at least start in Kannapolis by the end of the year at worst (as overheard by some in the draft conference call). They seem to be very high on him and I must say that from what I've seen, they're right. That backdoor curveball on that one kid in the scouting video was truly amazing.

EDIT: I went back and listened to the broadcast because the White Sox scouting people did leave their mic on after selecting Gonzalez.

It went something to the effect of

Person A: He's good enough to go to Kannapolis already

Person B: Definately

It's about 5:45 in on the Supplemental round audio thing

soltrain21
06-08-2004, 12:44 AM
Man, too bad Big Hurt baseball was such a bad game!

Randar68
06-08-2004, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Two things. First, it's pretty cool that we drafted a guy who's a Sox fan too.

Second, the Sox are convinced that this Gio Gonzalez is going to at least start in Kannapolis by the end of the year at worst (as overheard by some in the draft conference call). They seem to be very high on him and I must say that from what I've seen, they're right. That backdoor curveball on that one kid in the scouting video was truly amazing.

Gonzalez is pretty polished for a kid his age. People went ape-**** on college pitchers this year, but as I predicted, some good HS talent fell due to this obsession.

Chrisaway
06-08-2004, 12:47 AM
it was decent for computer

CWSGuy406
06-08-2004, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by soltrain21
Man, too bad Big Hurt baseball was such a bad game!

I loved that game! It was my first game for PS1. Too bad I broke it, I got pissed off so I threw the disk across the room, and it broke. I'm very competitive in my video game playing, and I get angry when I lose. I guess I lost, lol.

soltrain21
06-08-2004, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by CWSGuy406
I loved that game! It was my first game for PS1. Too bad I broke it, I got pissed off so I threw the disk across the room, and it broke. I'm very competitive in my video game playing, and I get angry when I lose. I guess I lost, lol.

It was my first game, too. Mickey Morandini could hit like 699 foot homeruns, it was crazy.

Iguana775
06-08-2004, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by CWSGuy406

LOL...i just throw the controller down and swear a lot.

jabrch
06-08-2004, 10:49 AM
Gonzalez is pretty polished for a kid his age. People went ape-**** on college pitchers this year, but as I predicted, some good HS talent fell due to this obsession.

Is this the "MoneyBall Effect"?

Randar68
06-08-2004, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by jabrch

Yes. I've been alluding to it for the past year or so... well, six months at least. It wasn't a terrific HS draft, but even without Adenhardt, it was still a decent HS draft. Homey Bailey, Rogers, Elbert, and Gonzalez were probably the 4 most polished HS pitches. Add in that Gonzalez has the best HS breaking ball and maybe the best LH'd HS fastball, and that's real good value out of a late sandwich pick. The durability concerns are definitely going to be there, and the Sox will have to take it easy with him.

The Sox drafted 4 HS's (3 pitchers) in the first 10 rounds (14 picks), with one of those HS kids likely to be DFE's.

Interesting tidbit on Tim Murphey from BA:

Lanky LHP Tim Murphey has an excellent pitcher's frame at 6-foot-3, 165 pounds, and he's wiry strong. His loose arm helps him blow hitters away with an 89-92 mph fastball that has touched 94. He's not a strong student and is considered signable, though he's raw and needs work on his secondary stuff.

So, the Sox should end up signing Murphey and Gonzalez, and waiting for the DFE results on Harrell.

Brandon Allen is an interesting case, but the Sox usually have no problem taking HS players early, and they only took 4 out of 14 picks in the top 10 rounds...

Chisoxfn
06-08-2004, 11:34 AM
Yes. I've been alluding to it for the past year or so... well, six months at least. It wasn't a terrific HS draft, but even without Adenhardt, it was still a decent HS draft. Homey Bailey, Rogers, Elbert, and Gonzalez were probably the 4 most polished HS pitches. Add in that Gonzalez has the best HS breaking ball and maybe the best LH'd HS fastball, and that's real good value out of a late sandwich pick. The durability concerns are definitely going to be there, and the Sox will have to take it easy with him.

The Sox drafted 4 HS's (3 pitchers) in the first 10 rounds (14 picks), with one of those HS kids likely to be DFE's.

Interesting tidbit on Tim Murphey from BA:

Lanky LHP Tim Murphey has an excellent pitcher's frame at 6-foot-3, 165 pounds, and he's wiry strong. His loose arm helps him blow hitters away with an 89-92 mph fastball that has touched 94. He's not a strong student and is considered signable, though he's raw and needs work on his secondary stuff.

So, the Sox should end up signing Murphey and Gonzalez, and waiting for the DFE results on Harrell.

Brandon Allen is an interesting case, but the Sox usually have no problem taking HS players early, and they only took 4 out of 14 picks in the top 10 rounds...
The Sox took a lot more collegiate players then they usually do. I thikn the biggest reason was for signability purposes, but I also like some of the college guys they got. Every year the draft is different and I don't think any team should have one sure fire philosphy (like only draft college guys or go for a ton of high schoolers).

