PDA

View Full Version : ASG travesty

StockdaleForVeep
06-07-2004, 11:23 PM
Im sure all of us have taken looks at the voting results so far, and what a shock at bias, Nomah is leading the votes for SS and HASNT EVEN PLAYED! WHAT THE HELL!??!

If its a popularity contest like this im gonna start a massive vote campaign for babe ruth and ted williams. Their numbers speak for themselves i believe.

CubKilla
06-08-2004, 12:48 AM
Sosa is an All-Star starter thus far also.

It must be those power numbers :angry:

StockdaleForVeep
06-08-2004, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Sosa is an All-Star starter thus far also.

It must be those power numbers :angry:

Sosa i can remotely live with due to he played games this season, but nomar didnt even play spring training i believe!!!

Railsplitter
06-08-2004, 09:02 AM
The real travesty is Bud Selig pinning the home field priority in the World Series on which league wins the All-Star Game for no reason other than the fact two manager got caught up in the "everybody plays" mentality. Back in the day, there were two gentelmen who made would have made sure there were enough players around for extra innings: the two league presidents. Getting rid of them was a great idea, Bud

Jjav829
06-08-2004, 10:47 AM
This is what happens when you allow the fans to vote. You are allowing a lot of dopey people to help decide who goes to the game. Let's face it, there are a lot of fans following each team that probably would have a hard time naming more than a dozen players not on their team. So they go grab a ballot, and they fill in every recognizable name they see. "Alex Rodriguez? Heard of him. Punch. Melvin Mora? Who is that. No vote." That aside, there are plenty of fans who will just vote for their teams players even if they do know their baseball. It escalates with the Yankees/Red Sox fans because neither fans want to see the other players in the game. So Boston and New York fans stuff the ballots voting for their teams players to keep the other teams players out. That's how Nomar ends up leading shortstops, and Johnny freaking Damon ends up 2nd while Carlos Beltran toils 8th. It's a shame it works that way, but they'll never take it away because it's "the fans game."

Fridaythe13thJason
06-08-2004, 11:19 AM
Ya know, being that its not really the fans game anymore in that there are real stakes involved, I would think that would be enough reason to change it to let the managers or players vote in the starters. Since the people from those leagues have something to play for, supposedly, fan voting isn't really a good thing.

I'm not saying I like the idea of the home field thing, but if it exists, at least be consistent.

illinibk
06-08-2004, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Railsplitter
The real travesty is Bud Selig pinning the home field priority in the World Series on which league wins the All-Star Game for no reason other than the fact two manager got caught up in the "everybody plays" mentality. Back in the day, there were two gentelmen who made would have made sure there were enough players around for extra innings: the two league presidents. Getting rid of them was a great idea, Bud

I don't really have a problem with the home field advantage thing. I think it makes the managers actually manage. It actually gives the managers a reason to manage, not to just make everyone happy. I would much rather see a good exciting game, like last year, than to see the stiffs from Detroit and Montreal come in durring the 8th inning.

Your point about the lague presidents is dead on, but thats a different discussion for a different day.

MRKARNO
06-08-2004, 10:51 PM
The real travesty would be if Thomas didnt at least make it as a backup.

Mohoney
06-09-2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
The real travesty would be if Thomas didnt at least make it as a backup.

Houston being a NL park will hamper his chances. Hopefully, Joe Torre has enough sense to take Thomas.

StockdaleForVeep
06-09-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Mohoney
Houston being a NL park will hamper his chances. Hopefully, Joe Torre has enough sense to take Thomas.

Jt is havin giambi on his team, either voted or choice. I wont be surprised if frank is not in unless we have to try and vote him in with the extra online thing they did last year when Tek beat out magz, damn bostonians and their clam chowdah.

Another reason why frank wont play since the game has "importance" now and JT will just leave his boy giambi in. We need to slap toree around and tell him that yes his yankee team looks like the all star team but not this time.

red faber
06-10-2004, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by UICJason
supposedly, fan voting isn't really a good thing.

supposedly?????

it's not a good thing!!!

the fact that nomar will be starting in the all star game proves that!!!!!

ewokpelts
06-10-2004, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Jjav829
This is what happens when you allow the fans to vote. You are allowing a lot of dopey people to help decide who goes to the game. Let's face it, there are a lot of fans following each team that probably would have a hard time naming more than a dozen players not on their team. So they go grab a ballot, and they fill in every recognizable name they see. "Alex Rodriguez? Heard of him. Punch. Melvin Mora? Who is that. No vote." That aside, there are plenty of fans who will just vote for their teams players even if they do know their baseball. It escalates with the Yankees/Red Sox fans because neither fans want to see the other players in the game. So Boston and New York fans stuff the ballots voting for their teams players to keep the other teams players out. That's how Nomar ends up leading shortstops, and Johnny freaking Damon ends up 2nd while Carlos Beltran toils 8th. It's a shame it works that way, but they'll never take it away because it's "the fans game."

they did...for about 15 years.
Gene

DaveIsHere
06-10-2004, 10:46 AM
This is a Traveshamockery!!

Frater Perdurabo
06-10-2004, 11:06 AM
Isn't Frank on the ballot at 1B?

Where is he among AL 1Bs in voting?

Railsplitter
06-11-2004, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by red faber
supposedly?????

it's not a good thing!!!

the fact that nomar will be starting in the all star game proves that!!!!!

Nomar won't start. Injured players who lead the vote at thier possition are passed over.

Jjav829
06-11-2004, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Railsplitter
Nomar won't start. Injured players who lead the vote at thier possition are passed over.

Nomar is playing again. I think Jeter has overtaken him in the lead though. I'd rather see Nomar start. He may have been injured, but he's still better than the overrated Jeter.

Champs2004
06-13-2004, 10:23 AM
Every time i vote for the ASG i look at the people who deserve it this year. in all honesty, Frank, Uribe, Maggs and maybe Lee deserve to go. Knowing this, i wish that fans had more sense. Look, if any NYY or Boston fan is looking at this, the baseball world doesnt revolve around Fenway and the Bronx

RKMeibalane
06-13-2004, 10:39 AM
Isn't Frank on the ballot at 1B?

Where is he among AL 1Bs in voting?
He is fifth right now, so he's going to need help from us in order to gain ground on the rest of the first basemen.

RKMeibalane
06-13-2004, 10:41 AM
Nomar is playing again. I think Jeter has overtaken him in the lead though. I'd rather see Nomar start. He may have been injured, but he's still better than the overrated Jeter.
I agree. With the exception of the past week, Jeter has been terrible this season and clearly does not deserve to be in the AS Game. If Nomar being voted in keeps Jeter out, that's fine with me.