PDA

View Full Version : Diaz finally loses for Charlotte

A. Cavatica
06-08-2004, 12:09 AM
Buffalo routed Charlotte, 10-0, behind Scott Elarton. Felix Diaz allowed just 2 runs through six innings, but ran into trouble in the seventh, when 8 scored. Looks like he may have been chased by a slam.

F Diaz (L,8-1) 6 8 8 7 2 3

Reed went 0-for-4 with a K, Borchard 0-for-3 with 2 Ks.

Birmingham beat Montgomery, 2-1. Villacis (the guy we just acquired from KC) pitched well and the bullpen threw three perfect innings to close it out.

E Villacis 6 3 1 1 3 6
M Smith (W,1-1) 2 0 0 0 0 1
J Bajenaru (S,8) 1 0 0 0 0 3

Randar68
06-08-2004, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by A. Cavatica
Buffalo routed Charlotte, 10-0, behind Scott Elarton. Felix Diaz allowed just 2 runs through six innings, but ran into trouble in the seventh, when 8 scored. Looks like he may have been chased by a slam.

F Diaz (L,8-1) 6 8 8 7 2 3

Reed went 0-for-4 with a K, Borchard 0-for-3 with 2 Ks.

Birmingham beat Montgomery, 2-1. Villacis (the guy we just acquired from KC) pitched well and the bullpen threw three perfect innings to close it out.

E Villacis 6 3 1 1 3 6
M Smith (W,1-1) 2 0 0 0 0 1
J Bajenaru (S,8) 1 0 0 0 0 3

Anderson and Rogowski both went 2-4 with a BB and Anderson had a double, while Sweeney went 0-3 with 2 BB's. Valido had a rough night in the field (with 3 errors) but went 2-4 at the plate with a double, a walk, and a double while hitting leadoff.

mendozaln
06-08-2004, 12:20 AM
The Buffalo game was brutal, one HR after another. After a fun day of draft-watching I was hoping for some more good Sox news. Pushing my luck a bit... Six good innings from Diaz IS good news, I know. It's just that I tuned in right before the slam.

MRKARNO
06-08-2004, 12:26 AM
That's great news out of Birmingham. I knew we made a great pickup when we essentially stole that Villacis when he was put on waivers. I bet he pitches in AAA before it's all said and done.

But what does Bajernaru have to do to finally get his well deserved promotion?? He coulld do the job as well or better than Politte or Koch.

maurice
06-08-2004, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
But what does Bajernaru have to do to finally get his well deserved promotion?

You think a 0.73 ERA, 0.77 WHIP, 1.54 K/IP, and 6.3 K/BB justifies a promotion?

Anderson and Rogowski are ready, willing, and able to take his roster spot.

Randar68
06-08-2004, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by maurice
Anderson and Rogowski are ready, willing, and able to take his roster spot.

Uhhh, with the Honel and Wing injuries, don't you think they'd be looking for a pitcher to replace a pitcher?

maurice
06-08-2004, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
with the Honel and Wing injuries, don't you think they'd be looking for a pitcher to replace a pitcher?

I count 12 pitchers on their roster currently, not including Honel. Birmingham definitely could use starting pitching (especially RHP), but it doesn't look like W-S can offer much help right now in that respect. Fortunately, they were able to add Duncan and Villacis from elsewhere, and they always could bring Yofu back. Birmingham's pen, OTOH, has been quite good. Fields could slide right into the closer role.

Unless I'm missing something special about McNeal, Franklin, and Murphy, there certainly are potential openings for Anderson and/or Rogowski at CF and 1B respectively. As a bonus, promoting Anderson would allow Brice to move up to W-S from Kanny.

Randar68
06-08-2004, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by maurice
Unless I'm missing something special about McNeal, Franklin, and Murphy, there certainly are potential openings for Anderson and/or Rogowski at CF and 1B respectively. As a bonus, promoting Anderson would allow Brice to move up to W-S from Kanny.

Nope, you hit the nail on the head there. The real problem is that W-S doesn't really have any promotable pitchers right now.

Some of these college pitchers are sure to see time in Kanny or W-S and McCarthy certainly has been deserving of a promotion, even with his poor last outing...

bigdommer
06-08-2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
That's great news out of Birmingham. I knew we made a great pickup when we essentially stole that Villacis when he was put on waivers. I bet he pitches in AAA before it's all said and done.

But what does Bajernaru have to do to finally get his well deserved promotion?? He coulld do the job as well or better than Politte or Koch.

Anybody got the scouting report on Bajernaru??? What kind of stuff does he have?

Rex Hudler
06-08-2004, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by bigdommer
Anybody got the scouting report on Bajernaru??? What kind of stuff does he have?

88-91 mph fastball, topping out at 93 on occasion..... good command...... throws a curveball and a cutter/slider (slutter?)... pitches agressively and gets ahead, yet stays away from the middle of the plate..... puts hitters away with the breaking balls or a well placed fastball on the black. Very confident right now..

Rex Hudler
06-08-2004, 09:04 PM
Anderson will likely be in Birmingham within the next few weeks (June 21 perhaps)...... I think Rogowski deserves a shot, but I don't see them releasing McNeal.... Murphy is a solid OF and a good veteran presence...... Franklin is long gone...... Honel may be back in action soon..... Munoz will likely be your Saturday starter for the White Sox.

maurice
06-09-2004, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the info, Rex.