This year the Sox went after a lot of raw power arms, but also took a few guys that know how to pitch. They obviously have faith in their scouts noticing minor mechanical flaws that should be easily fixed and really help the pitchers take off.

Randar68
06-08-2004, 12:18 PM

Funny, Jim Callis just covered this a bit in his draft chat on BA:

Q: Joe from Claremont asks:
What is your opinion of the Dodger's draft picks and your analysis of how the draft picks played out considering the divergent philosophies of Logan White and the Dodger's new G.M.?

A: Jim Callis: I did a column on Logan White and Paul DePodesta when Paul was hired as GM this offseason. Logan isn't a HS guy. He's a best-player-available guy, and with all the emphasis on college players now, a lot of times the best guy on LA's board is a HS player. Paul is intelligent, and he has to respect Logan's 2002-03 drafts, even if Oakland went in an entirely different direction. I believe Logan and he are more on the same page than people think, and they both just want to get the best players possible. Scott Elbert is the second-best lefty in the draft

jabrch
06-08-2004, 12:33 PM
Interesting randar - I just looked at the dodgers draft. That is not at all anything resembling a Beane/Moneyball draft. 6 hs, including 3 of their first 4 picks from HS. 4 JRs and only 10 4YR guys in their first 20 picks. Kinda surprising to me.

Oakland took 3 HSers and the rest 4YR guys. I admit to knowing very little about most of the guys they drafted - only Suzuki looked like a bargain to me. That was an interesting pick - since they had just taken Powell with their #1.

Cinci and the Mets look to have done well also - again based only on snippets and profiles I have read.

Randar68
06-08-2004, 12:36 PM
Interesting randar - I just looked at the dodgers draft. That is not at all anything resembling a Beane/Moneyball draft. 6 hs, including 3 of their first 4 picks from HS. 4 JRs and only 10 4YR guys in their first 20 picks. Kinda surprising to me.

Yep, it plays directly to the unknown situation in LA. The Dodgers have rebuilt their system the past few years and done so mostly on the backs of the HS kids that Logan White has drafted. Many wondered if Depodesta would run the draft or allow Logan White the freedom he previously had. That question appears to have been answered... at least for this year.

Dadawg_77
06-08-2004, 12:43 PM
Yep, it plays directly to the unknown situation in LA. The Dodgers have rebuilt their system the past few years and done so mostly on the backs of the HS kids that Logan White has drafted. Many wondered if Depodesta would run the draft or allow Logan White the freedom he previously had. That question appears to have been answered... at least for this year.

LA and Oakland are two different teams, and different risk tolerances. LA can afford to take more risk then Oakland could. Plus, DePodesta values production and White has produced.

Randar68
06-08-2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
LA and Oakland are two different teams, and different risk tolerances. LA can afford to take more risk then Oakland could. Plus, DePodesta values production and White has produced.

Hugh? Really? Oakland and LA aren't the same teams?

What were you trying to prove with that comment? Inferring that DePodesta will treat his staff like players, valuing production?

I don't really see what you're grasping at here...

Dadawg_77
06-08-2004, 12:50 PM
Hugh? Really? Oakland and LA aren't the same teams?

What were you trying to prove with that comment? Inferring that DePodesta will treat his staff like players, valuing production?

I don't really see what you're grasping at here...

Not grasping at anything, just those who felt DePodesta would treat LA like Oakland really lack an understanding behind the philosophy which was outlined in Moneyball.

joecrede
06-08-2004, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Chisoxfn
They obviously have faith in their scouts noticing minor mechanical flaws that should be easily fixed and really help the pitchers take off.

They obviously do, but should they? Danny Wright is the best success story they've had using this technique. The last Shaffer draft he (over) drafted Wyatt Allen in the 2nd round employing the same philosophy.

I think the success of this draft will hinge on the development of Gonzalez. I like him a lot, but beware of a high school pitcher that throws a hook like that.

jabrch
06-08-2004, 01:36 PM

Too small sample size - and the variances from draft to draft are far too large to mean anything - you know that.

jabrch
06-08-2004, 01:38 PM
Not grasping at anything, just those who felt DePodesta would treat LA like Oakland really lack an understanding behind the philosophy which was outlined in Moneyball.

No - I understand the bible quite well. I was just looking at the drafts those guys had. However, the understanding of moneyball that I have is that you can't project out HS kids like college kids due to a number of reasons. Obviously Depodesta isn't running that draft and White is. For the Dodgers, I am glad Depodesta is not nearly as arrogant as his former boss was.

Dadawg_77
06-08-2004, 02:10 PM

Too small sample size - and the variances from draft to draft are far too large to mean anything - you know that.

No - I understand the bible quite well. I was just looking at the drafts those guys had. However, the understanding of moneyball that I have is that you can't project out HS kids like college kids due to a number of reasons. Obviously Depodesta isn't running that draft and White is. For the Dodgers, I am glad Depodesta is not nearly as arrogant as his former boss was.

Thank you for proving my point, you have really no clue why Beane and company did what they do in Oakland and how the resources of LA totally change the formula and thus the method.